Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Retirement - US Soc Sec, UK Nat Ins, and the Totalization Agreement

Retirement - US Soc Sec, UK Nat Ins, and the Totalization Agreement

Old Mar 19th 2011, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Retirement - US Soc Sec, UK Nat Ins, and the Totalization Agreement

Originally Posted by bandrui
Thank you so much for that Chris. I will do my timeline first then give them a call. He did remarry (his childhood sweetheart who used to make obscene phone calls to me when he returned from England with me ) and they have been together for many years. On the other hand he was on a USAFSS base in UK which is considered US territory.
I am not expecting much from the UK in contributions based income but hoping, if necessary, that there is some sort of income benefit. Perhaps not.
Your Welcome!
If the new wife has been married to your ex longer than you were married to him, then you will not be able to collect on his US SS.

Still...am wishing you the very best...
Old Mar 19th 2011, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chriswinter
Did you lose your US SS card? If you call US SS they will tell you what steps to take in order to find out your SSN. You won't be able to get a 'statement of benefits' without your US SSN.
Chris, you are a precious hive of information. Thanks.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 5:41 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chriswinter
Bandrui..

If I were to move back to the UK tomorrow..and for some odd reason was able to collect some form of UK SS...my US SS would take a hit...US and UK have SS agreements...neither country allows for 'windfall'..as I call it.."double-bubble". One or the other is going to take a hit (decrease, not an increase) or at the very least an equalizing.
The "hit" only occurs on US SS and then only if you receive benefits paid for with wages that you didn't pay SS on and you have less than 30 years of US SS payments. So if you work in the USA for 30 years paying SS and continue your voluntary Class 2 NI payments it's possible to get full US SS and full UK state pension. If you get UK state pension and have less than 30 years of US SS contributions your US SS will be reduced. This is the Wind Fall Elimination provision. However, the UK doesn't care about any US SS you get and the UK basic state pension is based only on your number of years of contributions.

Given that Class 2 NI is 2.10 pounds a week it's a great deal and every expat should be making these voluntary contributions. I have 5 years left until I reach 30 years of Class 2 NI and I'll have paid about 3250 pounds in total. In today's money assuming the new pension law takes effect that will get me a 7280 pounds a year UK basic pension. Also in today's money and converting into pounds the WEP would reduce my US SS by 2625 pounds a year. So by spending 3250 pounds over 30 years I end up 4655 pounds better off each year.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
The "hit" only occurs on US SS and then only if you receive benefits paid for with wages that you didn't pay SS on and you have less than 30 years of US SS payments. So if you work in the USA for 30 years paying SS and continue your voluntary Class 2 NI payments it's possible to get full US SS and full UK state pension. If you get UK state pension and have less than 30 years of US SS contributions your US SS will be reduced. This is the Wind Fall Elimination provision. However, the UK doesn't care about any US SS you get and the UK basic state pension is based only on your number of years of contributions.

Given that Class 2 NI is 2.10 pounds a week it's a great deal and every expat should be making these voluntary contributions. I have 5 years left until I reach 30 years of Class 2 NI and I'll have paid about 3250 pounds in total. In today's money assuming the new pension law takes effect that will get me a 7280 pounds a year UK basic pension. Also in today's money and converting into pounds the WEP would reduce my US SS by 2625 pounds a year. So by spending 3250 pounds over 30 years I end up 4655 pounds better off each year.
That's very interesting Nun. Can I pay my NI contributions as a lump sum or do they have to be paid for over time? It would seem to make sense to take money from my house sale when that happens and pay it into NI contributions.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 2:02 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
That's very interesting Nun. Can I pay my NI contributions as a lump sum or do they have to be paid for over time? It would seem to make sense to take money from my house sale when that happens and pay it into NI contributions.
You can pay for the most recent six years retroactively.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

Tahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really nice

Originally Posted by nun

Hi

Having looked at the definitions of the different classes of NI contributions:

http://www.fool.co.uk/Your-Money/gui...Insurance.aspx

it appears that one needs to make Class 3 payments to top up one's NIC payments? Class 2 (along with Class 4) are for self-employed folk.

Class 3 payments are UKP12.05/week this year.

Am I confused?

If so, it wouldn't be for the first time on this subject!

Tahiti
Old Mar 21st 2011, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
general rule is 6 years, but there are some special circumstances where you can get an additional 6. This leaflet gives
and example of on such situation.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_180385.pdf
So if you pay in, say, six years, how much pension does that get you? 1/5?
Old Mar 21st 2011, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by windsong
So if you pay in, say, six years, how much pension does that get you? 1/5?
There are certain conditions now where you can pay an extra 6 years (12 in all). best to go to Ni site and follow the links because I can't quite remember the conditions. I think you have to have a certain number of years of contributions.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

This is a bit long so apologies for that, and for if this duplicates information already on this thread (I must read the whole thread at some point) but I thought this info fromthe US Soc Sec site might be of interest to people like me who have split their working career between US and another country or countries:

Totalization Benefits
The Problem of Gaps in Benefit Protection

In addition to providing better Social Security coverage for active workers, international Social Security agreements help assure continuity of benefit protection for persons who have acquired Social Security credits under the system of the United States and the system of another country.
Workers who have divided their careers between the United States and a foreign country sometimes fail to qualify for retirement, survivors or disability insurance benefits (pensions) from one or both countries because they have not worked long enough or recently enough to meet minimum eligibility requirements. Under an agreement, such workers may qualify for partial U.S. or foreign benefits based on combined, or "totalized," coverage credits from both countries.

