Reload this Page >

Right Move or Not??

Right Move or Not??

Old Feb 11th 2004, 9:18 pm
abb
Forum Regular

abb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Right Move or Not??

If you knew what you know now about America and Americans, at the time of your departure from UK, would you have gone through the entire problem of immigration process, etc and Still moved to US??
Old Feb 11th 2004, 9:43 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Right Move or Not??

Yeah, sure - nowhere's perfect!
Old Feb 11th 2004, 9:52 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I got a Green Card in the Lottery back in 1996. After thinking long and hard about it I decided not to go. To be honest if it were not for the fact that I'm in love with an American and getting married, I really don't think I'd be moving to the US.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by abb
If you knew what you know now about America and Americans, at the time of your departure from UK, would you have gone through the entire problem of immigration process, etc and Still moved to US??
Yes. It is what you make of it. The culture shock is a bit overwhelming for a few months, but you soon get used to things. Working and meeting new people helps, that is what helped me. We came here because of my husbands' job, we did not have to make the move, but have not regretted it after almost 16 years. I don't know if it would have been the same if it had been on a fiancee visa, or trying to get a work visa, although we did have to go thru the whole immigration thing to get our green cards, it took almost 3 years because of cock-ups, and waiting in endless lines at INS in Philly etc, but was worth it in the end. My husband is now a dual citizen and I am taking mine this year. Does not work for everyone though. I sympathize with people trying to find work or having to wait to work, that has got to be hard with no money coming in. I guess you have to weigh everything before you make the committment.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 10:11 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

yes
Old Feb 12th 2004, 12:18 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by abb
Yes, of course!

I knew that the process would take a little while - that's only to be expected when dealing with a government bureaucracy, but in the end it went just fine. I obtained the forms, completed them per the instructions, supplied copy documentation where necessary, answered the questions, and received a visa, exactly as I expected for jumping through all the hoops I was presented with. An inconvenience? Maybe ... but certainly no problem.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 12th 2004 at 1:25 am.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

For sure!. The bumps along the way have been more than worth me moving here. There is a culture shock, even to me who'd travelled here for years on holidays. Becoming ingrained in the American way of life does take a little while to adjust, when slang and terminology are slightly different. And we may speak the same language, but sometimes you'd think differently when dealing with certain people. lol
Old Feb 12th 2004, 12:31 am
Franklin

Originally posted by abb
Been well worth it. This is a great country. I have met so many interesting people here. Imho, Americans are by and large a friendly lot. There is a much better understanding of business here than back home in blighty. There are bags of opportunity to get on. There are downs and ups, but by and large the ups have done down the downs!

Old Feb 12th 2004, 2:02 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patent Attorney
. There is a much better understanding of business here than back home in blighty.
I think by that you mean Americans EXPECT to pay for everything and don't expect any free rides. In the UK the mindset is not that way because we are nannied more but in America if you don't get off your arse and do it or pay someone to do it, it wont get done.

I am not sure that there are more opportunities but more is expected of you and as such you have to set the bar a bit higher for yourself, it is not as easy to be a slacker in america.

Patrick
Old Feb 12th 2004, 2:15 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sibsie
I got a Green Card in the Lottery back in 1996. After thinking long and hard about it I decided not to go. To be honest if it were not for the fact that I'm in love with an American and getting married, I really don't think I'd be moving to the US.

I am the same, if I wasn't married to an American I would have no ambition to live here. I don't understand these people who come on here once a month and say "I hate England, I want to move to America - help me do it". I have nothing against the UK, and if I hadn't married Ellen I would be quite happy living in England.

I also don't subscribe to the propaganda that people spout about america being a better place to live, its just a different place to live. OK, the weather is better (I cannot deny that one). I worked in the UK for $50,000 (in fact at the exchange rate today it was probably more like sixty thousand) in a cushy office writing and testing software (and sometimes going around the world training people). I know work all the hours God sends for less money and more stress. We got a bigger house for the same price as in the UK, but everyone in the UK who earned the same as us had the same size house and ditto here, and who cares how big your house is! (apart from those twits who measure their success by there car and house size and not by how happy they are).

The bottom line is you are not happy in the UK, the chances are you will not be happy here. If you where an asshole in England you are going to be an asshole here. If you do not have the gumption to be a success in the UK, I doubt you will be in the US. It is all just geography, you won't stop being you just because you are on a different gridsquare on the planet. Those of us who where brilliant in the UK, will continue to be so in the USA.

Patrick

BTW I am as happy as a blind puff in sausage factory in America, but I was in Cambridge - its whats on the inside that counts.

Last edited by Patrick; Feb 12th 2004 at 2:20 am.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all

It was easy for us to move here on a company transfer, so we didn't have to jump through some of the hoops I know some of you have had to.
Even though I want to go home at some stage I do not regret coming here in the first place it has been a major experience.

(ps hiya manc )
Old Feb 12th 2004, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by abb
What is your pourpose in asking this particular question? Were you considering immigrating to the US?
Old Feb 12th 2004, 10:49 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick
The bottom line is you are not happy in the UK, the chances are you will not be happy here. If you where an asshole in England you are going to be an asshole here. If you do not have the gumption to be a success in the UK, I doubt you will be in the US. It is all just geography, you won't stop being you just because you are on a different gridsquare on the planet. Those of us who where brilliant in the UK, will continue to be so in the USA.
Amen sister Patrick!
Old Feb 12th 2004, 12:43 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it was the right move, with just the occasional doubt when homesickness sets in a bit, but I expected that to happen once in a while. Soon get over it and carry on as usual.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 12:52 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Lizzi
(ps hiya manc )
hey chicki!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.