Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Right of redress or naivety?

Right of redress or naivety?

Old Oct 24th 2005, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Roadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to behold
Default Right of redress or naivety?

Seasoned US dwellers,

I would appreciate a bit of advice. I spent the spring and early summer here on the VWP wrapping up some business for my company. While here, it became apparent that we needed my job function in the US office more than the UK. So we arranged my transfer. I went home and got an L1A visa, and came back last week. Before I left the US last time, I arranged a house purchase (surprisingly little problem with mortgage), with a closing date of Nov 15th. One of the stipulations on the mortgage was that I had to have a social security number. No problem with L1 visa.

Today I went to the social security office to submit the application. I was told that the INS had not updated the computer and to come back in two weeks time. Now this will impact my house closing, which will have to be delayed. Since that means I have to remain in rented accomodation longer, then I will lose tangible money. The arrangement with my company is that I can have 3 months in rented accomodation, and if I move out within those 3 months, I can expense the balance on furniture for the new house.

None of this was explained by any of the SSA information on the website, nor the INS inspector. Until the SSN is issued, I can't even be paid. The same deal with the house also applies to my rental car. Do I have any right of redress, or method of expediting this? Or am I just plain naive in expecting to be able to apply striaght away for the number that lets me pay taxes and be all legal?

Sensible suggestions gratefully received.

Yours,

Frustrated, Atlanta
Old Oct 24th 2005, 10:18 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Right of redress or naivety?

Who are you looking for redress from - INS? SSA? Don't know, but wouldn't think you have a cat in hells chance. Is there anything your company can do to try to help?
Old Oct 24th 2005, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

bionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Roadster280
Seasoned US dwellers,

I would appreciate a bit of advice. I spent the spring and early summer here on the VWP wrapping up some business for my company. While here, it became apparent that we needed my job function in the US office more than the UK. So we arranged my transfer. I went home and got an L1A visa, and came back last week. Before I left the US last time, I arranged a house purchase (surprisingly little problem with mortgage), with a closing date of Nov 15th. One of the stipulations on the mortgage was that I had to have a social security number. No problem with L1 visa.

Today I went to the social security office to submit the application. I was told that the INS had not updated the computer and to come back in two weeks time. Now this will impact my house closing, which will have to be delayed. Since that means I have to remain in rented accomodation longer, then I will lose tangible money. The arrangement with my company is that I can have 3 months in rented accomodation, and if I move out within those 3 months, I can expense the balance on furniture for the new house.

None of this was explained by any of the SSA information on the website, nor the INS inspector. Until the SSN is issued, I can't even be paid. The same deal with the house also applies to my rental car. Do I have any right of redress, or method of expediting this? Or am I just plain naive in expecting to be able to apply striaght away for the number that lets me pay taxes and be all legal?

Yours,

Frustrated, Atlanta
Sorry, frustrated, but I think naiive is appropriate, in this case. Right of redress might pertain if there had been a guarantee offered that something would be available immediately and that is no longer the case. Were you given a guarantee?
Old Oct 24th 2005, 10:20 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Seasoned US dwellers,

Yours,

Frustrated, Atlanta
Have no fear. Make sure that you know everything that you need then apply for the SSN in 2 weeks.
Within 48 hours of filing your application you should be able to go back to the office with a receipt confirming your application and they will be able to tell you what your SSN is. The little card will then follow in the mail a few weeks later, but no-one ever asks for this, they just need your number.
I got here in July and had SSN hassles, but not with my local office who were extremely helpful. For what its worth I think they appreciate getting to deal with someone who can speak english and who is reasonably polite - a bit of a novelty in their line of work.

Good luck

Having said all this I'm not sure why they can't process you now. As far as I'm aware all they need is your visa, passport and address.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 10:23 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Just to expand on my last point - I got here on the lottery and the INS were meant to forward my details to the SSA for processing. They never bothered to do this which is why I had hassles but given that they did I'm not 100% sure what the SSA need the INS to update - seeing your visa should suffice for them.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Roadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bionomique
Sorry, frustrated, but I think naiive is appropriate, in this case. Right of redress might pertain if there had been a guarantee offered that something would be available immediately and that is no longer the case. Were you given a guarantee?
No, as I said, I thought applying for the SSN to pay taxes was obligatory. I did not expect there to be a delay. Now it's going to cost me. I guess I thought it was a document inspection process, followed by issue of SSN. it seems that isnt the case. My paper I-94 was worthless to the SSA, despite having to have it for the application. The computer didn't have a record, so that was that, try again in a couple of weeks. As I suggested, naivety, I guess.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 10:27 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

