Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Returning to work.

Wikiposts

Returning to work.

Old Sep 13th 2010, 2:21 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Returning to work.

So - ive been here almost 3 years and havnt worked in that time as i was initially settling the family in and then adding to the family. The youngest is over 18 months now and im thinking maybe i need to get back in the saddle.

In the UK I was a support team leader within IT - full time. I started in applications (ie programming although wouldn't be able to do it right now as i was in an old obscure language so would struggle to work my way up in that area) and also hardware support (although i couldnt do it myself - i just looked after the team of engineers that did the support)

so i dont know what kind of job I would be aiming for anyway. Then there is the recession going on - so jobs are going to be hard/impossible to come by anyway. I will need to earn enough to take care of 2-3 kids in childcare (one is in first grade (so only before/after school care), one does 3 half day preschool, and one at home) so it cant be a totally noddy job.

so i guess my questions are:
what general tips can anyone give a mum returning to work,
what are good resources to start with, (ie better to use website or agencies or ???)
am i expecting the impossible right now with the current climate and my 3 year gap in employment (and zero US employment history)
any other suggestions?
Old Sep 13th 2010, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to work.

Sorry, don't have any constructive advice to give, just wanted to wish you luck.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

I'd make it clear on your resume straight off the back in your opening statement that you have the right to work in the U.S.

You've been away for 3 years - are there any courses available to you that you can do to get up to speed with newer applications? This would improve your chances of being considered and show that you have done something this side of the pond.

Apart from being at home with your children is there anything that you have been involved in like volunteering etc.?

Have you looked on sites like Indeed.com and Monster.com to see what is out there and to get an idea of what you may be interested in doing that fits your current skill set?
Old Sep 13th 2010, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck, E - hope you get something that suits.

From what I've read (speaking as a Mum who has done similar roles to you in the past, and not worked for a couple of years ) the key is to network, network, network. Get you're linkedin profile up to date - piggy back on your OH's contacts along with everyone else you might come into contact with.

In terms of jobs, if you're not completely up to date with the techie side of things, there's always business analyst roles, or project management etc... what about training - ie being a trainer?

It's a bit of a dilemma though, whether to take on a job like that and all the hours/stress/juggling with family life/vacation time etc. Or,on the other hand try and get something that fits in with school hours, but likely will be more of a lower paid job. If you are looking at that option, I remember seeing this outfit on the news in the US a few months ago, so might be worth checking them out http://www.tentiltwo.com/

Best of luck with whatever you decide...
Old Sep 14th 2010, 3:56 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui

what are good resources to start with, (ie better to use website or agencies or ???)
am i expecting the impossible right now with the current climate and my 3 year gap in employment (and zero US employment history)
any other suggestions?
I know what you mean, I couldn't afford minimum wage job to cover childcare...not easy stuff.

Best bet is networking, any local tech groups to mingle? meetup.com is a good place to check out, also google groups and especially LinkedIn.com

Dice and guru.com are good tech/IT type job sites and sapphire are a pretty good tech temp agency to check out.

If your interested in coding and looking to brush up on it, might find some small gigs on o-desk.com and rentacoder.com

Gap in work history shouldn't be a problem, just relocation and maternity leave.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 4:01 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm.... you ask a tough question. I was in a similar position myself and the only way I got back to work was because I knew people and had specific experience in my field. I knew when I quit to SAH with my youngest that it'd be hard to get back to work, but I didn't count on *how* hard (and this was five years ago). Tech is not kind to mothers who bow out for more than a few months!

I would definitely check out and attend local networking groups. I'd also try to choose between programming and management. Either way, I might take a course at a community college or online in either a technical skill leading to a certification, or say, a course on project management. Doing system admin even if on a volunteer basis for a few hours a week gets you back behind the keyboard. Just some thoughts.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 6:23 am
Just Joined

fly_on_the_wall is an unknown quantity at this point

The economy being what it is, I'd consider registering with a temp agency to begin with. Some agencies have courses to help you get up to speed or train you in a new area where they have job orders to be filled. It's also a good way to network from the inside, you have your foot in the door so pay a friendly visit to HR, drop off a resume, find out what they will be hiring for in the future and what education/skills will be needed. Also, a British accent never hurts. Good Luck!
Old Sep 14th 2010, 9:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

So - ive been here almost 3 years and havnt worked in that time as i was initially settling the family in and then adding to the family. The youngest is over 18 months now and im thinking maybe i need to get back in the saddle.

In the UK I was a support team leader within IT - full time. I started in applications (ie programming although wouldn't be able to do it right now as i was in an old obscure language so would struggle to work my way up in that area) and also hardware support (although i couldnt do it myself - i just looked after the team of engineers that did the support)

so i dont know what kind of job I would be aiming for anyway. Then there is the recession going on - so jobs are going to be hard/impossible to come by anyway. I will need to earn enough to take care of 2-3 kids in childcare (one is in first grade (so only before/after school care), one does 3 half day preschool, and one at home) so it cant be a totally noddy job.

any other suggestions?

If you are not in dire straights and don't really really have to work yet I would say don't do it. Enjoy your kids while they are young, enjoy not having to be in a dozen places at once, enjoy being able to tag along at school for days out and concerts. You don't have to have the worry that when they get sick and you feel guilty about leaving them or your boss gives you that look because you have to leave work to pick them up from school again. You don't have to beg for time off when school is out and there is no-one to babysit them for a week or two.

I know it's frustrating being at home all the while, especially when you were working before kids came along. Maybe taking some classes is the best thing for now, at least it would tie in with school hours. You might even find a different career from it and be ready to get back out there when the kiddos are just a bit older and a bit more independent.

Hope that didn't sound like an "old mum" lecture too much but I really think if you can spend good quality time with your kids at the age yours are then you will all benefit from it in the future
Old Sep 14th 2010, 3:28 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Hope that didn't sound like an "old mum" lecture too much but I really think if you can spend good quality time with your kids at the age yours are then you will all benefit from it in the future
I do so agree.... but I also like having a foot in the door in case one *needs* to return to work. Volunteer work would be an excellent way to brush up skills, for example, without the time commitment of a full-time job.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 3:40 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

thanks all - lots to think about there.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 7:02 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

thanks all - lots to think about there.
Have another bon bon and put your feet up while you do so.