Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Return of Old UK passport

Return of Old UK passport

Old Aug 19th 2019, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

Flaura is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Return of Old UK passport

Hi there, just wondering if anyone knows approx how long it will take for us to receive our old UK passports back from uk.
i know they are not returned at the same time as our new passports and we need the old ones in order to travel as they have our current us visas.

Basically we want to take a last minute vacation with our friends (it would be our first holiday in YEARS!) at the end of September and will require our British passports.
They arrived in uk via fed-ex today.
I know it’s peak season in uk for passports at the moment so I’m not expecting super fast return but an idea of anyone’s recent experience in passport renewal so I can make a more educated decision on whether both our new and old passports are likely to be back in time for 28th sept would be super helpful!
(Don’t want to get my hopes up!)
Thanks for any recent advice/experiences you can share with me!!
Old Aug 19th 2019, 7:00 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Return of Old UK passport

Originally Posted by Flaura
Hi there, just wondering if anyone knows approx how long it will take for us to receive our old UK passports back from uk.
i know they are not returned at the same time as our new passports and we need the old ones in order to travel as they have our current us visas.

Basically we want to take a last minute vacation with our friends (it would be our first holiday in YEARS!) at the end of September and will require our British passports.
They arrived in uk via fed-ex today.
I know it’s peak season in uk for passports at the moment so I’m not expecting super fast return but an idea of anyone’s recent experience in passport renewal so I can make a more educated decision on whether both our new and old passports are likely to be back in time for 28th sept would be super helpful!
(Don’t want to get my hopes up!)
Thanks for any recent advice/experiences you can share with me!!
my old one arrived 1 day after the new one via DHL. I got a txt 1 day before both we due to be delivered and the day of delivery. Depending where you live it may take longer, but NY Metro it was next day delivery from the UK.
Old Aug 19th 2019, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

Thank you! We’re down in NC so I imagine a day or so on top! 👍🏼
Old Aug 19th 2019, 7:03 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

My son applied for his renewal at the end of July and received both old and new passports on the same day in New Mexico, 20 days after I made the online payment. He used the digital photo upload option so the only document he had to send in was his old passport.

His timeline was:
Old and new passports received in Socorro NM, USA on 13 August 2019
Passport printed and sent 9:44pm on 7 August 2019
Application approved 4:45pm on 7 August 2019
Joined processing queue 12:05pm on 2 August 2019
Documents received 8:53am on 2 August 2019
Application received 3:21pm on 24 July 2019
Application submitted 3:20pm on 24 July 2019

Last edited by lizzyq; Aug 19th 2019 at 7:07 pm. Reason: More details
Old Aug 19th 2019, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

Thank you!
Old Aug 20th 2019, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I received the new and old passports (2 separate packages) on the same day via DHL about 1 week after my documents were received by the Passport Office in Durham.
Old Aug 20th 2019, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Got my old passport back a day after the new one arrived. The whole process from sending off to the UK for renewal to receiving both back in the USA was under a week.