For my house purchase the bank were satisfied with a copy of my completed application for a SSN and the accompanying letter. Would this suffice in your case?
Old Oct 24th 2005, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Schnorbitz
For my house purchase the bank were satisfied with a copy of my completed application for a SSN and the accompanying letter. Would this suffice in your case?
Very possibly. Good suggestion, thanks, I will try this.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 11:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

bank can't make you provide a ssn anyway, just valid form of proof, so passport should be enough if you spoke to someone high up the bank that knows what they are doing...?
Old Oct 24th 2005, 11:41 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Seasoned US dwellers,

I would appreciate a bit of advice. I spent the spring and early summer here on the VWP wrapping up some business for my company. ....
I didn't know you could work while on the VWP. Was it permitted because you were over here on "business" rather than actually "working"?
Old Oct 25th 2005, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dunroving
I didn't know you could work while on the VWP. Was it permitted because you were over here on "business" rather than actually "working"?
I wasnt working here. I was on business as you said. We had a large contract that kept slipping. I was paid in the UK as normal, not here. However, the contract slipped further, and looks like it wont be finished until the new year. I didnt occupy a job here, there simply wasn't one. I am now here to set up a department to do the work autonomously in the US. I was keen to do things properly, as soon as we decided to set up the US department, we applied for the L1A petition, and I went home soon after to get the visa stamp. That's partially why I am so aggrieved that this delay is going to cost me, since I have tried my best to do everything legally and correctly.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 12:30 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

I wasnt working here. I was on business as you said. We had a large contract that kept slipping. I was paid in the UK as normal, not here. However, the contract slipped further, and looks like it wont be finished until the new year. I didnt occupy a job here, there simply wasn't one. I am now here to set up a department to do the work autonomously in the US. I was keen to do things properly, as soon as we decided to set up the US department, we applied for the L1A petition, and I went home soon after to get the visa stamp. That's partially why I am so aggrieved that this delay is going to cost me, since I have tried my best to do everything legally and correctly.
I had similar problems, and after initially being told to call back in 2 weeks I was then told to call back in another two weeks, and in the end I got my SSN after just over 6 weeks... or was it 8? I forget.

Anyway, first things first. Schnorbitz's suggestion about the mortgage is a good one. If the mortgage company refuse, demand to speak to someone senior. Keep taking it higher until you get the response you want. The grunts on the front line of these corporations are rarely very helpful when they encounter a non-standard situation like this.

As for you company, and not getting paid... they should know better than that. I had the same line from mine initially until I kicked up enough of a stink. They may not be able to issue you with an official pay stub, but they should be able to cut you a cheque and then do the paperwork retrospectively once you have your SSN in hand.

In my case, my local Credit Union had opened an account for me with a "dummy" SSN that they replaced once I had my real number. This may be your biggest problem, unless you have an account already. I believe that the Patriot Act has made it much tougher to open a bank account without an SSN.

It sounds to me like you have the same attitude I did - I came over here all above-board and willing to do the right thing, and felt that I was losing out for doing things right. In your case, just make sure that your company does what's right. If they "can't" pay you, then make sure they find a way to pay for everything for you until they can. If you can't set up your mortgage because of the delay with your SSN, tell your HR department about it, and get them involved in finding a solution. You came over here for your company - now it's their turn to do something to help!
Old Oct 25th 2005, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I had similar problems, and after initially being told to call back in 2 weeks I was then told to call back in another two weeks, and in the end I got my SSN after just over 6 weeks... or was it 8? I forget.

All who replied,

Thanks for your encouragement, I am only trying to do the right thing, and at the same time rebuild my life over here. I could bore you with the "soon to be ex wife having an affair with best friend while I was here on VWP" story, but thats definitely for another day.

I think talking to the mortgage company is a good start.

Naive, Atlanta
Old Oct 25th 2005, 1:01 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Seasoned US dwellers,

Yours,

Frustrated, Atlanta
You don't have to wait 2 weeks, but you'll have to manage the situation. I've sent a PM to an expert who will hopefully have a good answer for you.

Otherwise, you'll have to put up with whatever crap answer I can piece together tomorrow

PS: you can be paid before you get the SS#, as long as you have applied.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
You don't have to wait 2 weeks, but you'll have to manage the situation. I've sent a PM to an expert who will hopefully have a good answer for you.

Otherwise, you'll have to put up with whatever crap answer I can piece together tomorrow

PS: you can be paid before you get the SS#, as long as you have applied.
Today hasnt been the best of days. But tonight, it seems you find out who your (new) friends are.

Thanks to all.

Encouraged, Atlanta

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.