Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Retiring to Florida

Retiring to Florida

Old Aug 31st 2016, 4:14 pm
Account Closed

Louise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Retiring to Florida

Originally Posted by mfh
what a strange thread, there's something odd about it but I can't put my finger on it. It started off about retiring to Florida then it just descended to inflammatory remarks about the NHS strange
Hold on guys, feeling a little under attack here. I'm afraid that people have been using the NHS who are not entitled to it. The reality is that even when we take insurance details the admin further up the chain do not follow it through and a very small percentage is clawed back. This is not anyone trying to fleece anyone it's just the poor admin. Going back to a post which called me a hypocrite, I have many years service with the NHS, so don't see why I should not avail myself of its service if I need it? I feel this went slightly off topic when someone said I shouldn't retire to the US if I couldn't afford it. I did mention I would always make sure I was covered for the time I was resident. Thank you to the very helpful people who posted about Medicaid, I realise it is complicated if you haven't paid into it and fully support that ideology. Thanks to everyone who contributed.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 4:22 pm
Account Closed

Louise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Denying treatment to people, who are entitled to use the NHS, because the treatment is deemed too expensive, is a totally different issue. Yes, that is a political landmine.

Denying treatment to those who are not entitled to use the NHS would, I think, be very popular with many.
Yes it would be popular but it is so emotive an issue. Turning people away who go straight to the press etc. I agree they are different issues but at the end of the day if you are treating more people there is less money to go around. It all comes out of the same pot, paid for by the tax payer.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 4:26 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Tirytory
So even though you said the above, you are perfectly prepared to do the same. <<<SNIP>>>
I think you have misunderstood my post. I do not approve of health tourists, I have explained in another post so won't repeat myself � ����

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 5th 2016 at 10:07 pm. Reason: Edit to quote
Old Aug 31st 2016, 4:35 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Louise3
Thank you to the very helpful people who posted about Medicaid, I realise it is complicated if you haven't paid into it and fully support that ideology. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

Medicaid and Medicare are two different programs. It is Medicare that you should be concerned with.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 4:37 pm
Account Closed

Ok sorry
Old Aug 31st 2016, 5:05 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Going back to a post which called me a hypocrite, I have many years service with the NHS, so don't see why I should not avail myself of its service if I need it?
How does this statement address the earlier post?

I spent many years working for the UK Post Office...which of the rules applying to it may I just ignore?

I spent many years working for a bank...does that mean I can have free money?

In terms of addressing the earlier post, I think this latest comment has you still busily digging the hole you are in.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 5:33 pm
Account Closed

But I would be entitled to NHS care if I only had a holiday home, are you saying I am less deserving than someone who has never paid for it? I didn't come here looking for an argument and I haven't criticised anyone on the forum, so I am at a loss as to who I have offended. I'm not in a hole I have been honest in my day to day experience of the NHS and I am grateful for the detailed explanation of Medicare.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 5:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

But I would be entitled to NHS care if I only had a holiday home, are you saying I am less deserving than someone who has never paid for it?
You originally wrote "I am in my late 50s and thinking of retiring to Florida", which seems to suggest a little more than buying a holiday home there. Hence people pointing out that if you weren't habitually resident in the UK, you wouldn't be entitled to most NHS care, despite having worked for the NHS and despite having paid taxes for many years in the UK.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 5:52 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

But I would be entitled to NHS care if I only had a holiday home, are you saying I am less deserving than someone who has never paid for it? I didn't come here looking for an argument and I haven't criticised anyone on the forum, so I am at a loss as to who I have offended. I'm not in a hole I have been honest in my day to day experience of the NHS and I am grateful for the detailed explanation of Medicare.
See that's where people get unstuck, it's really not about being "deserving" it's about whether you are legally entitled to use NHS services. If you are because you meet residency requirements then great no problem, but your initial post was not phrased in that way, and you yourself said... "I'll just pop back for a quick elective"...

My husband and I are both ex NHS workers, but we don't live there anymore so we are not entitled to use it. It really is pretty simple.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 5:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

But I would be entitled to NHS care if I only had a holiday home, are you saying I am less deserving than someone who has never paid for it? .....
Six months is likely a tipping point - so long as you spend most of your time in the UK and maintain a home in the UK, you won't have a problem. The more time you spend outside the UK, the greater the risk of you getting caught out over access to the NHS. And if you sell your home in the UK then you have almost certainly stepped over the line. .... When, or even "if" you would ever get caught is a whole other matter!

And as Tirytory said above, access is based on current eligibility, not on "how much you have paid into the system". ..... The "how much I have paid in" question is sometimes heard in the US too, people asking "what happens to what I paid in" when they're changing jobs.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 31st 2016 at 6:12 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 5:59 pm
Account Closed

I think you have misunderstood my post. I do not approve of health tourists, I have explained in another post so won't repeat myself 😀
Originally Posted by Giantaxe
You originally wrote "I am in my late 50s and thinking of retiring to Florida", which seems to suggest a little more than buying a holiday home there. Hence people pointing out that if you weren't habitually resident in the UK, you wouldn't be entitled to most NHS care, despite having worked for the NHS and despite having paid taxes for many years in the UK.
Then In a later post I spoke about maybe six months a year , obviously I may have to rethink what is best for me. Maybe take out insurance from the UK to cover my time in the US, but there must obviously be a time limit on that, it's something I'll have to look into. I still maintain in my experience the NHS is lax about chasing money owed. I'm floating possibilities around, so nothing is written in stone.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 6:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Six months is likely a tipping point - so long as you spend most of your time in the UK and maintain a home in the UK, you won't have a problem. The more time you spend outside the UK, the greater the risk of you getting caught out over access to the NHS. And if you sell your home in the UK then you have almost certainly stepped over the line. .... When, or even "if" you would ever get caught is a whole other matter!
Yes, thanks, I thought six months was somewhere near that point. And I was just giving you the truth about the NHS reclaiming money or refusing treatment. It's a political hot potato.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 6:35 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Tirytory
See that's where people get unstuck, it's really not about being "deserving" it's about whether you are legally entitled to use NHS services. If you are because you meet residency requirements then great no problem, but your initial post was not phrased in that way, and you yourself said... "I'll just pop back for a quick elective"...

My husband and I are both ex NHS workers, but we don't live there anymore so we are not entitled to use it. It really is pretty simple.
Very simple thank you, you may not be entitled to use it as you have presumably established residency in the US? I repeat many people use the NHS who are not legally entitled to use it. Doesn't make it right but it's true. I know of many patients who have come back from abroad for elective surgery. I said it as a flippant remark, a thousand apologies to all I have offended.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 6:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... I repeat many people use the NHS who are not legally entitled to use it. Doesn't make it right but it's true. I know of many patients who have come back from abroad for elective surgery. I said it as a flippant remark, a thousand apologies to all I have offended.
It's not so much that you have "offended" anyone, but more that BE holds itself to a very high standard with respect to promoting or encouraging illegal activity - it is not only a specific site rule, but also something that pretty much all the regular posters agree with.

It is not uncommon for posts to be edited or deleted by moderators, and threads to be closed, for even relatively minor transgressions of the illegal activity rule.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 7:01 pm
Account Closed

Lighten up I haven't done anything illegal!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.