Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Return Of The King

Return Of The King

Old Dec 21st 2003, 3:21 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Return Of The King

Anyone else seen it yet?
I went and saw it today, and if it doesn't clean up at the Oscar's and BAFTA's, then there is no justice left in the world. The film is almost perfect from beginning to end, and didn't feel like a 3 1/2 hour film. There's one or two scenes in the film which might upset a few Tolkien purists, but I never had a problem with it. If you get the chance to see it go ASAP. I'm hoping to go again in the next week.
Old Dec 21st 2003, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Allready seen it. Saw at 12:01 am on Wednesday morning the 17th, when it first opened. It was pretty good, my favorite line was Gimli telling Legolas "it still only counts as one" after he brings down a huge Elephant like creature.
Old Dec 21st 2003, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

That was no Elephant, that was my ex Mother in Law
Old Dec 21st 2003, 10:11 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Good movie although a plethora of endings did get a little tiresome but otherwise a wonderful moviegoing experience.

regards,

Duncan
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 1:04 pm
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future

Not as much of a let down as the last Matrix then!?
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 3:02 pm
cute as a button

Poppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant future

alot better than the second one, that had a too many boring bits (those bloody trees for example)...this one is alot more exciting, infact it may be the best of the 3!!!
Poppy
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen it twice now. My advice to everyone about to go see it would be to not drink all day. I spent the last hour of the film the first time around thinking, "get rid of the ******* ring I need to go the loo."

The second time around I got to take bathroom breaks, much more enjoyable

I really enjoyed the film, I preferred it to the Two Towers, however the Two Towers special edition is a far superior film than the theatrical version and I would watch it if possible if I were you before you go to see ROTK, mainly because it will make clearer your understanding of certain relationships, particularly that of Faramir and his father.

There were a couple of things from the book that were glossed over that I would have liked to have seen but I am fairly sure they will be in the special edition and I just don't think I can wait a year for that.

Also, wait till you see the credits to leave - both times I have been now people have left at what they thought was the ending, only to miss a good 20 minutes of the film.
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 4:17 pm
cute as a button

Poppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant future

Originally posted by snorkmaiden
Also, wait till you see the credits to leave - both times I have been now people have left at what they thought was the ending, only to miss a good 20 minutes of the film.
aww crap I knew it...we left before the credits ended and I had a horrible feeling we should have sat it out!!...oh well I will just have to wait for the dvd
Poppy
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

No, I don't think so. If you saw the credits at all you were fine.

Both times I went to see the film people jumped up and left before it actually said "The End" if you saw that you didn't miss anything
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 11:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

are you refering to the "frodo and sam lying on a rock fade to black" bit?

i thought it was a good film, but not great. it was definately better than the two towers, but hopefully ill get the extended cut for crissy!

i would have liked to see the things that were missed from the book, but there is only so much you can fit in to a film. the dvd is a different story though!
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

No, it was just after Aragorn was crowned, they saw the kiss and must have assumed that was the end. I suppose it did seem like an ending, but both times we went people did it and missed all the stuff in the shire
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 4:32 am
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Just been tonight...... brilliant film!!!