Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

As a retired Brit, can I live in the US, with UK state pension as income?

As a retired Brit, can I live in the US, with UK state pension as income?

Old Jun 28th 2017, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

PatP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default As a retired Brit, can I live in the US, with UK state pension as income?

I wondered if it would be possible for me to live in the US (preferably permanently) with my UK state pension as income. If my UK state pension (equal to just over $200 per week) is insufficient, I could also include rent from a UK property, which could be at least an additional $650 per week. How much income do I need to obtain permanent US residence? And what is the best way to approach this, re the legalities, visa, etc?
Many thanks!
PatP

Last edited by PatP; Jun 28th 2017 at 12:49 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 12:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: As a retired Brit, can I live in the US, with UK state pension as income?

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by PatP
I wondered if it would be possible for me to live in the US (preferably permanently) with my UK state pension as income. If my UK state pension (equal to just over $200 per week) is insufficient, I could also include rent from a UK property, which could be at least an additional $500 per week. How much income do I need to obtain permanent US residence? And what is the best way to approach this, re the legalities, visa, etc?
Many thanks!
PatP
The kind of figures you've mentioned won't come close (or indeed, even cover your healthcare probably!), for an investment based visa you'd need $500,000. If you don't have those kind of savings, then you can look at other visa options on this Wiki page - Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki

HTH, good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 28th 2017 at 12:50 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: As a retired Brit, can I live in the US, with UK state pension as income?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, and welcome to BE.

The kind of figures you've mentioned won't come close (or indeed, even cover your healthcare probably!), for an investment based visa you'd need $500,000. If you don't have those kind of savings, then you can look at other visa options on this Wiki page - Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki

HTH, good luck.
Many thanks for the response. Having looked at the Pulaski's Ways page, my hopes are somewhat quashed. How many times a year can I visit the US for 3 months as a tourist? Would it help me if I purchased a property in the US?

Regards,
PatP
Old Jun 28th 2017, 1:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for the response. Having looked at the Pulaski's Ways page, my hopes are somewhat quashed. How many times a year can I visit the US for 3 months as a tourist? Would it help me if I purchased a property in the US?

Regards,
PatP
The US is one of the toughest countries to move to unfortunately, sorry to quash your hopes. Owning a property doesn't help at all.

You can attempt to visit on the VWP as many times as you like, although the advice is always to spend at least as much time outside the US before attempting to reenter i.e. if you spent 85 days there (the limit is 90 days, but best not to cut it that fine in case of flight cancellations etc), then you should spend at least 85 days outside of the US before trying to go back. And of course, entry isn't guaranteed, so if the immi officer thinks you're not a genuine visitor or are trying to live in the US without a visa allowing you to do so, then that might mean you end up being refused entry, so don't plan to spend too much time there.

But as you are of retirement age, it might be worth looking at a B-2 visa, which would give you up to 6 months rather than 90 days (again, making sure you don't risk getting refused by trying to spend too much time in the US though). Have a hunt through the forum for info on that visa which would at least mean you could spend half the year in the US.

And hopefully the forum pros will be along shortly to help you out, they may have a suggestion for you.

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 28th 2017 at 1:27 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 1:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Might want to look into the availability and cost of Travel Insurance for that period, do you have somewhere to stay?
Old Jun 28th 2017, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

removalizer is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought us Brits were given a special waiver to enter the US ?
Old Jun 28th 2017, 3:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by removalizer
To visit

Max 90 days
Old Jun 28th 2017, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
The US is one of the toughest countries to move to unfortunately, sorry to quash your hopes. Owning a property doesn't help at all.

You can attempt to visit on the VWP as many times as you like, although the advice is always to spend at least as much time outside the US before attempting to reenter i.e. if you spent 85 days there (the limit is 90 days, but best not to cut it that fine in case of flight cancellations etc), then you should spend at least 85 days outside of the US before trying to go back. And of course, entry isn't guaranteed, so if the immi officer thinks you're not a genuine visitor or are trying to live in the US without a visa allowing you to do so, then that might mean you end up being refused entry, so don't plan to spend too much time there.

But as you are of retirement age, it might be worth looking at a B-2 visa, which would give you up to 6 months rather than 90 days (again, making sure you don't risk getting refused by trying to spend too much time in the US though). Have a hunt through the forum for info on that visa which would at least mean you could spend half the year in the US.

Good luck.
That's very helpful. Thank you!
PatP
Old Jun 28th 2017, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
Might want to look into the availability and cost of Travel Insurance for that period, do you have somewhere to stay?
David, Thanks for the comments. I actually wanted to do a fair bit of traveling within the US, but I do have friends in the US who would probably be willing to offer me somewhere to stay. Would this improve my chances of admission?

PatP
Old Jun 28th 2017, 4:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

David, Thanks for the comments. I actually wanted to do a fair bit of traveling within the US, but I do have friends in the US who would probably be willing to offer me somewhere to stay. Would this improve my chances of admission?

PatP
No, not really. The POE officer doesn't care if you're staying with friends, family, or at a hotel.

Rene
Old Jun 28th 2017, 4:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

To answer part of the original question, assuming some way to get a visa (which he/she doesn't appear to have), as a new immigrant of retirement age you would need to budget at least $1,000/mth for health insurance and another $1,000/mth for non-covered medical expenses (excesses, copays, and excluded expenses). Some states might allow you to sign up for subsidized health insurance, but that would probably only cut your budget figures in half.

To put that in context, a figure often mentioned in retirement planning is that Americans should plan for health care expenses (including insurance premiums) during retirement, of $250,000!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 28th 2017 at 4:38 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 4:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by removalizer
You allowed to use the Visa Waiver Program if you are eligible but that is it. Do US Citizens get special waivers to enter the UK? No. If they are eligible, they get to use the VWP as well. Only difference between the 2 is that a USC can visit the UK for up to 6 months and a UK Citizen can visit the US for up to 90 days.

There is no such animal as a retirement visa to the US.

Last edited by Rete; Jun 28th 2017 at 4:53 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

I would also add that it is tough to get health insurance for some elderly visitors. My parents cannot get health insurance to visit for only 3 weeks due to an old health condition. We even tried some independent insurance brokers, rather than the standard travel insurance sites. No luck.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bewildering
I would also add that it is tough to get health insurance for some elderly visitors. My parents cannot get health insurance to visit for only 3 weeks due to an old health condition. We even tried some independent insurance brokers, rather than the standard travel insurance sites. No luck.
Thanks again for the replies. Health insurance is not a legal requirement, is it?
PatP
Old Jun 29th 2017, 10:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks again for the replies. Health insurance is not a legal requirement, is it?
PatP
No, but anybody would have to be completely insane IMO to not have it, given a single incident/hospital stay could bankrupt you without it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.