Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Retiring to Florida

Retiring to Florida

Old Aug 31st 2016, 10:57 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring to Florida

Originally Posted by Louise3
unfortunately they do not, that's why we call it the International Health Service. It's what will kill it in the end, but I digress!
So even though you said the above, you are perfectly prepared to do the same.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 5th 2016 at 10:05 pm. Reason: Be nice ;)
Old Aug 31st 2016, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

I'm quite current thank you!
You are current on practice in the entire NHS? Certainly I know of cases where searching questions were asked about the eligibility of a patient, but I simply do not know how typical that is.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 12:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It should do but no political party has the nerve to do it. ....
And your basis for that assertion is ..... ? Seems to me that it would be a very popular move, both increasing revenue and reducing the fraudulent use of NHS resources.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 12:30 pm
Account Closed

Louise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pulaski
And your basis for that assertion is ..... ? Seems to me that it would be a very popular move, both increasing revenue and reducing the fraudulent use of NHS resources.
Well just the inertia of the political parties who'd daren't touch the NHS because then they are seen as the bad guys, so many vocal pressure groups who would scream blue murder. But yes, popular with patients who are denied some treatment that is deemed too expensive.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Well just the inertia of the political parties who'd daren't touch the NHS because then they are seen as the bad guys, so many vocal pressure groups who would scream blue murder. But yes, popular with patients who are denied some treatment that is deemed too expensive.
Denying treatment to people, who are entitled to use the NHS, because the treatment is deemed too expensive, is a totally different issue. Yes, that is a political landmine.

Denying treatment to those who are not entitled to use the NHS would, I think, be very popular with many.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 2:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Denying treatment to people, who are entitled to use the NHS, because the treatment is deemed too expensive, is a totally different issue. Yes, that is a political landmine.

Denying treatment to those who are not entitled to use the NHS would, I think, be very popular with many.
Very difficult to do, no national ID system.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 2:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat095 is an unknown quantity at this point

what a strange thread, there's something odd about it but I can't put my finger on it. It started off about retiring to Florida then it just descended to inflammatory remarks about the NHS strange
Old Aug 31st 2016, 2:09 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfh
what a strange thread, there's something odd about it but I can't put my finger on it. It started off about retiring to Florida then it just descended to inflammatory remarks about the NHS strange
Well if you can't quite afford to retire to America and are going to need to rely on healthcare you're not entitled to in another country, then maybe you shouldn't be moving...
Old Aug 31st 2016, 2:29 pm
Account Closed

Elsewhere I see many people posting about bringing over parents who can not afford/ will never be able to work in a job with benefits.

Some areas have Medicaid availability from Day 1, some you have to wait 5 years.

Then there seem to be all sort of programs available, usually in high immigrant areas. Obviously millions upon millions who can not access conventional care. Pot luck maybe if you can get help when you need it.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 2:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I work Anaesthetics and you won't believe the amount of internationals we deal with. We're not allowed to say anything.
Are you sure these people aren't using Cross Border Health? Just because you aren't living in the UK, doesn't mean you can't use the NHS in UK. It can be covered by the country you live in, so if somebody living in France wants to go to the UK they can. On holiday you are covered through the EHIC. Same across Europe.

Regardless of that, you might want to check flooding as this is the biggest challenge coming and you're still young:-)

http://gyr.fortlauderdale.gov/greene...ons-flood-maps

Last edited by Moses2013; Aug 31st 2016 at 2:41 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 3:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Are you sure these people aren't using Cross Border Health? Just because you aren't living in the UK, doesn't mean you can't use the NHS in UK. It can be covered by the country you live in, so if somebody living in France wants to go to the UK they can. On holiday you are covered through the EHIC. Same across Europe. ....
There is also legitimate healthcare tourism, paid for by insurance or cash. My health insurance will pay for treatment overseas, and the insurer isn't going to object if the cost is lower in another country than it would be in the US.

If I ever needed surgery, getting treatment in the UK is certainly something I would consider if my insurance covered it, and especially if it only covered part of the cost.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 3:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There is also legitimate healthcare tourism, paid for by insurance or cash. My health insurance will pay for treatment overseas, and the insurer isn't going to object if the cost is lower in another country than it would be in the US.

If I ever needed surgery, getting treatment in the UK is certainly something I would consider if my insurance covered it, and especially if it only covered part of the cost.
I am sure that happens, also sure it is tiny, a rounding error.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
I am sure that happens, also sure it is tiny, a rounding error.
In a previous job I met several people who were planning on private paid-for treatment in the UK. ..... So it might be more common than you'd expect.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 3:32 pm
Account Closed

When I was in the UK I had private paid for treatment, but I was more thinking of NHS budget versus treatment undertaken by the NHS and charged.

Anyway a read for anybody interested

https://fullfact.org/health/health-t...-and-who-pays/

NHS costs something in excess of GBP10 million an hour
Old Aug 31st 2016, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
When I was in the UK I had private paid for treatment, but I was more thinking of NHS budget versus treatment undertaken by the NHS and charged.

Anyway a read for anybody interested

https://fullfact.org/health/health-t...-and-who-pays/

NHS costs something in excess of GBP10 million an hour
So if those figures are to be believed "deliberate health tourism" costs the NHS an upper estimate of about 28 hours worth of the NHS's total costs (£280m at £10m an hour...).

Last edited by Giantaxe; Aug 31st 2016 at 3:41 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.