Is it a right descision

Wikiposts

Is it a right descision

Old Oct 18th 2010, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

aynesa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it a right descision

Hi all,

I've got my IR1 visa recently and planning to move to the US in Jan'11. Out here, I've got a good job and our primary reason for moving to US is to be closer to the family and a better quality of life. After reading many posts, I'm now wondering if my skills, experience etc. would give me a better chance to find a suitable job within a resonable time. I've got an MBA in marketing and currently i work as a Database Marketing Manager (8 yrs experience). We are moving to N.J. Any feedback/help is much appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance...

Sam
Old Oct 19th 2010, 12:48 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it a right descision

Originally Posted by aynesa
Out here...
Where is "here"?

We are moving to N.J. Any feedback/help is much appreciated.
You didn't actually ask a question, so it's difficult to know what it is you're after. If you're asking whether or not your current qualifications will make you employable in the US... yes. If you're asking whether or not your current qualifications will get you a job quickly... in this economy, no one knows! If you're asking whether or not you should even move to the US... no one here can help you make that decision.

Ian
Old Oct 19th 2010, 2:23 am
Just Joined

aynesa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ian,

Sorry for the confusion! However, you have got the answer spot-on!! many thanks!! Let me clarify a bit:

1) "Here" is UK - I am currently in the UK
2) I am worried about employability but i guess you've answered that
3) I am aware of the current situation which puts me in a dilemma!
4) We are definately moving to US but the choice is between a permanent move or temporary move to get visa activated move later when job etc is materialised.

Ta
Old Oct 19th 2010, 3:50 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

4) We are definately moving to US but the choice is between a permanent move or temporary move to get visa activated move later when job etc is materialised.
Just to clarify, when you enter the USA using your IR-1 visa, that IS your permanent move. Upon entry to the USA, you will be a US Permanent Resident, and you should be making it clear to USCIS that the USA is your permanent home, and that you are temporarily visiting outside the USA if you leave the USA.

Many people enter the USA to activate the PR status and then return home to tie up loose ends for up to a few months. But if you're thinking of more than 5 months outside the USA or so, or continue working in the UK, you'll want to discuss your plan with an immigration attorney who has experience in PR abandonment. You run the risk of abandoning your US PR status if you go with your plan above.

Rene
Old Oct 19th 2010, 5:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ian,

Sorry for the confusion! However, you have got the answer spot-on!! many thanks!! Let me clarify a bit:

1) "Here" is UK - I am currently in the UK
2) I am worried about employability but i guess you've answered that
3) I am aware of the current situation which puts me in a dilemma!

Ta
NJ is one of the most expensive places in the US to live...highest property taxes etc. Many large companies have laid tens of thousands of people off. Given the current economic climate...why would you leave a good job and all the social benefits the UK has to offer to move here?
Old Oct 19th 2010, 5:51 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
NJ is one of the most expensive places in the US to live...highest property taxes etc. Many large companies have laid tens of thousands of people off. Given the current economic climate...why would you leave a good job and all the social benefits the UK has to offer to move here?
Well, the IR-1 would indicate that his spouse of more than 2 years is a US citizen. Maybe she has something to do with it.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 5:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Well, the IR-1 would indicate that his spouse of more than 2 years is a US citizen. Maybe she has something to do with it.
The OP said 'We are definitely moving to US but the choice is between a permanent move or temporary move to get visa activated move later when job etc is materialised.' Therefore I take it they are living in the UK at the moment...thus my comment why move to so much uncertainty given the current economic climate.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Well at the rate George Osbourne is going it's a social benefit axed every week. I'm surprised everyone isn't striking like the French.

Now is not a good time to be leaving a good job to come to the States...however I've just done it and it worked out O.K. In my experience when the USC other half decides it's time to up sticks and move back to her family then no amount of gloomy economic stats or cold hard realism will dissuade her and you just have to lump it and do you level best to keep disaster at bay.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 10:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What would be a good quality of life? What improvements do you see happening?

Bit late to be asking this now I guess, but why do you think it'll improve?

What have you done to look for a job already?

Have you got yourself on LinkedIn and searched out all your contacts? Have you contacted any potential local job/career associations and events? Have you applied for jobs yet?