British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   returning to u.k on expired u.k passport and birth certificate (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/returning-u-k-expired-u-k-passport-birth-certificate-701609/)

marmel Jan 21st 2011 12:48 am

returning to u.k on expired u.k passport and birth certificate

i wondered if there is anyone who can tell me if i can immediately travel to the u.k from the usa on my expired u.k passport (expired in 2000).i also have my u.k birth certificate. i do have a u.s green card as well. as i am a british citizen can i return home from the u.s with the expired u.k passport and u.k birth certificate immediately and renew my passport when back in the u.k.
thanks

marmel Jan 21st 2011 1:20 am

Re: returning to u.k on expired u.k passport and birth certificate

hi sue, no i do not have a US passport. i hold a US green card but i am not a US citizen.Thanks....please tell me i can go tomorrow with what i have..

ian-mstm Jan 21st 2011 1:40 am

Originally Posted by marmel (Post 9117267)
i do not have a US passport. i hold a US green card but i am not a US citizen.

If you can get to the UK, they must admit you; even with an expired passport you're still a UK citizen. Getting on the plane, however... may be a problem with an expired passport. An unexpired passport is a valid travel document... an expired one is not. Best to call the airlines and find out from them. If this is an emergency, you can contact the British Consulate nearest you and request an emergency travel document... shouldn't take more than a few days.

Ian

marmel Jan 21st 2011 1:47 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9117291)
If you can get to the UK, they must admit you; even with an expired passport you're still a UK citizen. Getting on the plane, however... may be a problem with an expired passport. An unexpired passport is a valid travel document... an expired one is not. Best to call the airlines and find out from them. If this is an emergency, you can contact the British Consulate nearest you and request an emergency travel document... shouldn't take more than a few days.

Ian

hi Ian,thanks for replying..do u think a british airline (virgin atlantic,british airways,etc) would allow me to board with what i have..

AmerLisa Jan 21st 2011 1:56 am

Originally Posted by marmel (Post 9117300)
hi Ian,thanks for replying..do u think a british airline (virgin atlantic,british airways,etc) would allow me to board with what i have..

Call them and ask....

Sue Jan 21st 2011 2:49 am

Originally Posted by marmel (Post 9117267)
hi sue, no i do not have a US passport. i hold a US green card but i am not a US citizen.Thanks....please tell me i can go tomorrow with what i have..

Oh, ok. Try doing a search on the forum as this topic has been discussed fairly recently.

ian-mstm Jan 21st 2011 10:56 am

Originally Posted by marmel (Post 9117300)
... do u think a british airline (virgin atlantic,british airways,etc) would allow me to board with what i have..

That's why I wrote: Best to call the airlines and find out from them!

Ian

Bob Jan 21st 2011 8:25 pm

It's the airlines discretion...usually have to ring the day before planned travel to get confirmation that they'll allow you to travel.

Once on the plane, getting into the UK should just be a bit of questioning and hassle, but they would let you in eventually.

As your passport has expired for more than 10 years, you'll have to apply as a first time passport, which often takes more time and is certainly more hassle.

marmel Jan 21st 2011 10:45 pm

THANKS BOB...

Jerseygirl Jan 21st 2011 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by marmel (Post 9117207)
i wondered if there is anyone who can tell me if i can immediately travel to the u.k from the usa on my expired u.k passport (expired in 2000).i also have my u.k birth certificate. i do have a u.s green card as well. as i am a british citizen can i return home from the u.s with the expired u.k passport and u.k birth certificate immediately and renew my passport when back in the u.k.
thanks

This is what Dean posted a while ago.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...8&postcount=64

marmel Jan 23rd 2011 12:48 am

thanks jerseygirl