Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

RETE again.......

RETE again.......

Old Sep 5th 2002, 12:21 am
Mrtravel

Default Re: RETE again.......

James Donovan wrote:
    > That's a very special case. It's not self inflicted hardship like others who sneak
    > across the border.

I agree, his parents were killed and he went to stay with his grandparents who were
probably best people able to take care of him.

A 19 year old is capable of living away from his grandparents in another country.

Old Sep 5th 2002, 2:14 am
LeightonJ

Originally posted by James Donovan:
That's a very special case. It's not self inflicted hardship like others who sneak
across the border.
My husband didnt self inflict anything either though...it was his stupid mother...who we keep contact with to a minimum...because she thinks with about 2 brain cells.
-Emily

[email protected] (Des) wrote in message
news:<[email protected] om>...
    > Emily,
    > research this website - www.shusterman.com.
    > Mr. Shusterman is a lawyer in California, and in a case last year where he managed
    > to have a teenager stay in the US - with presidential signoff (Clinton). The
    > story: this boy was from Canada, living with his parents, while the rest of his
    > extended family (including his grandparents) were in California. His parents
    > were killed in an accident, and the orphan was taken in by his grandparents in
    > LA. The INS did not allow him to stay, and Mr. Shusterman took the case all the
    > way to the President - it worked.
    > If anyone has an idea how to handle this situation - and my inkling is that you
    > might still be faster waiting for LIFE2 to pass - he's someone who can help you
    > with it.
    > - Des

Old Sep 5th 2002, 2:57 am
LeightonJ

Originally posted by Chris Parker:
    > Cp, I have to argue with you for a minute. I know that it seems simple for us to
    > just be patient, and I tried that the first 5 months of waiting, trust me.....but,
    > its easier said than done. Jeromes case is such a unique one, because it is not
    > like he just got fed up with his country, and decided to hop across the border
    > illegally, ya know? He went to high school and got his GED and was looking into
    > going to college, getting a job and starting his life when he found out that he
    > couldnt because of his stupid mother. We are so ancy, because we want to do so many
    > things and we cant. I want to go back to college full time not just part time but i
    > cant because i have to work as much as possible because he cant....and we all know
    > the bills must be paid. We want to have children but i dont dare now, not knowing
    > if my husband will even be here to be part of his babies life..or if he is here,
    > and he doesnt get caught, not knowing if i will be able to support a baby on my
    > wages......so, sitting around like a bump on a log waiting is literally driving me
    > crazy, and, i feel that if some "higher up" on the government ladder knew of his
    > situation, that they might be able to help.....

Okay, I suppose this means in all this time, particularly after age 16, Jerome still
does not have a social security number. He cannot get a driver's license, he cannot
work, he has no bank account, he has no credit, he and his parents have never filed
income taxes, etc. You're right, it is his parents' fault mostly, but after age 18 it
became his fault also. I assure you, however, Jerome is not alone and he is just the
first of many now becoming adults and finding themselves in this bizarre situation.
Marrying you may have been the right thing for him to do, if the marriage is a
legitimate one as it sounds like it is.

There are two things you can do:
1) Write your congressmen and senators about your situation, and support that INA
245(i) should be made permanently available, but only to those who were brought to
the U.S. as children prior to, say, 1986 or 1996 or something. The amnesty does
not offer a threat to national security for children brought here in the past,
helplessly, as it clearly does for the adults.
2) Jerome needs to find a job in self-employment. He certainly cannot be sitting
around at home all day for the rest of his life waiting for the Congress to do
something, maybe. His career options are limited until such time. Depending on
his education and experience, some examples of the work opportunities that may be
available to him include home improvements, property maintenance, business owner,
daycare operator, private courier, doctor, lawyer, etc.

Your situation is sad, and this is one of the unfortunate consequences of the Illegal
Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996.

CP

Thank you for the suggestions! He does have a bank account, however, and did have stocks for a long time. (His father got killed when he was 3, and his mother opened a trust with the money left to him.) Its so funny how this government works....hes paid taxes on his mutual accounts to the same gvmt that may deport him some day lol...wow... He doesnt have credit but.......i dont know, thank you for the support.

Old Sep 5th 2002, 5:49 am
Mrtravel

LeightonJ wrote:

> Thank you for the suggestions! He does have a bank account, however, and did have
    > stocks for a long time. (His father got killed when he was 3, and his mother opened
    > a trust with the money left to him.) Its so funny how this government works....hes
    > paid taxes on his mutual accounts to the same gvmt that may deport him some day
    > lol...wow... He doesnt have credit but.......i dont know, thank you for the
    > support.

How is he paying taxes? Does he have a SSN? Is this a voluntary thing, or is the
money deducted from the trust fund automaticaly?

Old Sep 5th 2002, 9:31 pm
LeightonJ

Originally posted by Mrtravel:
LeightonJ wrote:

> Thank you for the suggestions! He does have a bank account, however, and did have
    > stocks for a long time. (His father got killed when he was 3, and his mother opened
    > a trust with the money left to him.) Its so funny how this government works....hes
    > paid taxes on his mutual accounts to the same gvmt that may deport him some day
    > lol...wow... He doesnt have credit but.......i dont know, thank you for the
    > support.

