British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   ridiculous mortgage! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/ridiculous-mortgage-600612/)

MsElui Mar 29th 2009 4:50 pm

ridiculous mortgage!

Our house in the UK has an interest only mortgage on it - as when we left the uk we had to get the monthly repayments as close to (preferably under) the anticipated rental we could get for it. Both mortgage and rental were in excess of 1000 GBP per month at that point. (repayment buy to let mortgages came in above the rental rate so we couldnt afford to go there!).

Anyways - with the rate dropping every few months or so the mortgage payment has been going down and down - and the letter we recieved yesterday just took the biscuit. The whole payment is now a paltry 54 GBP!

If it goes much lower they will be paying us!

Now we just gotta see if we can switch back to a repayment mortgage so we get more paid off!

meauxna Mar 29th 2009 6:17 pm

Re: ridiculous mortgage!

Are you allowed to do like you do here.. send in an additional principle payment, separate from your obligated payment?
Save you the hassle of re-doing paperwork if so.

Mummy in the foothills Mar 29th 2009 10:25 pm

Wow 54gbp how nice. I'd keep sending the 1000 and pay it off quick :D

fatbrit Mar 29th 2009 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 7432236)
Are you allowed to do like you do here.. send in an additional principle payment, separate from your obligated payment?
Save you the hassle of re-doing paperwork if so.

I don't think UK mortgages work that way, unfortunately.

Bluegrass Lass Mar 29th 2009 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 7433100)

So they don't allow you to pay if off early? Seems silly to me. Or are you saying the extra payment only goes towards interest and not the principle?

fatbrit Mar 29th 2009 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13 (Post 7433107)
So they don't allow you to pay if off early? Seems silly to me. Or are you saying the extra payment only goes towards interest and not the principle?

US mortgage products are far superior to UK ones. AFAIK, the option to chuck extra on the principal usually just isn't there.

Bob Mar 30th 2009 12:44 am

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13 (Post 7433107)

depends on the mortgage, if you pay it off early you might get penalties on it to off set them not making as much money off you...

Mummy in the foothills Mar 30th 2009 12:52 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 7433324)
depends on the mortgage, if you pay it off early you might get penalties on it to off set them not making as much money off you...

I can't see them making much when her bill is 54GBP :rofl: especially when it used to be 1000.
The more I hear about UK mortgages the less I like. I like that I can bung a bit extra onto the bill for the principal and pay it off and that I have no prepayment penalties and the rate is fixed for the life of the loan (15 years in our case) only 7 years to go. :wub:

Michael Mar 30th 2009 1:11 am

Originally Posted by MsElui (Post 7432068)
Our house in the UK has an interest only mortgage on it - as when we left the uk we had to get the monthly repayments as close to (preferably under) the anticipated rental we could get for it. Both mortgage and rental were in excess of 1000 GBP per month at that point. (repayment buy to let mortgages came in above the rental rate so we couldnt afford to go there!).

Anyways - with the rate dropping every few months or so the mortgage payment has been going down and down - and the letter we recieved yesterday just took the biscuit. The whole payment is now a paltry 54 GBP!

Now we just gotta see if we can switch back to a repayment mortgage so we get more paid off!

I'm trying to figure out how that is possible. I would think that adjustable mortgages are based on some index like in the US (usually 1%-2% above an index). If it is based on the 10 year Gilt (currently 3.26%), then I would suspect that you would still be paying 4%-5%.

If your original interest rate was 7%, you would now be paying less than 1/2% if you are only paying 54 GBP. If that was the case, you could purchase secure UK government bonds with the remaining 946 GBP and make a large amount of money.

So can someone explains how it works in the UK.

NC Penguin Mar 30th 2009 1:32 am

Originally Posted by MsElui (Post 7432068)

If the interest rate is dropping like that, isn't it a good time to refinance the mortgage to one where you can also pay the principal and not just the interest?

anotherlimey Mar 30th 2009 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 7433113)
US mortgage products are far superior to UK ones. AFAIK, the option to chuck extra on the principal usually just isn't there.

I always thought this was a neat option: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_One_account

Mallory Mar 30th 2009 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 7433371)
I'm trying to figure out how that is possible. I would think that adjustable mortgages are based on some index like in the US (usually 1%-2% above an index). If it is based on the 10 year Gilt (currently 3.26%), then I would suspect that you would still be paying 4%-5%.

If your original interest rate was 7%, you would now be paying less than 1/2% if you are only paying 54 GBP. If that was the case, you could purchase secure UK government bonds with the remaining 946 GBP and make a large amount of money.

My brother has the interest only loan, as he is waiting for his previous house to sell. He was paying about the same as MsElui, and now is paying practically nothing, while renting his other house out. Some people are paying 1 pence a month. A lot of the mortgages were with Cheltenham and Gloucester. It opened up a loophole when the interest rate was cut. Time to pay the piper when the mortgage has to readjust though.

MsElui Mar 30th 2009 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 7433371)

its currently at 0.25% interest. Its at a 2 year discount to the base rate. Paying off anything whilst at the discounted rate usually incurs large penalties - but you can usually stick money in after that period - but it does depend on the mortgage. I wish we could get a fixed rate mortgage right now.

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 30th 2009 2:13 pm

I paid of my UK Mortgage by overpaying when interest rates dropped a long time ago. The one I have now also allows me to overpay.

But repayment of capital would not impact the tax aspect, which is I think the issue.

jmh Mar 30th 2009 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 7433100)

Depends on the mortgage. I am just coming out of a fixed rate that allowed up to 10% extra paid off each year, which is quite common. However it may not be on an interest only mortage.