British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   "Reverse" pacakage flights (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/reverse-pacakage-flights-529742/)

Dan725 Apr 16th 2008 1:00 pm

"Reverse" pacakage flights

When I used to live in Cyprus, there were local companies that could get you on unsold package tour seats from the Thomson/Airtours/etc cheapo flights in reverse order; i.e. Larnaca/Paphos to the UK and back.

Does anyone know (Cindy, maybe?) if there are such companies in the US? I'm looking for flights for this summer, its not looking at all good, pricewise.

But, obviously round here you've got your fair share of el-cheapo package deals coming in to Orlando from the UK. They often come from the more local airports in UK as well, but on the tour operators websites, it is all UK centric, and there is no facility to enter anything in reverse. I'll give em a call in the next day or two, but I was wondering if anyone had any similar experience?

lapin_windstar Apr 16th 2008 1:18 pm

Re: "Reverse" pacakage flights

I vaguely remember reading something odd like that one of the big charter airports in Florida only accepts incoming passengers, but I have not the slightest idea beyond that.

HoosierDaddy Apr 16th 2008 3:11 pm

Do airlines still offer seats to people in exchange for being a courier, usually official documents, that need to be hand-delivered from airport to airport? I recall seeing something in the UK about that donkeys years ago.

Rete Apr 16th 2008 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy (Post 6218248)
Do airlines still offer seats to people in exchange for being a courier, usually official documents, that need to be hand-delivered from airport to airport? I recall seeing something in the UK about that donkeys years ago.

Not sure if it is the airline that offers it or the people needing the courier but my daughter's former mil did this from Washington, DC to Europe all the time.

Ray Apr 16th 2008 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy (Post 6218248)

http://www.websciences.org/dvhpub/COURIER.HTM

meauxna Apr 16th 2008 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 6218353)
Not sure if it is the airline that offers it or the people needing the courier but my daughter's former mil did this from Washington, DC to Europe all the time.

ha ha.. I always wanted to do that! In the preinternet days, finding cheap travel was my hobby.. but I never worked up the nerve/coordination to do the courier thing.

Thydney Apr 16th 2008 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Dan725 (Post 6217568)
When I used to live in Cyprus, there were local companies that could get you on unsold package tour seats from the Thomson/Airtours/etc cheapo flights in reverse order; i.e. Larnaca/Paphos to the UK and back.

Does anyone know (Cindy, maybe?) if there are such companies in the US? I'm looking for flights for this summer, its not looking at all good, pricewise.

But, obviously round here you've got your fair share of el-cheapo package deals coming in to Orlando from the UK. They often come from the more local airports in UK as well, but on the tour operators websites, it is all UK centric, and there is no facility to enter anything in reverse. I'll give em a call in the next day or two, but I was wondering if anyone had any similar experience?

Whorelando airport you can buy a ticket to the UK oneway on the charters my Mum did it last year when she stopped longer than expected, that said you are in super cattle class

Ash UK/US Apr 16th 2008 5:51 pm

I looked into that last year... everything on the websites said you had to start your travel within the UK... however I did not call the travel companies.
Please post what you find out... I would be interested to know too.

Ash

HoosierDaddy Apr 16th 2008 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Thydney (Post 6218601)
super cattle class

Would that be like an Indian cow? ;)

basementwaj Apr 16th 2008 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy (Post 6219057)

what.... they serve you Naan bread and Tiger beer?

Thydney Apr 16th 2008 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy (Post 6219057)

Well if you've ever flown Virgin then imagine it smaller

Englishmum Apr 17th 2008 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by basementwaj (Post 6219433)
what.... they serve you Naan bread and Tiger beer?

Tiger beer isn't Indian, it's Singaporean! (I used to see some really naff TV adverts for it when I lived in Singapore - they're probably on YouTube - and often ended with an attractive young woman saying "give that man a Tiger"....yuck :p)

One of the well-known Indian beers is Kingfisher (there is now even the Kingfisher airline in India) and possibly Cobra?

Englishmum Apr 17th 2008 6:10 pm

I vaguely remember that if you are a British/EU passport holder then it's ok to take the charter flights with the original departure from (Sanford airport) Orlando. However, I've just looked at the international charter flights - with all the UK contact phone nos. - but take a look at the footnotes.....:huh: It might be worth calling Monarch, Thomsonfly etc. as the footnotes may only be relevant to US and non-EU passport holders. At least if you call them you will know for sure!

http://www.orlandosanfordairport.com/airlines.asp

Dan725 Apr 17th 2008 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 6224260)
I vaguely remember that if you are a British/EU passport holder then it's ok to take the charter flights with the original departure from (Sanford airport) Orlando. However, I've just looked at the international charter flights - with all the UK contact phone nos. - but take a look at the footnotes.....:huh: It might be worth calling Monarch, Thomsonfly etc. as the footnotes may only be relevant to US and non-EU passport holders. At least if you call them you will know for sure!

http://www.orlandosanfordairport.com/airlines.asp

Thanks, thats great, I will give them next week and report back

BritGuyTN Apr 18th 2008 5:43 am

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 6224234)
Tiger beer isn't Indian, it's Singaporean! One of the well-known Indian beers is Kingfisher (there is now even the Kingfisher airline in India) and possibly Cobra?

well put, i was about to say exactly that