Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Retirement - US Soc Sec, UK Nat Ins, and the Totalization Agreement

Retirement - US Soc Sec, UK Nat Ins, and the Totalization Agreement

Old Jan 2nd 2011, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retirement - US Soc Sec, UK Nat Ins, and the Totalization Agreement

Originally Posted by robin1234
Basically, it's the way the US is set up.. you pay through the nose for everything. I do not understand the shortsighted attitude of Republicans & Tea-party folks etc. They want to reduce taxes? So you end up being nickel & dimed to death with fees, copays, contributions, local taxes, county taxes, charitable contributions etc. etc. etc.
Short-sighted is an excellent description. The problem is - you get idiots like Sarah Palin spouting doom and gloom regarding "socialized medicine" and talking about "death panels" and trying to frighten everyone and some people believe her! I tell all my co-workers about my 84 year old mother-in-law who is a 14 year cancer survivor - she lives in England and is the product of the so-called "socialized medicine".
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I see the conservative crowd are rolling out their "Death Panels" motif again. It really is getting to be time to leave this country.
Yes, it's long past due - leaving, that is.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 10:05 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I thought you had to be living in the country that you added the other country's SS contributions too? That doesn't sound right!
So if you live in UK you can add to your UK pension with the US credits and if you live in US you add to those credits with the UK credits. Or am I way off base?
To be honest, I really don't know the answer to that question, but I'd definitely be interested to know.

I also note that you can elect to retire and collect SS at 62, but it looks like you have to stop working in order to do so ... can anyone confirm that?
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 11:09 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dunroving
To be honest, I really don't know the answer to that question, but I'd definitely be interested to know.

I also note that you can elect to retire and collect SS at 62, but it looks like you have to stop working in order to do so ... can anyone confirm that?
There is nothing to stop you continuing (or returning ) to work after electing to retire and claim SS at 62 BUT your SS benefit payment may be reduced per the "retired earnings test". There is a min earning limit, below which you would not lose benefit.

SSA believes that someone continuing to work after 62 should not receive the full SS retirement amount until they reach normal retirement age.

Calculator http://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/RTeffect.html

Article dated oct 2010 http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com....aspx?ucsort=2

SSA publication: http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10069.html
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 11:18 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.J
There is nothing to stop you continuing (or returning ) to work after electing to retire and claim SS at 62 BUT your SS benefit payment may be reduced per the "retired earnings test". There is a min earning limit, below which you would not lose benefit.

SSA believes that someone continuing to work after 62 should not receive the full SS retirement amount until they reach normal retirement age.

Calculator http://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/RTeffect.html

Article dated oct 2010 http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com....aspx?ucsort=2

SSA publication: http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10069.html

You can earn $14,160.00 at age 62, while drawing SS. Then above that they will take, I believe, a dollar away from every 2 dollars earned. It's less after your normal retirement age, and they take nothing away after age 70. It is not taken away permanently though. When you reach your normal full retirement age, an adjustment is made to allow for those earnings forfeited, and it is given back to you over time in a higher social security check. Also, since you are still paying SS in earnings, you will get an adjustment for that also.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

Tyrone is just really niceTyrone is just really niceTyrone is just really niceTyrone is just really niceTyrone is just really niceTyrone is just really niceTyrone is just really niceTyrone is just really nice

Hi All:

When you have worked 40 quarters as a USA Citizen or Legal Documented Resident you are entitled to monthly Social Security payments and usually you receive a yearly report of what payment starting at retirement age 62. If you worked illegally in the US under another SS # then you will not receive monthly payments.

I am in the process of speaking with an accountant who knows UK/US rules on taxes etc., I have printed out several questions and when I speak with him I will ask the questions as this is why I have hired him to guide mew through the landmines of taxes in both countries.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 10:06 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

I'm late to this conversation. My situation is I'm a UK/US dual citizen with 17 years of US SS payments and 25 years of Class 2 NI contributions and I'm figuring out what to expect when I retire. So I just wanted to check a couple of things.

1) Is it correct that the UK does NOT allow US SS contributions to count towards you NI contributions record?

2) If you work in the US for a US employer you may be eligible to pay voluntary Class 2 contributions which last year cost me 124 pounds. Class 2 cost a fraction of Class 3 and you actually qualify for more benefits paying Class 2.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I am interested in the answer to this too, I had heard that our US contributions do not count but on the UK pensions website I believe it says they do. But of course now I cant find what I read earlier!
Old Mar 13th 2011, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by windsong
Sally, yes, I will have an income.

I am 58 now. I am planning to go back at age 62 because at that point I can begin to receive US SS of $1578 a month. This will be my security blanket over there as I have no relatives in the UK. I can also choose at that time to receive my company pension of $630 a month. I also plan to work in the UK until I am 65, so long as I can find a good job, similar to what I have in the US now.

I am thinking of delaying receiving my company pension until age 65 at which point it will be $850 a month. If I also pay in 5-10 years to the UK NI so I will get a small UK pension.

My goal here is to have as much income secured that is not touchable by the U.S. authorities. I do not trust what is going to happen to social security. Based on what I see happening in this country now that I would never have dreamed of seeing 15 years ago, who knows what could happen. Say the worst happens and SS is wiped out all together, I would still have my company pension of $850 a month (about 500 pounds I think) plus the small UK pension. The company pension and UK pension together are not much at all but it's still more than what the average OAP receives in Britain. Of course, it wouldn't even cover rent or a house payment but it is still something to fall back on if the worst happens.

