Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Returned from the US

Returned from the US

Old Feb 17th 2015, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

in search of a good beer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returned from the US

I lived in the US for a little under three years and paid US taxes and Social Security while I was there.

Since returning, my wife has heard through a friend that there may be a method to re-claim the social security payments. Does anybody know of this scheme and what one should do to start the process?

Thanks
Old Feb 17th 2015, 3:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returned from the US

I don't know, but want to point you in the direction of the Social Security Administration website, so you can also research the topic:

The United States Social Security Administration

Rene
Old Feb 17th 2015, 3:37 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by in search of a good beer
I lived in the US for a little under three years and paid US taxes and Social Security while I was there.

Since returning, my wife has heard through a friend that there may be a method to re-claim the social security payments. Does anybody know of this scheme and what one should do to start the process?

Thanks
The only possibility I know of is if you had a J visa.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 4:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I think under certain circumstances someone working in the US temporarily (H-1/L-1) can opt out of paying into Social Security, so long as they are still paying into the system in their home country e.g. NI contributions in the UK. If my recollection is correct (about being able to opt out), I think the election has to be made at the time and can't be made retrospectively to enable contributions to be reclaimed.