To qualify for benefits under the U.S. Social Security program, a worker must have earned enough work credits, called quarters of coverage, to meet specified "insured status requirements." For example, a worker who attains age 62 in 1991 or later generally needs 40 calendar quarters of coverage to be insured for retirement benefits. Under a Totalization agreement, if a worker has some U.S. coverage but not enough to qualify for benefits, SSA will count periods of coverage that the worker has earned under the Social Security program of an agreement country. In the same way, a country party to an agreement with the United States will take into account a worker's coverage under the U.S. program if it is needed to qualify for that country's Social Security benefits. If the combined credits in the two countries enable the worker to meet the eligibility requirements, a partial benefit can then be paid, which is based on the proportion of the worker's total career completed in the paying country.

The agreements allow SSA to totalize U.S. and foreign coverage credits only if the worker has at least six quarters of U.S. coverage. Similarly, a person may need a minimum amount of coverage under the foreign system in order to have U.S. coverage counted toward meeting the foreign benefit eligibility requirements.

Filing Totalization Benefit Claims People generally do not need to take action concerning Totalization benefits under an agreement until they are ready to file a claim for retirement, survivors or disability benefits. A person who wishes to file a claim for benefits under a Totalization agreement may do so at any Social Security office in the United States or the foreign country.

Conclusion International Social Security agreements are advantageous both for persons who are working now and for those whose working careers are over. For current workers, the agreements eliminate the dual contributions they might otherwise be paying to the Social Security systems of both the United States and another country. For persons who have worked both in the United States and abroad, and who are now retired, disabled, or deceased, the agreements often result in the payment of benefits to which the worker or the worker's family members would not otherwise have become entitled.
The agreements also favorably affect the profitability and competitive position of companies with foreign operations by reducing their cost of doing business abroad. Companies with personnel stationed abroad are encouraged to take advantage of these agreements to reduce their tax burden.

Anyone who would like more information about the United States' Social Security Totalization agreements program--including details about specific agreements that are in force--should write to:

SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION
Office of International Programs
P.O. Box 17741
Baltimore, Maryland 21235-7741
USA
Old Mar 21st 2011, 11:50 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tahiti_Bound
Hi

Having looked at the definitions of the different classes of NI contributions:

http://www.fool.co.uk/Your-Money/gui...Insurance.aspx

it appears that one needs to make Class 3 payments to top up one's NIC payments? Class 2 (along with Class 4) are for self-employed folk.

Class 3 payments are UKP12.05/week this year.

Am I confused?

If so, it wouldn't be for the first time on this subject!

Tahiti
Whatever Class of NI you are paying you can make top up contributions. If you work for a foreign employer abroad then you probably qualify to make Class 2 contributions.
Old May 12th 2011, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

I'm planning to return to the UK when I reach UK pension age 65/66. Would it be prudent to claim US pension at 62, reduce my annual earnings to the minimum allowed without penalty and increase my wifes earnings to compensate? She's five years younger than me.

All a bit of a minefield isn't it.
Old May 13th 2011, 12:58 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
I'm planning to return to the UK when I reach UK pension age 65/66. Would it be prudent to claim US pension at 62, reduce my annual earnings to the minimum allowed without penalty and increase my wifes earnings to compensate? She's five years younger than me.

All a bit of a minefield isn't it.
If you can afford it deferring SS until 70 might be an idea. You'll get a bigger check and it will give you more opportunity to make IRA withdrawals to spend or transfer to a ROTH before RMDs kick in.
Old May 14th 2011, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
If you can afford it deferring SS until 70 might be an idea. You'll get a bigger check and it will give you more opportunity to make IRA withdrawals to spend or transfer to a ROTH before RMDs kick in.
Not sure I'd want to wait that long, I can forsee both UK & US governments changing the goalposts regarding pension payouts in the not too distant future. I am eligible for both UK & US pensions. From what I understand, when both pensions payout there is a reduction in benefit from one pension. As I can claim the US pension 3 years before I can claim the UK pension, does it make sense to have the maximum allowed for 3 years from the US pension before the UK pension kicks in.

.......... or am I barking up the wrong tree.
Old May 16th 2011, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tina, I spoke to the Uk International pensions group in Newcastle yesterday. The correct phone number is 011 44 191 218 7777. I had called the other number ending in 2010 which is in Swansea and they transferred me as I had the wrong number. They are open from 8am to 8pm local time to allow for calls from overseas.
(It was very heart warming to hear a lilting Welsh accent followed by a lovely Geordie accent.)
I had worked about 3 years in the UK and was told that I would likely get nothing from UK pensions. They said that the minimum requirement is 10 years and even if I purchased 6 years (the max) of NI contributions, I would not have enough and since I would be getting a pension from another country would not qualify under the totalisation agreement. However they did say they would fill out my request and forward it to another department who would investigate and send me a letter.
Now I am already pension age so it may be different for you if you have time to accumulate more years.
Good luck!
Old Jun 10th 2011, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Well I received the letter from pensions last week and it was "What happens if you defer receiving your pension" but that wasn't the question I asked. I wanted to know if I could buy enough back years to qualify for a UK pension.

I phoned again and explained the issue and am assured that they will send me a letter detailing this.

On the plus side, apparently I am eligible right now for a lump sum payment of £46 and a weekly benefit of .44p. Whoopee!

Shall see what this next letter has to say.

Note to Pension Info seekeers: Rules for UK pension may vary according to the year of birth so be sure to investigate your own personal situtation. It is only a phone call away (see previous threads).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.