British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Returning to the UK - Departing Alien Clearance (Sailing Permit) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/returning-uk-departing-alien-clearance-sailing-permit-845021/)

JimBeam Oct 13th 2014 4:42 pm

Returning to the UK - Departing Alien Clearance (Sailing Permit)

Hi there.

Anyone got any experience with these?

And filing forms Form 1040-C or Form 2063?

Hotscot Oct 13th 2014 4:44 pm

Re: Returning to the UK - Departing Alien Clearance (Sailing Permit)

Yes, a lot of people here will have experience.

JimBeam Oct 13th 2014 4:49 pm

Thought as much. Thanks.

robin1234 Oct 13th 2014 5:16 pm

I'm now a citizen, but was a resident alien for many years. When an alien, I departed the US on dozens of occasions. I was unaware till now of this bureaucratic process - I simply used to leave without seeking a "sailing permit." I'm puzzled...

Sally Redux Oct 13th 2014 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 11437161)
I'm now a citizen, but was a resident alien for many years. When an alien, I departed the US on dozens of occasions. I was unaware till now of this bureaucratic process - I simply used to leave without seeking a "sailing permit." I'm puzzled...

I think it's when you leave for good - but isn't it for people with a lot of assets?

robin1234 Oct 13th 2014 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11437170)
I think it's when you leave for good - but isn't it for people with a lot of assets?

I had a quick look at the IRS instructions, and it looks like most people except visitors and a few other special categories (diplomats for instance) are supposed to do it even if returning. Maybe my eyes glazed over early in the perusal process though.

When I left the US in 1979 never to return (ha ha I wish) I didn't have a lot of assets, true!! And I was a bit of a happy go lucky scofflaw in them days....

Sally Redux Oct 13th 2014 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 11437194)
I had a quick look at the IRS instructions, and it looks like most people except visitors and a few other special categories (diplomats for instance) are supposed to do it even if returning. Maybe my eyes glazed over early in the perusal process though.

When I left the US in 1979 never to return (ha ha I wish) I didn't have a lot of assets, true!! And I was a bit of a happy go lucky scofflaw in them days....

JAJ Oct 15th 2014 1:46 am

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 11437194)
I had a quick look at the IRS instructions, and it looks like most people except visitors and a few other special categories (diplomats for instance) are supposed to do it even if returning.

In theory perhaps, but it doesn't looks like this is routinely enforced by the IRS or other government agencies.

However, a person who is a green card holder (permanent resident) needs to understand that physically leaving the United States makes no difference to the obligation to file Federal taxes. That obligation only goes away if the green card is formally abandoned or revoked. By then, of course, a person may have had the green card long enough to potentially be a "covered expatriate" with all the complications that involves.

On the other hand, it's possible to abandon the green card too soon, which then is a problem if someone wishes to return to live in the U.S. (reason = that person that has to apply for a new Immigrant Visa, which may not be possible).