Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Retiring to Florida

Retiring to Florida

Old Aug 29th 2016, 10:57 pm
Account Closed

Louise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Retiring to Florida

Originally Posted by Pulaski
OK, so $20k pa for the first five years, and $15k pa thereafter. .... Which are still pretty scary numbers for someone who is used to healthcare being almost free.
Ha!! You're telling me! Think if I needed an elective surgery I'd fly back!
Old Aug 29th 2016, 11:00 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Louise3
That wouldn't help. Once you cease being resident in the UK NHS cover ceases too.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 11:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Er, that's not legal, and they are now apparently looking out for such things.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 11:05 pm
Account Closed

Louise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to beholdLouise3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lansbury
That wouldn't help. Once you cease being resident in the UK NHS cover ceases too.
I have many years service in the NHS and let me tell you anyone (literally) gets free healthcare! Just need to step off the plane and register with a GP. Fact. Not right I know but that is the truth. Thinking maybe 6 months a year renting might be the best option. Many thanks for all your advice/ knowledge.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 11:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Let me try and understand this, are you saying Part A are equivalent to insurance premiums? Part B, another premium and $40 a month for medication (assuming you use medication) ?
You are two-thirds right - all three "parts" are insurance premiums, so you pay a premium for prescriptions whether or not you are currently receiving any medications.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 11:08 pm
Account Closed

Er, that's not legal, and they are now apparently looking out for such things.
unfortunately they do not, that's why we call it the International Health Service. It's what will kill it in the end, but I digress!
Old Aug 29th 2016, 11:10 pm
Account Closed

You are two-thirds right - all three "parts" are insurance premiums, so you pay a premium for prescriptions whether or not you are currently receiving any medications.
That sounds logical! Can you not pay-as-you-go, so to speak?
Old Aug 29th 2016, 11:21 pm

There are peculiar rules for Medicare, in that I think you have a limited window to sign up for (I think) Part A, but (I think) you are at liberty to not buy the other parts.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 11:22 pm
Account Closed

There are peculiar rules for Medicare, in that I think you have a limited window to sign up for (I think) Part A, but (I think) you are at liberty to not buy the other parts.
Thank you for your information, it is all very useful, much appreciated.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 11:24 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

You mean just pay in full for prescriptions? You will still be paying for the drugs at the store even with insurance, but it will cost much less because of the part D coverage (and it is basically mandatory, there's a penalty for not signing up when eligible).
Old Aug 29th 2016, 11:25 pm

unfortunately they do not, that's why we call it the International Health Service. It's what will kill it in the end, but I digress!
Unless you work for the NHS I would suggest your information is not entirely current and the situation appears to be evolving fairly rapidly. I would not plan to retire abroad and assume that you can easily return to the UK to get surgery or other medical treatment for a very low cost. It is likely always going to be possible to "return permanently" to the UK and get treatment.

All that said, if you have a heart attack and need a triple bypass you aren't going to be in any condition to hop on a plane back to the UK from Florida to avoid $200,000 of medical expenses.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 11:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
You mean just pay in full for prescriptions? You will still be paying for the drugs at the store even with insurance, but it will cost much less because of the part D coverage (and it is basically mandatory, there's a penalty for not signing up when eligible).
I did mean pay in full at the time you need them, are you saying that's not an option? (I'm thinking you might not need medication for years, so what's the point of paying for something you're not using? ) But if you're saying it's mandatory???
Old Aug 29th 2016, 11:32 pm

I did mean pay in full at the time you need them, are you saying that's not an option? (I'm thinking you might not need medication for years, so what's the point of paying for something you're not using? ) But if you're saying it's mandatory???
From the Wikipedia article on Medicare Part D:
... Medicare beneficiaries who were eligible for but did not enroll in a Part D when they were first eligible and later want to enroll, pay a late-enrollment penalty, basically a premium surtax, if they did not have creditable coverage through another source such as an employer or the .... This penalty is equal to 1% of the national premium index times the number of full calendar months that they were eligible for but not enrolled in Part D and did not have creditable coverage through another source. The penalty raises the premium of Part D for beneficiaries, when and if they elect coverage. .....
Old Aug 29th 2016, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Not mandatory but, as pointed out, there's a penalty for late signups beyond first eligibility. And, bear in mind that as you're signing up on a yearly basis, judging when you will "need" insurance is not likely to be a particularly fruitful exercise.

Anyway, prescriptions are likely a relatively small part of your puzzle.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 11:39 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I don't use any medications so have the cheapest possible policy, about $22 per month, as it is the easiest way to go. I couldn't just say "Changed my mind, now I want coverage!" if anything happened.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.