Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Return flight ticket requirements

Return flight ticket requirements

Old Apr 17th 2006, 1:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Return flight ticket requirements

I've got my brother flying in from Tokyo - where he lives - for my wedding; he's only bought a one way ticket because he's flying onto NYC then London after that for a trip home.

My question is: I know the airline will have a fit if they don't see a return ticket, but will an E-ticket/regular ticket to London be enough evidence to prove he doesn't intend to stay?
Old Apr 17th 2006, 1:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Return flight ticket requirements

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I've got my brother flying in from Tokyo - where he lives - for my wedding; he's only bought a one way ticket because he's flying onto NYC then London after that for a trip home.

My question is: I know the airline will have a fit if they don't see a return ticket, but will an E-ticket/regular ticket to London be enough evidence to prove he doesn't intend to stay?
Might help if he is flying with the same airline. Call the airline as its their responsiblity to take your brother home if he is not allowed in the US.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 2:04 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to think that proof of his subsequent travel arrangements would be enough (print out of booking confirmation), but you never can tell these days - commonsense is no longer that common I'm afraid.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 2:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a friend who does this all the time.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

Yep - should be fine. You need to demostrate "signs of onward travel" - they don't care where you are going...
Old Apr 17th 2006, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

It's not that he doesn't have return flight tickets, is it? He has them but they're with different airlines due to his destinations.

He'll have tix from FL to NY to London to Tokyo so have him print out the itineraries for each leg of his journey. That should suffice.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
It's not that he doesn't have return flight tickets, is it? He has them but they're with different airlines due to his destinations.

He'll have tix from FL to NY to London to Tokyo so have him print out the itineraries for each leg of his journey. That should suffice.
Excellent, thanks guys.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

Glasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to all

will an E-ticket/regular ticket to London be enough evidence to prove he doesn't intend to stay?
It will be fine - my friend did this recently from Singapore to LA with no return but an onward ticket to London. They didn't even question her about it.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 2:55 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Right then. So what happens if you genuinely intend to fly into the US on a one way ticket, then drive across the border into Canada and fly home from there but havent fixed a date to fly out of Canada so therefore have no ticket.

How can they prove/argue that you DON'T intend to drive into another country from the US?
Old Apr 18th 2006, 4:27 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
How can they prove/argue that you DON'T intend to drive into another country from the US?
POE don't have to give you any reason to not admit you, so basically if that's your plan, have proof that you've reserved a car rental and the like....
Old Apr 18th 2006, 5:50 am
Account Closed

Can not help but be amused at the thought of a POE Officer being put to the sword this way.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Right then. So what happens if you genuinely intend to fly into the US on a one way ticket, then drive across the border into Canada and fly home from there but havent fixed a date to fly out of Canada so therefore have no ticket.

I'm not sure you can do this. I think you need to have proof that within 90 days of entering the US you plan to leave for a country that isn't Canada or Mexico, unless you're a resident there. I've never been asked to show my travel tickets/booking confirmations at immigration desks though. They've just asked if I had a ticket to somewhere else - "yes I do" is enough.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 11:45 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

They don't have to prove anything. A qualifying return/onward ticket is mandatory for entry by air/sea into the U.S. on the visa waiver scheme, so you could easily be refused entry. In fact, an airline might not sell you a one-way if you were planning on using the visa waiver scheme.

If you had a valid U.S. tourist visa, or a Canadian/Bermudian passport you could do this, however you would still need to convince the Immigration officer you were not planning to stay in the U.S.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 1:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JAJ
In fact, an airline might not sell you a one-way if you were planning on using the visa waiver scheme.
How would they know?

I was asked once at the check in desk, coming back from Mexico, they assumed VWP but I said no, AP, and that was it. I always wondered if they knew what AP was.

Never been asked otherwise.
Old Apr 20th 2006, 6:32 pm
2007 pred.league robbery

lee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond repute

BA wouldnt let me on a plane to JFK with a one way ticket. (Pre visa and green card days). They even walked me over to the ticket counter to watch me buy a return ticket.. they were not happy about it at all. I thought it was rather amusing. Apparently they get fined $3000 dollars for everyone who gets to american customs without a return ticket or correct visa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.