Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Retirement Relocation Question

Retirement Relocation Question

Old Feb 22nd 2005, 2:53 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retirement Relocation Question

Originally Posted by UJ_99
a red state (AZ)
Who says AZ is a red state?

It has a Dem governor.
It was considered a possible swing state for at least part of the last election.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 4:29 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
much like yourself huh.
In 3 years I have posted under 2,750, in eight months you have posted 14,000 so your comments make no sense, like most of your posting it is innane.

If you have nothing of value to contribute then leave it alone, you do not have to comment innanley on every single thread, you are the equivalent of forum spam.

FYI

Patrick posting rate = 2.5 per day
Bobs posting rate = 58 per day

there for you remarking I over post is somewhat redundant, like 99% of your posts really. Resist that urge Bob, resist it.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

UJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Who says AZ is a red state?

It has a Dem governor.
It was considered a possible swing state for at least part of the last election.
But, apart from Clinton in 1996, and Truman in 1948 AZ has always gone Repub in presidential elections. Even in 1964, when only 5 other states went Repub for Goldwater.

There's a big difference between a Southern/Southwestern Democrat and a North Eastern one...
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick

Patrick posting rate = 2.5 per day
Bobs posting rate = 58 per day
You did bob a disservice Patrick. Its actually 69.71 posts per day. I think we need to dig up Roy Castle for a quick singing of the Record Breakers theme.

I'm betting You've posted 14,000 swear words since being here though. so you have him well beat there.
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 2:29 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

But, apart from Clinton in 1996, and Truman in 1948 AZ has always gone Repub in presidential elections. Even in 1964, when only 5 other states went Repub for Goldwater.

There's a big difference between a Southern/Southwestern Democrat and a North Eastern one...

With the massive population influx, I think it is extremely difficult to classify Arizona on past history.
Attached Thumbnails Retirement Relocation Question-chart_popl_graph_1.gif  
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

UJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant future

With the massive population influx, I think it is extremely difficult to classify Arizona on past history.
Then classify it on recent history which accounts for the influx; went for Bush in both elections, both Senators are Repub, 6 of the 8 Representatives are Repub, and repubs hold majority in both State houses. Plus, Repubs have more than a million registered voters, Dems only 850,000.

Although there are a lot of Independent voters, it could be argued they heavily lean to the right.
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 4:02 pm
Septicity

Then classify it on recent history which accounts for the influx; went for Bush in both elections, both Senators are Repub, 6 of the 8 Representatives are Repub, and repubs hold majority in both State houses. Plus, Repubs have more than a million registered voters, Dems only 850,000.

Although there are a lot of Independent voters, it could be argued they heavily lean to the right.

The retirees!
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

The retirees!
That is a good point - if the AARP manage to convince old folks that Bush's new SS plan is bad for them, I think AZ and FL could swing next time.
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 6:16 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder, have you considered Virginia, particularly the Hampton Roads area? It's a very pretty state and close to the Northeastern states - you can get to DC and PA in just a few hours.

The climate is pretty good too. It doesn't get too humid in the summer, and most of the hurricanes seem to miss it.

There's also lots of history there, and plenty to explore. Lovely beaches - not just at Virginia Beach. And easy to get to North Carolina and the Outer Banks.

Just a thought, as they say
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 8:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rete,

Just had to comment about the Phoenix area, since I live here. Not sure if you wanted to buy a brand-new house or not, but in Mesa, right across the street from my condo, there are some VERY nice houses with a basement for Jim and a backyard (garden for you). The houses are about 10 years old, so still pretty new. They originally sold for under $100K back then, so I bet they're still under $200K now. You CAN have a nice garden in Phoenix, you just have to attend to it and water it. There are lots of nearby lakes within an hour away (Lake Pleasant, Canyon Lake, Saguaro Lake) for Jim's fishing. A few hours north or northeast, and you can see snow in the winter if you so wish, and a few hours south to more deserty climate. I've lived in Arizona for 36 years and don't really want to live anywhere else.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Feb 24th 2005, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rete
Honestly, I'm not the type of person who moves. I've been in the same town all of my life and in the same apartment for 29 years. I like where I live and I love my apartment and its location. But my Canadian, now American husband, does not like living in New York. He wants to move when we retire. Well, you guessed it, retirement is fast approaching and we were thrown some new stats by my daughter is moving back to Las Vegas the end of the month.

Comparatively the cost of living in Vegas if 45% less than the cost of living in New York City. Apartments are relatively inexpensive in comparsion to where we currently live. More for less.

We've also been looking at Arizona. Again, more for less.

The only problem: We want to own a home; not rent and real estate prices for buying a house is out of sight in Vegas and the surrounding areas. Somewhat lower in Arizona.

So for all you expats who have moved to these two places, what has been your feelings about the state, the community, job opportunities (not computer related), cost of living, etc.

Thanks.

Rete
Hi Rete
Well, I moved to AZ 7 years ago after spending 10 years in Philly. I like it here but still miss PA and would go back tomorrow. We moved here on a job promotion. Like someone else on the board said, culturally it sucks big time. There is nothing to do here unless you are into shopping, golfing or just plain staying indoors because it is too bleeding hot to go out and do anything. The house prices are going thru the roof. Every available piece of land has been bought and should be built on by next week (at least that is the way it seems when I drive to work every day). The landscape changes daily. Like someone else said, you have to line up in order to get first dibs on any new pieces of land that go up for sale for you to build on, first come first served. Houses here are selling the same day they are put on the market, with 2 or 3 families fighting over them, consequently they are way overpriced. As for work, well, there is no industry here in AZ unless of course you are a home builder. There seem to be plenty of store jobs, a new mall seems to go up overnite here. If I were you and feeling the way you do about NY I would not move here for anything. I think Vegas is going the same way. This used to be the place to retire to, all the snow birds are moving back to Florida though as it is too expensive here now. Only my opinion mind, but if I were you I would stay put.
Old Feb 24th 2005, 12:34 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

That is a good point - if the AARP manage to convince old folks that Bush's new SS plan is bad for them, I think AZ and FL could swing next time.
Exporting jobs means less workers means less people paying into the pyramid scheme that is SS.
Old Feb 24th 2005, 12:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder what happens when Arizona runs out of water.....
Old Mar 5th 2005, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Boiler
I wonder what happens when Arizona runs out of water.....
Sorry, I know this is an old one, but actually AZ has the largest bodies of water in the US. There are almost as many boats here as there are cars.
Old Mar 6th 2005, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by effi
Sorry, I know this is an old one, but actually AZ has the largest bodies of water in the US. There are almost as many boats here as there are cars.
And due to our recent rain and snow levels being well above normal, the lakes are at their highest levels in about 10 years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.