British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   RickQ and BestGirl are wed (long) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/rickq-bestgirl-wed-long-109760/)

BestGirl Jul 23rd 2002 5:07 pm

RickQ and BestGirl are wed (long)

Rick and Brynda’s wedding

Herein you shall find a tale of love and happiness crossing continents and national divides.

Brynda and I were married on July 7th 2002. We had been planning this since I proposed in November the previous year. A decision to be married in Tennessee was made. My family came over for the occasion (my immediate family and an aunt and uncle with one of my cousins) and spent a couple of weeks here making a holiday out of it.

After much toing and froing for the few days before, and after our families had chance to meet and get to know each other, the big day finally arrived. Neither of us were too worried, but I did worry a little that I would forget what I was going to say as we had written our own vows.

We had the wedding at a little place called Evins Mill outside Smithville in TN. It was an old grist mill which someone had converted into a retreat to entertain people. There was a central lodge with two bedrooms and 3 cabins with 4 rooms in each. We hired the whole place overnight so that the people who came to the wedding could stay the night.

We arrived early and had some casual photos taken by the photographer. As we did not want any engagement pictures (and it would have been hard to get down to TN to take them anyway), he offered to come early and do some casual shots for us. After this, we went to greet people as they arrived and directed them to their rooms. Then we all went to get ready.

It was quite a warm evening, but we wanted to have the wedding on the balcony (the main lodge has a balcony, as do the top rooms in the cabins) so everything was set up there. My brother (who was my best man) and I wandered out and stood up by the front after everyone had sat down and then Brynda’s nephew starting playing his guitar (he provided the music). First, the ring bearer came out (Brynda’s best friend’s 7 year old son), followed by the flower girl (Brynda’s other friend’s 10 year old daughter), next came the maid of honor (Brynda’s best friend) and finally Brynda herself.

Brynda looked beautiful. She was wearing a long white dress (which she could describe much better than I) which was kind of fitted on top, had short sleeves, had an ‘A’ line skirt (Brynda says) and a lace and pearls on the bodice. She had a circle of small, white roses in her hair as well.

When she got to the front I took her hand and kissed her, then we proceeded with the wedding. The JP said a few words to welcome everyone, then we had a song (for anyone who is interested, it was “To make you feel my love� by Bob Dylan). Brynda and I then said our vows which we had written. Following that, the JP asked if we took each other to be husband/wife respectively and we both said “I do� (obviously ). Then it was over. He presented us to everyone there, we kissed and the music played (this time the song was “Thank you� by Dido). As the music was playing we thanked and hugged our friends at the front with us, then we went and thanked everyone else, slowly making our way down the rows until we got to the door and went inside.

Following the ceremony we then did a traditional German thing where we fed each other bread and water, symbolizing that if all we had is bread and water, we will still love each other. So that the photographer would not have to hang around all night, we staged the cake cutting next. We fed some to each other (apparently there is a tradition of squishing some into each other’s face, but we decided to skip that) and the rest of the cake was taken to the kitchen and cut up for dessert.

After all the photos, people went off and got changed, then we had a sit down meal. Chicken cordon bleu (mine without cheese <g>), which was wonderful. Once dinner was over, the party started.

And that was it, we were married. It was a lovely ceremony which took about 20 minutes and everyone who was there said they enjoyed it. Our families got on very well and my family loves Brynda and hers love me too.

Rick

RickQ Jul 23rd 2002 5:39 pm

Re: RickQ and BestGirl are wed (long)

It was me who posted the OP in this thread. I forgot to check who was logged in. Doh!!!

Rick

Rete Jul 23rd 2002 5:45 pm

sounds perfect. congratulations and a lifetime of happiness.

Rete

Dave And Emily Jul 24th 2002 12:20 am

Congratulations guys - all the best from Emily and I to you both!

Dave.

Betastar Jul 24th 2002 2:20 am

On 23 Jul 2002 18:20:17 GMT, BestGirl <[email protected]> wrote:

>Rick and Brynda’s wedding
    >
    >Herein you shall find a tale of love and happiness crossing continents and
    >national divides.

Sounds like a wonderful ceremony. Congratulations!

Des Jul 24th 2002 9:20 am

Congratulations on your wedding and much happiness going forward! It sounds
absolultely lovely, just like a wedding should be...

- Des

(PS: just out of curosity, but where in Germany do they feed bread and water at
weddings? I only know of the ancient tradition to bring bread and salt at move-in to
symbolize a lifetime of food and riches?)

swoosh Jul 24th 2002 11:58 am

Congratulations and all the best from me too.

Jeannine