Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Returns - taking stuff back ...

Returns - taking stuff back ...

Old Nov 11th 2004, 3:05 am
Franklin

Exclamation Returns - taking stuff back ...

When I lived in the UK there was this great stigma that I felt when I had to take something back. So of course I would procrastinate and finally not bother. Anyone else felt like this?

But here in the USofA returns are "the thing". There are return areas in large shops. It's the "done thing". No stigma.

This might change. A reporting agency has just started up and apparently it is possible to get "black-listed". Return too much in the way of "dollar amount" and you can (on information and belief) be labeled a "serial returnee/returner".

Old Nov 11th 2004, 3:10 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returns - taking stuff back ...

Originally Posted by Patent Attorney
When I lived in the UK there was this great stigma that I felt when I had to take something back. So of course I would procrastinate and finally not bother. Anyone else felt like this?
Nope. Returning purchases has never been a problem, especially when I have the receipt.

But here in the USofA returns are "the thing". There are return areas in large shops. It's the "done thing". No stigma.
Funnily enough, I returned a duvet cover to a department store this evening. I never offered an explanation for returning the item and I wasn't asked either. Apart from waiting 10 mins to get service, it was a smooth transaction.

This might change. A reporting agency has just started up and apparently it is possible to get "black-listed". Return too much in the way of "dollar amount" and you can (on information and belief) be labeled a "serial returnee/returner".
Not heard about this. Has this anything to do with the credit bureaux? i.e. reporting to them?

Personally, I'm not too concerned.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 3:19 am
warksgirl

"serial returnee/returner".
I've been called worse!

But what really would the implications be? You mentioned a reporting agency being set up, so I assume that this is something altogether new, and not part of credit scoring?

So if one was a "serial returner" and blacklisted, what would happen? Said returner would not be allowed to return things any longer at stores that used the reporting agency?

I somehow think that the concept wouldn't take. It goes against the American psyche to NOT be allowed to return and if a store became labled as one that didn't take returns, I don't think it would be good for its reputation. Not good marketing...

That's my initial thought on it anyway.

Old Nov 11th 2004, 4:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The report I read in Sunday's paper concerned a Ladies fashion chain, they have your stats I guess through CC or Store Card.

Goes through the PoS system, you get the No from the Shop store staff and then a phone number if you want to discuss it.

Never quite understood the buy and return volume some shops have, presumed it was a Female thing.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 4:24 am
Bishop John MightBe

MightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond repute

Best Buy is the company starting this
http://www.boingboing.net/2004/11/09...ies_to_se.html
Old Nov 11th 2004, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard of some people maybe buying a nice dress for a night out and then returning it to the store a few days later. That's maybe the sort of people that they are going to stop returning things. Or it could be that someone buys something to match something that they have at home and just can't make up their mind what they really want.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 12:02 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

I beleive this has evolved from the "renting" culture that has started over the last 10 years or so. People buy something fully intending to wear it just once and returning it.

I on the other hand like walking into stores buying the stuff and then returning when I am informed at home that it is not right. I still dont know why she lets me go shopping by myself anyway.

Patrick
Old Nov 11th 2004, 12:45 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Returns - taking stuff back ...

Originally Posted by Patrick
I beleive this has evolved from the "renting" culture that has started over the last 10 years or so. People buy something fully intending to wear it just once and returning it.

Patrick

You've just reminded me of a report on one of the local news channels of some shops in NYC which actually allow people to return knickers.....then put them back on the sales floor...the reporter used a marker pen to put a small mark on some of the labels.

At Bloomingdales and a couple of other famous New York stores the TV cameras showed that the same items which had been returned had had new price labels attached and put back on the rack....

I'm so glad that I still buy my knickers in the sealed packets from M&S!!!!
Old Nov 11th 2004, 12:47 pm
warksgirl

You've just reminded me of a report on one of the local news channels of some shops in NYC which actually allow people to return knickers.....then put them back on the sales floor...

That's awful!

Old Nov 12th 2004, 2:19 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
You've just reminded me of a report on one of the local news channels of some shops in NYC which actually allow people to return knickers.....then put them back on the sales floor...!!!
You can also buy used knickers online, maybe thats more information than you need
Old Nov 12th 2004, 2:22 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick
You can also buy used knickers online, maybe thats more information than you need
And you can buy these used knickers from vending machines in Japan too! I won't go into the other oddities you can buy from vending machines in Japan. That's another thread...

NC Penguin
Old Nov 12th 2004, 2:26 am
warksgirl

And you can buy these used knickers from vending machines in Japan too!

Bloody hell. That's disgusting.

Old Nov 12th 2004, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly believe that my step daughter returns more stuff than I or my wife actually buy. No one in the stores seem to bat an eyelid over it though. She even took back some christmas cards for me last year when I found some cooler ones at another store. I've never been a returner, unless sonething doesn't work.
Old Nov 12th 2004, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

ROTFLMAO... I work as a instore customer service rep for a large chain of department stores here in the US... you would not believe some of the things people try to reurn and some of the scams they pull to do it.

Ash
Old Nov 12th 2004, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

I know that Wal-Mart are great for returns even without a receipt ... however if you dont have your receipt they take your name and address .. I was told this to stop folks returning stolen goods
Anyways if it doesnt work .. too small / big I take it back ... no sense in paying for something youre not going to use

Jan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.