Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Returned *Approved* I-129F - Is this normal?

Returned *Approved* I-129F - Is this normal?

Old Feb 24th 2002, 1:08 am
Just Joined

Barry is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returned *Approved* I-129F - Is this normal?

My fiancee's petition was approved through VSC on Feb 6. The automated line says that it was cabled to the London Consulate on Feb 13. But yesterday she received the original submission, I-129F (approved), G325A's, cover letter, everthing, the whole fie, in the mail. Is this normal? Should this have gone to the Consulate instead? Or is it a mistake? Naturally, we'll call VSC as soon as possible. Any ideas anyone?
Old Feb 24th 2002, 2:20 am
Betastar

Default Re: Returned *Approved* I-129F - Is this normal?

On 23 Feb 2002 20:46:41 -0600, Barry <[email protected]> spake:

>My fiancee's petition was approved through VSC on Feb 6. The automated line says
    >that it was cabled to the London Consulate on Feb
    >13. But yesterday she received the original submission, I-129F (approved), G325A's,
    > cover letter, everthing, the whole fie, in the mail. Is this normal? Should this
    > have gone to the Consulate instead? Or is it a mistake? Naturally, we'll call
    > VSC as soon as possible. Any ideas anyone?

Sounds VERY abnormal to me - it was supposed to go to the Consulate.

Newyorker

Barry [email protected] wrote:

>My fiancee's petition was approved through VSC on Feb 6. The automated line says
    >that it was cabled to the London Consulate on Feb
    >13. But yesterday she received the original submission, I-129F (approved), G325A's,
    > cover letter, everthing, the whole fie, in the mail. Is this normal? Should this
    > have gone to the Consulate instead? Or is it a mistake? Naturally, we'll call
    > VSC as soon as possible. Any ideas anyone?

This is baffling, no letter inside the returned package from INS at all? Anything?

I'm clueless as well, good thing VSC automatically cables petitions.

I noticed in another post that London does not yet have you on file (you were trying
to set up a provisional) so this has me curious. Also I see that you did receive the
Notice of Approval.

Keep calling London as well as VSC, as you mentioned. Regards, NewYorker

All advice given is personal, not professional. If you need professional immigration
assistance, please consult a lawyer.

http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm

Newyorker

[email protected] (Betastar) wrote:

>Sounds VERY abnormal to me - it was supposed to go to the Consulate.

Betastar, when he called London the other day they still had no information on the
petition and VSC says it was cabled 2/13.

Sorta sounds like it wasn't even faxed...? Regards, NewYorker

All advice given is personal, not professional. If you need professional immigration
assistance, please consult a lawyer.

http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm

Old Feb 24th 2002, 6:10 am
Betastar

On 24 Feb 2002 03:12:06 GMT, [email protected] (NewYorker) spake:

>[email protected] (Betastar) wrote:
    >
    >>Sounds VERY abnormal to me - it was supposed to go to the Consulate.
    >
    >Betastar, when he called London the other day they still had no information on the
    >petition and VSC says it was cabled 2/13.
    >
    >Sorta sounds like it wasn't even faxed...?

Sounds like VSC screwed up big-time. I'd not only call VSC, but call the Consulate
and tell them what has happened and ask them if they know how you should proceed.
Especially since VSC might not know

Betastar

Old Feb 24th 2002, 2:57 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Beta is correct. You seem to have received the package scheduled for the Consulate. Let's hope they accept your forwarding this either to the Consulate or back to Vermont and not make you start over. It could be constituted as a breach of security since the original approved documents have been in your hands and opened.

Rete
Old Feb 24th 2002, 3:30 pm
Alvena Ferreira

Rete wrote:
    > Beta is correct. You seem to have received the package scheduled for the Consulate.
    > Let's hope they accept your forwarding this either to the Consulate or back to
    > Vermont and not make you start over. It could be constituted as a breach of
    > security since the original approved documents have been in your hands and opened.
    >
I think that first I would call the consulate and see if they would accept it
forwarded from me. IF they did not, then there is not much choice but to send back to
Vermont, however I would call VSC first and get their direction on this. Somebody
evidently goofed big time. Alvena

See the Doc Steen site here:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm I am not a lawyer, and this
is not immigration advice. The information I provide is mostly gleaned from old
newsgroup posts and visa links on the internet. If you want or need a lawyer, go to:
http://www.aila.org

Old Feb 24th 2002, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

Rete, I understand what you're saying, but I fail to see why my fiancee should be held responsible for any breach of security. There is nothing on the package to indicate that it's from the INS. This was only discovered on opening it.

Good God, this process is nightmarish enough without having to waste yet another couple of months of my life because of INS ineptitude. Don't we have any protection against this sort of thing? Why should I pay the price for their lack of responsibility? Don't they have any legal responsibility to ensure the security of information?

