Reload this Page >

returning after tax exemption

returning after tax exemption

Old Dec 3rd 2014, 5:34 am
Just Joined

vriesdephilip is an unknown quantity at this point
Default returning after tax exemption

Hi!
I'm currently visiting the US as a J1 scholar. I've been claiming the tax exemption and in order to qualify I will leave the country in January 2015 as to not exceed the two years.
Here's where it gets tricky: I'd like to return for a couple of months on a short-term J1 for a couple of months later that year. My two questions:

- Will this forfeit my tax exemption in any way?
- Can I return on J1 short-term for about the same work?

Cheers, Philip

Ps. I read a lot of similar topics, but none with my specific question. If I've overlooked one I do apologize.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

tantrum is on a distinguished road
Default Re: returning after tax exemption

When did you actually arrive on your J1?

It's often recommended that you don't claim the tax exemption if you plan on staying longer than two years or plan on coming back to the US to work/postdoc in the future. This is because if you exceed the two years then, yes, you do have to pay it all back.

Why not calculate how much tax you owe and see if you can afford it and is worthwhile? Assuming you came in January 2013 I guess you will be paying for two full years as you were probably in the US >183 days each calendar year.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

Hi! Thanks for the response.

I arrived February 2013. I did not have the intention to stay longer than the two years. However, as with many things, sometimes plans change.

Because I'm only looking to return for a couple of months it's not worth it paying two years of taxes for. The taxes would exceed the amount of money I would make. From two years worth of taxes I can spend half a year on island somewhere without having to work a day.

My main interest is how they define stay? When I return to the US on a J1 short-term will they consider it a new stay. Or will they look at my file and note I already worked in the same state a couple of months before and come after me?

Originally Posted by tantrum
When did you actually arrive on your J1?

It's often recommended that you don't claim the tax exemption if you plan on staying longer than two years or plan on coming back to the US to work/postdoc in the future. This is because if you exceed the two years then, yes, you do have to pay it all back.

Why not calculate how much tax you owe and see if you can afford it and is worthwhile? Assuming you came in January 2013 I guess you will be paying for two full years as you were probably in the US >183 days each calendar year.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vriesdephilip
Hi! Thanks for the response.

I arrived February 2013. I did not have the intention to stay longer than the two years. However, as with many things, sometimes plans change.

Because I'm only looking to return for a couple of months it's not worth it paying two years of taxes for. The taxes would exceed the amount of money I would make. From two years worth of taxes I can spend half a year on island somewhere without having to work a day.

My main interest is how they define stay? When I return to the US on a J1 short-term will they consider it a new stay. Or will they look at my file and note I already worked in the same state a couple of months before and come after me?
You'll have to look into the UK/US tax treaty to find out exactly the rules. However from my understanding, any additional time beyond 2 years no matter how far in the future on a J-1 scholar treaty triggers back taxes owed. However I think if it is for another visa (H-1B, etc.), then it does not trigger back taxes owed but even then, there may possibly be some restrictions as to how long you have to wait before you can start that job.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 3:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Michael
You'll have to look into the UK/US tax treaty to find out exactly the rules. However from my understanding, any additional time beyond 2 years no matter how far in the future on a J-1 scholar treaty triggers back taxes owed. However I think if it is for another visa (H-1B, etc.), then it does not trigger back taxes owed but even then, there may possibly be some restrictions as to how long you have to wait before you can start that job.
Thanks. I looked at the tax treaty, but it just mentions a 'period of two years'. I cannot really find any specifics on multiple visits..... I did also post on a tax forum and received a similar verdict, so there is a good chance you're right. I'm gonna try to find out though if I can come back on another visa, it seems that that would not conflict with the two year exemption.