British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Returning USC and Medicaid (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/returning-usc-medicaid-911106/)

leema5 Mar 30th 2018 3:48 pm

Returning USC and Medicaid

I will be entering the US next week using my CR-1 visa. I have been researching healthcare for me and my USC spouse. We went through DCF via London as my wife is in the UK on a spouse visa.

We are wondering if my wife (USC) will qualify for Medicaid until her employment starts? Or should we be looking to purchase a short-term plan in the meantime?

Both of us are teachers and are currently going through the process to gain Florida teaching licenses (wife previously taught in PA for whole career and I’m a UKC with UK qualifications).

We will be returning from the U.S after 10 days to finish the teaching year here and tie everything up before moving over permanently at the end of June.

As the Florida teaching year starts in August, assuming she has secured a teaching position, she will be without insurance for around 2 months. If she can get Medicaid - great - but we are not sure if that’s the case so welcome input from folks on here.

Thanks in advance.

Rete Mar 30th 2018 4:40 pm

Re: Returning USC and Medicaid

Depends on the State. In New York State, more likely than not, yes she should qualify under NYS guidelines. If your destination is Florida, then check with the State of Florida. Medicaid healthcare is state dependent and income regulated. As a PR, you both might be eligible for use of a State's healthcare rather than having to go through Obamacare.

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 30th 2018 4:42 pm

Not sure she would qualify but just go through the OCare exchange and see what she gets, she needs to be resident to apply as do you.

It does not kick in straight away btm takes time to process.

SanDiegogirl Mar 30th 2018 4:46 pm

I thought that the sponsor of immigrants were responsible for immigrants welfare so that the immigrants were not a drain on public funds.

Medicaid is a public fund - so if the sponsor is not supporting them, shouldn't the OP and wife be looking at getting short term insurance and not looking for public hand outs?

In any case, by the time the Medicaid authorities gets around to (maybe) providing Medicaid the OP and wife will be in their new teaching jobs (hopefully)

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 30th 2018 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12473152)
I thought that the sponsor of immigrants were responsible for immigrants welfare so that the immigrants were not a drain on public funds.

Medicaid is a public fund - so if the sponsor is not supporting them, shouldn't the OP and wife be looking at getting short term insurance and not looking for public hand outs?

In any case, by the time the Medicaid authorities gets around to (maybe) providing Medicaid the OP and wife will be in their new teaching jobs (hopefully)

OP is the beneficiary he is asking about his USC spouse.

leema5 Mar 30th 2018 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12473148)
Depends on the State. In New York State, more likely than not, yes she should qualify under NYS guidelines. If your destination is Florida, then check with the State of Florida. Medicaid healthcare is state dependent and income regulated. As a PR, you both might be eligible for use of a State's healthcare rather than having to go through Obamacare.

Thanks Rete.

leema5 Mar 30th 2018 5:06 pm

Thanks all. Will look into Medicaid in Florida and also O’Care.

Will organise a couple of months worth of prescriptions before leaving UK also then, based on your replies about it taking a bit of time to actually start.

Now back to worrying about the transportaion of my immigration envelope :-p.

Rete Mar 30th 2018 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12473152)

Apparently both you and I thought incorrectly.

Here is a new PR who immediately received Medicaid from the State of New York regardless of the fact that both she and her husband were working.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/medicaid-907085/

The mother is the PR and the child is a USC. She does not say what healthcare the husband is under.

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 30th 2018 5:34 pm

NY and CA at least allow LPR's to get Medicaid without a waiting period, CO is 5 years, doubt if Florida is more generous.

Interesting issue is that there income for this year would seem too high.

leema5 Mar 30th 2018 5:39 pm

I’ve had a quick look at Benefits.gov for Florida. Looking at the annual household income requirements, it looks like neither of us would qualify based on the fact that my wife’s pension payment (from 20+ year career in PA) is above the income threshold.

We are more than happy to pay for healthcare until we qualify through employment though - just have a few concerns about being without it when we haven’t ever had to be!

Coming from the UK where our National Health Service is excellent (if not perfect) the U.S system is somewhat confusing. My wife had a long teaching career before leaving the U.S so she too has always had healthcare. Incidently, spouse visa recipients in the UK pay £600 as part of the applocation and are then entitled to use the NHS for the whole duration of their time in the UK. But I digress.

I appreciate the suggestions and info. Thanks again.

leema5 Mar 30th 2018 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12473196)
NY and CA at least allow LPR's to get Medicaid without a waiting period, CO is 5 years, doubt if Florida is more generous.

Interesting issue is that there income for this year would seem too high.

I hadn’t even considered our income to date so far this year as we are both currently in full-time employment. Glad to be reminded.

SanDiegogirl Mar 30th 2018 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12473173)
Apparently both you and I thought incorrectly.

Here is a new PR who immediately received Medicaid from the State of New York regardless of the fact that both she and her husband were working.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/medicaid-907085/

The mother is the PR and the child is a USC. She does not say what healthcare the husband is under.

Sheesh..... I have a US friend who earns just enough not be to able to get Obamacare subsidies and is paying a fortune for her and husband's premiums. No way she would qualify for Medicaid - or would even think of applying.

Something is wrong somewhere ......

leema5 Mar 30th 2018 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12473258)
Sheesh..... I have a US friend who earns just enough not be to able to get Obamacare subsidies and is paying a fortune for her and husband's premiums. No way she would qualify for Medicaid - or would even think of applying.

Yes - I was shocked to see how low the amounts were per household size for Florida. The amounts listed were before tax too.

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 30th 2018 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12473258)

Something is wrong everywhere.

Giantaxe Mar 30th 2018 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by leema5 (Post 12473280)
Yes - I was shocked to see how low the amounts were per household size for Florida. The amounts listed were before tax too.

Given that Florida didn't expand Medicaid as part of the ACA legislation, as adults without minor age children in your household, I doubt you would qualify for Medicaid there regardless of your income:

https://www.healthinsurance.org/florida-medicaid/