Reload this Page >

Return to UK and now pay UK and US taxes

Return to UK and now pay UK and US taxes

Old Jan 27th 2020, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

minhan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Return to UK and now pay UK and US taxes

Hi,

We moved to the US and lived there for 4 years. Returned to UK in July 2018. Still received US income until March 2019. We just filed UK tax and supposed to pay by Jan 31st for the period of July 18 to April 19 of the income from US. The tax payable is an addition of what we had paid in the US. We will need to file US tax for the 2019 for the three months.

I'm looking for advice from members that had similar situation / know about the tax credits, US / UK treaty that I can apply for my situation.

- the taxes we paid in the UK can be a credit for US tax? Do we only take the extra amount of the Jan 2019 forward?
- can we claim the credit of taxes we paid from July - Dec 2018?

I assume this is the last time we file income tax in the US, except we still have our 401K there, waiting for us to collect when we turn 59 ½. Is there any advice?

Thank you so much.