I can't be stranded in the UK with only US SS income. I don't trust it.

Who knows, the US may decide to stop paying SS to people who are not living in the US, I don't know. More chance of that happening if they renounce their citizenship, I think. I would love to renounce it but I probably better not so as to protect the SS.

This is like trying to navigate a jungle.
Windsong you do know that if you take early US Soc.Sec at age 62, you can only earn a max amount per year/per month? Once you hit that max per year or month...US Soc. Sec. either lessens checks or outright stops SS checks until you are brought in line again. Right now the max earned income while on early SS is $14,160 a year or $1,180 per month. You will have to submit an income tax return...wherein you will state your combined incomes of both earned wages and SS. Once you hit the age of 66, you then can earn as much as you want whether yearly or monthly and will not be penalized by reduced amount of check or stoppage. But you will still have an income tax return to submit and possibility of paying further taxes.
Collecting early SS at age 62 does have some drawbacks, but over long term you will collect more.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

also if you have worked long enough in US to get your pension view your company's plan rules. I take phone calls from employees of a major airline (may have said what is is before) you would be surprised by the retirees who are shocked that at 62 irregardless if they take social security or not have their pension offset by the amount of social security. Not all companies do it but some do..They should know about it as it is included in their retirement app but you know how that goes..
Old Mar 13th 2011, 1:06 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
I am interested in the answer to this too, I had heard that our US contributions do not count but on the UK pensions website I believe it says they do. But of course now I cant find what I read earlier!
The link below to the DPW website specifically says that US contributions can be added to your NI contributions history and used to calculate the pension amount. However, the amount is then reduced by the ratio (UK contributions/(UK +US contributions).
So if you have 5 years of UK payments and 10 of US the UK pension is calculated on 15 years of contributions, but you would only get 5/15 of the
amount.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/international/...in-social/#usa

Best scenario is just to pay 30 years of Class 2 NI, I only have 5 years to go

Last edited by nun; Mar 13th 2011 at 1:15 am.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chriswinter
Windsong you do know that if you take early US Soc.Sec at age 62, you can only earn a max amount per year/per month? Once you hit that max per year or month...US Soc. Sec. either lessens checks or outright stops SS checks until you are brought in line again. Right now the max earned income while on early SS is $14,160 a year or $1,180 per month. You will have to submit an income tax return...wherein you will state your combined incomes of both earned wages and SS. Once you hit the age of 66, you then can earn as much as you want whether yearly or monthly and will not be penalized by reduced amount of check or stoppage. But you will still have an income tax return to submit and possibility of paying further taxes.
Collecting early SS at age 62 does have some drawbacks, but over long term you will collect more.
Either before or after I reach 62, I plan to be living in the UK. I wonder if it will affect me then.

I didn't realize that collecting SS at 62 was considered "early". I thought that after you reached 62 you had a choice of age at which to retire.

So . . . I will be living in the UK collecting US SS - and working in the UK for a while, too. If my SS is reduced because I work in the UK and have to file US tax returns, I may delay taking SS until 65. It's not worth it to give it on one hand and take it away on the other.

Last edited by windsong; Mar 13th 2011 at 1:34 am.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fulwood
also if you have worked long enough in US to get your pension view your company's plan rules. I take phone calls from employees of a major airline (may have said what is is before) you would be surprised by the retirees who are shocked that at 62 irregardless if they take social security or not have their pension offset by the amount of social security. Not all companies do it but some do..They should know about it as it is included in their retirement app but you know how that goes..
I don't think the company I worked for does that sort of thing but it is well worth checking. Thanks. So you are saying that some companies reduce the amount they pay in pension because you are drawing SS? Not sure I am understanding correctly.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by windsong
Either before or after I reach 62, I plan to be living in the UK. I wonder if it will affect me then.

I didn't realize that collecting SS at 62 was considered "early". I thought that after you reached 62 you had a choice of age at which to retire.

So . . . I will be living in the UK collecting US SS - and working in the UK for a while, too. If my SS is reduced because I work in the UK and have to file US tax returns, I may delay taking SS until 65. It's not worth it to give it on one hand and take it away on the other.
Windsong, I believe I saw on another post that you were born in 1952, is that correct? If so your full retirement age is 66, not 65. For those born 1943-1954 full retirement age is 66. I was born in 1946 and my full retirement age in US is 66. I took early US SS when I was 63.

I'm actually looking forward to turning 65 later this year when I turn 65.... finally, I will be eligible for Medicare.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chriswinter
Windsong, I believe I saw on another post that you were born in 1952, is that correct? If so your full retirement age is 66, not 65. For those born 1943-1954 full retirement age is 66. I was born in 1946 and my full retirement age in US is 66. I took early US SS when I was 63.

I'm actually looking forward to turning 65 later this year when I turn 65.... finally, I will be eligible for Medicare.
I had planned to retire at 62, move to the UK and collect US SS and my US pension and work for three more years (maybe part-time).

66?? That's dreadful.

What is full retirement age in the UK as a comparison?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.