I appreciate your comments and let's hope you're right about allowing us to send it on.
Old Feb 24th 2002, 4:40 pm
Dutch In Atlant

On 24 Feb 2002 10:57:41 -0600, Barry <[email protected]> wrote:

>Rete, I understand what you're saying, but I fail to see why my fiancee should be
    >held responsible for any breach of security. There is nothing on the package to
    >indicate that it's from the INS. This was only discovered on opening it.
    >
    >Good God, this process is nightmarish enough without having to waste yet another
    >couple of months of my life because of INS ineptitude. Don't we have any protection
    >against this sort of thing?

In a word, NO!

Just think. It is these same government employees who are now screening your
luggage at the airport, and who certain politicians would like to see
handling all of your health care needs.

There is little or no responsibility, liability or recourse with them. If
they were private employees, you could file a civil suit. Isn't big
government grand? NOT!! Regards,

DUTCH

**Politicians and diapers should both be changed regularly. . . .and for the
same reason.**

__________________________________________________ ____________________
Posted Via Uncensored-News.Com - Still Only $9.95 - http://www.uncensored-news.com
With NINE Servers In California And Texas - The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old Feb 24th 2002, 6:20 pm
Betastar

On Sun, 24 Feb 2002 10:30:17 -0600, Alvena Ferreira <[email protected]> spake:

>Rete wrote:
    >> Beta is correct. You seem to have received the package scheduled for the
    >> Consulate. Let's hope they accept your forwarding this either to the Consulate or
    >> back to Vermont and not make you start over. It could be constituted as a breach
    >> of security since the original approved documents have been in your hands and
    >> opened.
    >>
    >I think that first I would call the consulate and see if they would accept it
    >forwarded from me. IF they did not, then there is not much choice but to send back
    >to Vermont, however I would call VSC first and get their direction on this. Somebody
    >evidently goofed big time.

That was my thought on calling the consulate as well - however, if it's usually sent
by dip pouch and you're going to Fed Ex it or something, I'd want to have a very
specific address to send it to.

Betastar

Old Feb 24th 2002, 6:27 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Semantics here Barry. Your fiance would not be held responsible. But do you think that the appropriate parties will hold themselves responsible. I threw that thought out because you are under strict orders not to open the brown envelope given to you at the conclusion of your K-1 interview. I can imagine them having a cow over the approved originals being in the hands of the USC fiancee and the sealed envelope opened.

Like Ivory Soap in it a 99.9/10 positive that they will say forwarded it to Vermont and Vermont in turn will forward it to the appropriate Consulate.

As for rights and protection. No, you don't have much if any at the moment.

Rete

PS Remember to have the USC call Vermont. Since they normally only will talk with the USC because it is their petition, I would hate for you to be on the phone and have some smart arse tell you to have her call instead.
Old Feb 25th 2002, 1:30 am
Andrew Defaria

Barry wrote:

> Good God, this process is nightmarish enough without having to waste yet another
    > couple of months of my life because of INS ineptitude.

Sorry but this is simply they way it is. You make a mistake - you pay. And with the
INS if they make a mistake - you also pay!

> Don't we have any protection against this sort of thing?

Nope. We had no real protection against the terrorist attacks apparently (and the INS
didn't exactly help much either letting those people get through).

> Why should I pay the price for their lack of responsibility?

Because that's they way it is. You don't like it call your representatives - they are
about as bad as the INS. Your tax dollars at work. Sorry, it sucks. I know.

> Don't they have any legal responsibility to ensure the security of information?

Apparently not. AFAICT the INS is above the law (or rather they make their own laws.
They are part of the Department of Justice which, of course, it the extreme irony of
the whole situation!).

Old Feb 28th 2002, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

After one of the most stressful weeks of my life, and just for the record, my USC fiancee FedEx'd her petition back to VSC as soon as possible (Mon 25 Feb). We reasoned that the London Embassy would probably need to receive it from them and not by any other means. After a few days of trying, she eventually got through to speak to someone this afternoon. Amazingly, or not, depending on your experience of such things, the person to whom she spoke was helpful, sympathetic and understanding, retrieving the file (still in the post room and sorted by Tracking Number) and making sure it will be sent to the Embassy on Monday (4 March) at the latest. It seems we'd done the right thing sending it straight back to VSC. Contacting the Embassy wouldn't have been much help apparently.

I suppose we've lost about two weeks at the most, but I'm counting my lucky starts that it's not two months, or longer (though at the time of writing it still has to be delivered to the Embassy)

I've posted this update for any other poor souls who may happen to find themselves in similar circumstances, and to perhaps reassure those trying to speak to a real person at VSC to persevere.

I'm off for a stiff drink...