Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Retirement - US Soc Sec, UK Nat Ins, and the Totalization Agreement

Retirement - US Soc Sec, UK Nat Ins, and the Totalization Agreement

Old Mar 17th 2011, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

MNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really nice
Default Re: Retirement - US Soc Sec, UK Nat Ins, and the Totalization Agreement

Originally Posted by dunroving
Interesting - I was listening to a public service announcement this morning about state pension, in particular aimed at women and the fact that they can get NI credit for years spent at home raising children. The announcer said that you can buy in additional years "up to as many as 12 years, depending on your age" ... maybe it's a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing (or maybe policy materials not being updated - everything seems to be changing these days).
Any full years where you claimed Child Benefit in the UK count towards pension years for women. I think that has always counted, but it would not count if you were overseas raising children, as you would not be able to claim Child Benefit there.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MNandMN
Any full years where you claimed Child Benefit in the UK count towards pension years for women. I think that has always counted, but it would not count if you were overseas raising children, as you would not be able to claim Child Benefit there.
It counts up to a certain number, I can't remember exactly but you couldn't get a pension just on that basis.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit that I have not read every post on this thread but I am getting a bit concerned about what I am going to live on when I go back to the UK.
I worked 2 1/2 years in the UK, 6 years in the US then 20-30 years in Canada (10 years self-employed). I am hoping that between the 3 of them I will have something to live on. What do you think?
Old Mar 18th 2011, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

MNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It counts up to a certain number, I can't remember exactly but you couldn't get a pension just on that basis.
This is from the Dept of Works and Pensions website:

Changes from April 2010 for parents and carers

Home Responsibilities Protection has been replaced for people reaching State Pension age on or after 6 April 2010.

From 6 April 2010, parents and carers are able to build up qualifying years through new weekly credits for the basic State Pension and additional State Pension. If you are a parent or carer, you will get a credit for each week in which you:

* are getting Child Benefit for children aged under 12
* are an approved foster carer
* are caring for at least 20 hours a week for people who are getting Attendance Allowance, the middle-rate or highest-rate care component of Disability Living Allowance, or Constant Attendance Allowance, or the need for care has been certified

There will be no limit to the credits awarded to parents and carers after April 2010, as long as you meet the qualifying rules.

If you reach State Pension age on or after 6 April 2010, complete tax years of Home Responsibilities Protection you have already built up before 2010 have been converted into qualifying years up to a maximum of 22 years. These qualifying years will also count towards bereavement benefits.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

This is from the Dept of Works and Pensions website:

Changes from April 2010 for parents and carers

Home Responsibilities Protection has been replaced for people reaching State Pension age on or after 6 April 2010.

From 6 April 2010, parents and carers are able to build up qualifying years through new weekly credits for the basic State Pension and additional State Pension. If you are a parent or carer, you will get a credit for each week in which you:

* are getting Child Benefit for children aged under 12
* are an approved foster carer
* are caring for at least 20 hours a week for people who are getting Attendance Allowance, the middle-rate or highest-rate care component of Disability Living Allowance, or Constant Attendance Allowance, or the need for care has been certified

There will be no limit to the credits awarded to parents and carers after April 2010, as long as you meet the qualifying rules.

If you reach State Pension age on or after 6 April 2010, complete tax years of Home Responsibilities Protection you have already built up before 2010 have been converted into qualifying years up to a maximum of 22 years. These qualifying years will also count towards bereavement benefits.
Thanks for that, so does that mean you could now get a pension based on receipt of child benefit/caring alone?
Old Mar 18th 2011, 5:54 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
I must admit that I have not read every post on this thread but I am getting a bit concerned about what I am going to live on when I go back to the UK.
I worked 2 1/2 years in the UK, 6 years in the US then 20-30 years in Canada (10 years self-employed). I am hoping that between the 3 of them I will have something to live on. What do you think?
Did your spouse work and pay in also? I have enough credits to qualify for US SS, but on my own it's small, I'll qualify with Dh's 32 years of payments. In the UK I have about 5 years paid in I think. I'm hoping to add to that also once back.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Thanks for that, so does that mean you could now get a pension based on receipt of child benefit/caring alone?
Best to ask for your own pension forecast to be sure of what you can expect, it looks complicated working it out for yourself.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Best to ask for your own pension forecast to be sure of what you can expect, it looks complicated working it out for yourself.
Yes good point, it seems to change such a lot too.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Did your spouse work and pay in also? I have enough credits to qualify for US SS, but on my own it's small, I'll qualify with Dh's 32 years of payments. In the UK I have about 5 years paid in I think. I'm hoping to add to that also once back.

My spouse did pay in, in the US but we were only still married for the first 2 years I was in the US so not sure if that counts. I shall have to sit down at some point and try to recreate a timeline for all those years. It feels very complicated as I understand they have agreements that say that in some cases credits from one country help to ad to credits in another country but I am not sure if I need to contact each country individually or not. I believe the US SS does not kick in until age 65. Am I right? (I am 62 this month).

