British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Returning to the USA from UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/returning-usa-uk-943501/)

bathome2014 Apr 8th 2022 9:35 am

Returning to the USA from UK

I'll be returning to the USA on Tuesday after a couple of weeks visiting family in the UK, during which time I tested positive for Covid. After 10+ days, I'm now testing negative on at-home lateral flow tests. Does anyone have any experience of Covid testing at Heathrow airport? There seem to be a range of tests available, of which I believe I need a PCR test for the USA, is that correct? I need to be sure to receive the tests the same day - my flight is early on Tuesday morning, so I'm planning to go to the airport the day before to complete the test. An alternative would be testing at a nearby hotel, since I'll need to stay near the airport to catch my early morning flight. Again, wondering if anyone has experience of this option - it looks like testing is available at Sofitel, for example. Thanks in advance!

morpeth Apr 8th 2022 9:41 am

Re: Returning to the USA from UK

Originally Posted by bathome2014 (Post 13106543)
I'll be returning to the USA on Tuesday after a couple of weeks visiting family in the UK, during which time I tested positive for Covid. After 10+ days, I'm now testing negative on at-home lateral flow tests. Does anyone have any experience of Covid testing at Heathrow airport? There seem to be a range of tests available, of which I believe I need a PCR test for the USA, is that correct? I need to be sure to receive the tests the same day - my flight is early on Tuesday morning, so I'm planning to go to the airport the day before to complete the test. An alternative would be testing at a nearby hotel, since I'll need to stay near the airport to catch my early morning flight. Again, wondering if anyone has experience of this option - it looks like testing is available at Sofitel, for example. Thanks in advance!

The Express Test company has location at airport and several locations in London including some train stations, Airport i noticed long lines.

christmasoompa Apr 8th 2022 9:51 am

Last I heard, antigen tests were acceptable, and you can do one at home as long as it's supervised via video link - Qured does this service (I'm sure others do too, but I've used Qured and they were great).

So unless things have changed very recently, you don't need to do a PCR (thankfully, as you're likely to still be testing positive on those!).

HTH.

bathome2014 Apr 8th 2022 11:02 am

Thanks! Not sure a test from Qured would arrive in time? And also whether it would be a good idea to find a healthcare provider for a documentation of recovery - the information on the CDC website is as follows:

What You Need to Know
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

chawkins99 Apr 8th 2022 11:16 am

Order the Qurex. I think I paid £25. It ships Fedex. If you get the order in today, it will be there for Monday. Video supervision is not necessary.

I did mine 2 weeks ago. No problem with it and it was accepted by the airline.

bathome2014 Apr 8th 2022 11:27 am

Good to know, thanks - I just ordered a test! :thumbup:

lansbury Apr 8th 2022 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by chawkins99 (Post 13106579)
Order the Qurex. I think I paid £25. It ships Fedex. If you get the order in today, it will be there for Monday. Video supervision is not necessary.

I did mine 2 weeks ago. No problem with it and it was accepted by the airline.

The CDC requirements say otherwise for self tests.

The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.

chawkins99 Apr 8th 2022 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 13106698)
The CDC requirements say otherwise for self tests.

I traveled to the UK for Christmas. For our return, we did the Qured video supervised test.

I went back 2 weeks ago. This time, I used the Qured test without supervision. The first one did state it was supervised in line with CDC requirements. The second does not. They were both accepted by the airline (Virgin) without question.

If the OP has doubts, they can request a video appointment. I don't think it costs any more.

bathome2014 Apr 9th 2022 10:39 am

I ordered the Qured rapid antigen test for £18 and added a video consultation for £11. The test is currently showing as arriving today, and I've booked the video consultation for Monday so (fingers crossed) I'm good to go. Thanks so much to all for your help!

Mercury39 Apr 9th 2022 5:26 pm

Used Expresstest 2 weeks ago. In person at Victoria as I was on route to LHR. Booked the test online while standing outside their testing location, was then in and out in 3 minutes, no one else there. Headed to LHR and got results email before I got the LHR.

mommapudding Apr 13th 2022 11:06 am

Last journey back I allowed five hours to do my test at the airport. I was unlucky, test was contaminated and had to be repeated, and although they said they’d expedite the new test it wasn’t returned in time. I had to book a new set of flights home and a hotel to bridge the overnight delay at my own cost.
it happens. Husband took test at same time and took the original flights home alone.

flbrit59 Apr 18th 2022 4:00 pm

I travelled back last month from LHR, and antigen tests are perfectly acceptable, and you can get them done outside of terminals 3 and 5,with Express testing, and they'll email u the result in 30-40 mins. There was a long line though, so you'd need to allow an extra hour just for that !