Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Retirement - US Soc Sec, UK Nat Ins, and the Totalization Agreement

Retirement - US Soc Sec, UK Nat Ins, and the Totalization Agreement

Old Mar 13th 2011, 10:48 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retirement - US Soc Sec, UK Nat Ins, and the Totalization Agreement

Originally Posted by windsong
Yes, I did work in the UK for 2-3 years and all the way through university, so I do need to get a forecast. How would I get one?
International Pension Centre
Tyneview Park
Whitley Road
Benton
Newcastle Upon Tyne
NE98 1BA

If you know your NI number it would be helpful.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

Tahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mallory
Tyneview Park
Whitley Road
Benton
Newcastle Upon Tyne
NE98 1BA

Hi Windsong

You may also find using the State Pension Profiler helpful:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensions...sion/DG_184319

About three quarters the way down the page there is an orange button to click on ...

I think you have to have contributed to NI for at least 10 years to get anything though ....

All the best

Tahiti
Old Mar 14th 2011, 12:05 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tahiti_Bound
Hi Windsong

About three quarters the way down the page there is an orange button to click on ...

I think you have to have contributed to NI for at least 10 years to get anything though ....

All the best

Tahiti
That rule has been changed. You now get 1/30th of a pension, for every year worked.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

Tahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really nice

That rule has been changed. You now get 1/30th of a pension, for every year worked.
Doh!

Your are correct of course ....
Old Mar 14th 2011, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Sometimes I think the more info I get, the more confusing this becomes

If I were to retire at 62 and take the reduced SS, I assume that figure would stay the same right through until the day I die (except for increases by law). It just occurred to me that perhaps if I retire at 62, take the reduced figure, that just "perhaps" when I turn 66 it would go back to the FULL amount, but I hardly think so.
If one takes the reduced SS amt at 62, that is where it stays...always. It does not increase to full amount at 66. For as long as I can remember SS got a small increase every January. But for the last 2 yrs..2010 & 2011, there as been no increase for anyone receiving social security checks. You can read here why there have been no increases for the past 2 years.
http://money.cnn.com/2010/10/15/news...ment/index.htm

Hope this information is of help to you.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Tyneview Park
Whitley Road
Benton
Newcastle Upon Tyne
NE98 1BA

Yes, I still have my card Thank you.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tahiti_Bound
Hi Windsong

All the best

Tahiti
I know I don't have ten years in but it will be good to see where I stand. Thank you.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 4:51 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Re option No. 2, is this if you are a UK citizen working over in the US for a while - or does this pertain to expats who have lived in the US for a number of years and wish to keep up their NI payments?
Class 2 contributions are for the those self-employed or employed abroad by a foreign employer.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ni/volcontr/abroad.htm#4

They are very affordable, I paid 120 pounds last year and for that I get basic state pension and incapacity and bereavement benefits when I return to the UK
Old Mar 17th 2011, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nun
Class 2 contributions are for the those self-employed or employed abroad by a foreign employer.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ni/volcontr/abroad.htm#4

They are very affordable, I paid 120 pounds last year and for that I get basic state pension and incapacity and bereavement benefits when I return to the UK
So I assume any UK citizen who is living/working overseas can pay in Class 2 contributions. Is that £120 weekly or annually? I assume it is annually. If that is all it is, then I suppose someone could pay in 10 years' worth and then receive basic pension when living back in the UK. Is that right?
Old Mar 17th 2011, 2:52 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

So I assume any UK citizen who is living/working overseas can pay in Class 2 contributions. Is that £120 weekly or annually? I assume it is annually. If that is all it is, then I suppose someone could pay in 10 years' worth and then receive basic pension when living back in the UK. Is that right?
If you're an expat and work for a foreign company you can pay Class 2. The 120 pounds in annually. You can make back payments for a limited number of the most recent years you missed, it might be 3 or 5, I'm not sure. The Class 2 payments will count towards you NI record when the pensions dept. calculates your pension. Right now I have a couple of Class 1 years and 23 Class 2 years so I'll qualify for 25/30ths of basic pension when I get to 66. But I'll just pay Class 2 for another 5 years until I reach 30 contribution years and then stop.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nun
If you're an expat and work for a foreign company you can pay Class 2. The 120 pounds in annually. You can make back payments for a limited number of the most recent years you missed, it might be 3 or 5, I'm not sure. The Class 2 payments will count towards you NI record when the pensions dept. calculates your pension. Right now I have a couple of Class 1 years and 23 Class 2 years so I'll qualify for 25/30ths of basic pension when I get to 66. But I'll just pay Class 2 for another 5 years until I reach 30 contribution years and then stop.
So if I paid in 3 or 5 years (say 5) of Class 2 contributions, I would pay in 5 x 120 pounds or 600 pounds total. Would I then get 5/30 of a basic pension? Can't you pay in more years than 5?

That's a pretty cheap pension - 600 pounds is nothing.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

I have in my hand a booklet called "Social Security. Agreement between the US and The United Kingdom". (Actually, I also have the same booklet for US and Canada). I picked these up at the local government office here on the islnad and feel sure they will be available at your local govt office whether you are in the US or UK or Canada.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 12:22 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

So if I paid in 3 or 5 years (say 5) of Class 2 contributions, I would pay in 5 x 120 pounds or 600 pounds total. Would I then get 5/30 of a basic pension? Can't you pay in more years than 5?

That's a pretty cheap pension - 600 pounds is nothing.
All the information you need is here! You can pay upto six years retroactively
and the Class 2 rate is 2.10 pounds a week.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ni/volcontr/whentop-up.htm
Old Mar 17th 2011, 1:46 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
All the information you need is here! You can pay upto six years retroactivelyand the Class 2 rate is 2.10 pounds a week.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ni/volcontr/whentop-up.htm
Interesting - I was listening to a public service announcement this morning about state pension, in particular aimed at women and the fact that they can get NI credit for years spent at home raising children. The announcer said that you can buy in additional years "up to as many as 12 years, depending on your age" ... maybe it's a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing (or maybe policy materials not being updated - everything seems to be changing these days).
Old Mar 17th 2011, 1:52 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving
Interesting - I was listening to a public service announcement this morning about state pension, in particular aimed at women and the fact that they can get NI credit for years spent at home raising children. The announcer said that you can buy in additional years "up to as many as 12 years, depending on your age" ... maybe it's a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing (or maybe policy materials not being updated - everything seems to be changing these days).
general rule is 6 years, but there are some special circumstances where you can get an additional 6. This leaflet gives
and example of on such situation.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_180385.pdf

Last edited by nun; Mar 17th 2011 at 1:58 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.