I read something this week that said that I should qualify for Canadian OAS even if I leave the country due to the years of contributions. Again this not until age 65 though I receive CPP now... a whopping 227 GBP a month. I wonder if UK will give me anything at this time until age 65?
Old Mar 18th 2011, 10:21 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

My spouse did pay in, in the US but we were only still married for the first 2 years I was in the US so not sure if that counts. I shall have to sit down at some point and try to recreate a timeline for all those years. It feels very complicated as I understand they have agreements that say that in some cases credits from one country help to ad to credits in another country but I am not sure if I need to contact each country individually or not. I believe the US SS does not kick in until age 65. Am I right? (I am 62 this month).

I read something this week that said that I should qualify for Canadian OAS even if I leave the country due to the years of contributions. Again this not until age 65 though I receive CPP now... a whopping 227 GBP a month. I wonder if UK will give me anything at this time until age 65?
I'd check with US SS, I don't know if they care how long you were married, (didn't he pass away?) You can take reduced pension at 62 I think.
Do you get the annual statements?
Old Mar 18th 2011, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

You can collect SS at age 62. I posted that in call center I work the airline retirees collect SS at age 62 and then unfortunately see their pension offset by whatever amount they received. Not all companies do this.. I"m trying to find out if I get pension from Motorola as I worked there for 14 years in US..
Old Mar 19th 2011, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Bandrui..
Actually all you have to do is call Soc. Sec...they will answer all of these questions for you...right over the phone. You are eligible for US SS at 62 at a reduced payment..75% of your full SS at 66...not 65. If you take SS at 62 that is what you will receive til the day you die.
How long did your spouse work in the US? How long were you married to him? If you divorced and he remarried...the spouse that was married to the man 10 yrs or longer is the one who will receive his SS. You will not be able to collect a former spouse's US SS..if he has not yet turned 62, I believe. He has to be of SS age as well.
I'm 64, I collect SS...I receive my SS and half of my husband's SS (he was collecting his SS when he passed away).
If I were to move back to the UK tomorrow..and for some odd reason was able to collect some form of UK SS...my US SS would take a hit...US and UK have SS agreements...neither country allows for 'windfall'..as I call it.."double-bubble". One or the other is going to take a hit (decrease, not an increase) or at the very least an equalizing. From what I understand US SS also takes note of any other social benefits you might avail yourself of in the UK. But again is something else to check out.
The best advice I can give you is, give US SS a call...they can definitely give you the answers you seek and you can also request a 'statement of benefits', that will be mailed to you. I'm thinking that is your best bet for the best information and amounts.
Just a side question here...if you didn't work that long in UK how much UK SS do you think you might qualify for there?
Old Mar 19th 2011, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I'd check with US SS, I don't know if they care how long you were married, (didn't he pass away?) You can take reduced pension at 62 I think.
Do you get the annual statements?
No. I don't think they even know where I am and I must get my SSN.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chriswinter
Bandrui..
Actually all you have to do is call Soc. Sec...they will answer all of these questions for you...right over the phone. You are eligible for US SS at 62 at a reduced payment..75% of your full SS at 66...not 65. If you take SS at 62 that is what you will receive til the day you die.
How long did your spouse work in the US? How long were you married to him? If you divorced and he remarried...the spouse that was married to the man 10 yrs or longer is the one who will receive his SS. You will not be able to collect a former spouse's US SS..if he has not yet turned 62, I believe. He has to be of SS age as well.
I'm 64, I collect SS...I receive my SS and half of my husband's SS (he was collecting his SS when he passed away).
If I were to move back to the UK tomorrow..and for some odd reason was able to collect some form of UK SS...my US SS would take a hit...US and UK have SS agreements...neither country allows for 'windfall'..as I call it.."double-bubble". One or the other is going to take a hit (decrease, not an increase) or at the very least an equalizing. From what I understand US SS also takes note of any other social benefits you might avail yourself of in the UK. But again is something else to check out.
The best advice I can give you is, give US SS a call...they can definitely give you the answers you seek and you can also request a 'statement of benefits', that will be mailed to you. I'm thinking that is your best bet for the best information and amounts.
Just a side question here...if you didn't work that long in UK how much UK SS do you think you might qualify for there?
Thank you so much for that Chris. I will do my timeline first then give them a call. He did remarry (his childhood sweetheart who used to make obscene phone calls to me when he returned from England with me ) and they have been together for many years. On the other hand he was on a USAFSS base in UK which is considered US territory.
I am not expecting much from the UK in contributions based income but hoping, if necessary, that there is some sort of income benefit. Perhaps not.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

No. I don't think they even know where I am and I must get my SSN.
Did you lose your US SS card? If you call US SS they will tell you what steps to take in order to find out your SSN. You won't be able to get a 'statement of benefits' without your US SSN.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.