Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

returning to the usa

returning to the usa

Old Jul 21st 2003, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

garyuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default returning to the usa

I worked in the usa, for 10 months in new york as a skilled worker a plumbing heating tech,held a H2B valid for a year.i had an accident that involved spinal fusion,after i had the surgery i returned to the uk.will be all better after xmas,

I really miss the usa and wish to return,as i have already had a visa would it be easier to obtain another visa or would it be better to get a green card.the only thing is with the medical if i go for a green card,would they refuse me because i have had surgery

this may sound a silly question what would be the length of time it would take to get a green card,what is the normal time to get another H2B,

suppose i got another H2B is it easy to transfer to a green card while in the usa or is it better to get one here in the uk.

many thanks and hope that someone can help

all the best

gary uk
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 2:19 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: returning to the usa

On what grounds are you applying for a green card? You can only apply for a green card (perminant resident) for certain reasons (marriage being the main one).

Patrick

Originally posted by garyuk
I worked in the usa, for 10 months in new york as a skilled worker a plumbing heating tech,held a H2B valid for a year.i had an accident that involved spinal fusion,after i had the surgery i returned to the uk.will be all better after xmas,

I really miss the usa and wish to return,as i have already had a visa would it be easier to obtain another visa or would it be better to get a green card.the only thing is with the medical if i go for a green card,would they refuse me because i have had surgery

this may sound a silly question what would be the length of time it would take to get a green card,what is the normal time to get another H2B,

suppose i got another H2B is it easy to transfer to a green card while in the usa or is it better to get one here in the uk.

many thanks and hope that someone can help

all the best

gary uk
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

garyuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Patrick
On what grounds are you applying for a green card? You can only apply for a green card (perminant resident) for certain reasons (marriage being the main one).

Patrick
many thanks for the reply,i would be applying as a skilled worker,where their is a shortage.

many thanks

all the best

gary uk
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 4:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by garyuk
many thanks for the reply,i would be applying as a skilled worker,where their is a shortage. ....
You'd have to apply for a visa (another H2?). Getting sponsored for a greencard by your employer is a very different matter, I'm not familiar with the rules and there is no guarantee that you'd be accepted.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 23rd 2003 at 1:51 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 1:41 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
If you are married to a USC then the eligiblity drops to three years.
Huh? I'm married to a USC and I got my green card 3 weeks after we got here. Applied in Singapore in July or August, had my medicals/Interviews in September, got here mid October, green card in the post November.
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 1:48 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Yorkieabroad
Huh?....
Oooops, brain-fade. I got my green card a few weeks after I arrived too, ... of course I meant "citizenship"!
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 3:27 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Damn - and here's me thinking I'd found a loophople that was going to make me rich as an immigration 'fixer' and retire early!