How is he paying taxes? Does he have a SSN? Is this a voluntary thing, or is the
money deducted from the trust fund automaticaly?
He doesnt have an SS number, but he has a white and green card just t o pay taxes....

Old Sep 6th 2002, 1:10 am
Mrtravel

LeightonJ wrote:
    > Originally posted by Mrtravel:
    > > LeightonJ wrote:
    > >
    > > > Thank you for the suggestions! He does have a bank account, however, and did
    > > > have stocks for a long time. (His father got killed when he was 3, and his
    > > > mother opened a trust with the money left to him.) Its so funny how this
    > > > government works....hes paid taxes on his mutual accounts to the same gvmt that
    > > > may deport him some day lol...wow... He doesnt have credit but.......i dont
    > > > know, thank you for the support.
    > >
    > > How is he paying taxes? Does he have a SSN? Is this a voluntary thing, or is the
    > > money deducted from the trust fund automaticaly?
    > He doesnt have an SS number, but he has a white and green card just t o pay
    > taxes....

Trust fund.........now I have a thought. If he had a trust fund, then he had NO
excuse for not living in Jamaica while he could avoid the ban for overstay after he
became 19.

Old Sep 7th 2002, 3:23 pm
Lester Mosley

[email protected] (marika) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > gardencity <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I am sorry to hear of your situation. It is sad that a young couple like the both
    > > of you has to undergo such hard times. I hope you can both get a firm grip on the
    > > situation and stay tough to last it out.
    > >
    > > Btw..
    > >
    > > Perhaps it is time for you to take back that $1k deposit before it is 'eaten up'.
    > I hope that is not in Euros, because I just read that they contain ink that is
    > poisonous if eaten

Oh God. I must be in serious trouble now.

When I was in France, low on Euro (I know why all the chinese say "5 dollar, love you
long time" they don't say it will be 72 euros, they say 72 euro) anyhow, damnit, you
got me sidetracked.....

I was in St. Denis, poor off my butt, staying in a Forumle 1 motel with just a sink
and a TV that got just four channels, But instead of walking down to the Carefour
Supermarket, I ended up just eating my five euro bill.

Old Sep 8th 2002, 5:43 am
Mrtravel

Lester Mosley wrote:
    > I was in St. Denis, poor off my butt, staying in a Forumle 1 motel with just a sink
    > and a TV that got just four channels, But instead of walking down to the Carefour
    > Supermarket, I ended up just eating my five euro bill.

I am a big F-1 fan. Very cheap, and the WC rooms and shower rooms clean themselves...
I also like the fact that you can check yourself in and never have to deal with hotel
personel. Except for Belgium, where this is not legal.

I like Carrefour also.. Great source for food, AND a bunch of other stuff. They
usually have a great selection of cheese. There is even one in Cagliari, Sardinia.
It is where we stocked up when renting the beach house in Torre Del Stelle last year.

Old Sep 8th 2002, 12:16 pm
Marika

[email protected] (Lester Mosley) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > Oh God. I must be in serious trouble now.
    > When I was in France, low on Euro (I know why all the chinese say "5 dollar, love
    > you long time" they don't say it will be 72 euros, they say 72 euro) anyhow,
    > damnit, you got me sidetracked.....
    > I was in St. Denis, poor off my butt, staying in a Forumle 1 motel with just a sink
    > and a TV that got just four channels, But instead of walking down to the Carefour
    > Supermarket, I ended up just eating my five euro bill.

I am waiting for the second sneaker to drop.

mk5000

"I'm wondering if anyone has clues about the Kennedys of Co. Sligo. My great great
grandparents were Patrick and Catherine Kennedy from that county, and they came to
New York in about 1869"--JP Parle

Old Sep 8th 2002, 3:50 pm
Lester Mosley

mrtravel <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Lester Mosley wrote:
    > >
    > > I was in St. Denis, poor off my butt, staying in a Forumle 1 motel with just a
    > > sink and a TV that got just four channels, But instead of walking down to the
    > > Carefour Supermarket, I ended up just eating my five euro bill.
    > I am a big F-1 fan. Very cheap, and the WC rooms and shower rooms clean
    > themselves... I also like the fact that you can check yourself in and never have
    > to deal with hotel personel. Except for Belgium, where this is not legal.
    > I like Carrefour also.. Great source for food, AND a bunch of other stuff. They
    > usually have a great selection of cheese. There is even one in Cagliari,
    > Sardinia. It is where we stocked up when renting the beach house in Torre Del
    > Stelle last year.

Yes, except when you are walking in one in France, in May, and prob the first
American this secuirty guard had seen and amazed I said "I speak english, my french
is very bad" his facial expression was in total shock.

But Carrefour is like a Mini Wal-mart. Now I did see a small wal-mart in Homburg,
Germany (Saar Region) that was a wierd place, and beer for 25 cents a can. Cheap
industrial swill though

Old Sep 9th 2002, 4:46 pm

Lester Mosley wrote:

> But Carrefour is like a Mini Wal-mart.

Where was this? The Carrefours I have been to have bakery sections, butchers,
etc............. Not like a mini-Walmart.

Old Sep 9th 2002, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

mdmd101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Leighnton:

There is just one person who can definitely help you. Please take this e-mail seriouly and do what I request you to.

Your husband's situation is too complicated to be resolved JUST by contacting your congressmen, etc.

Please CONTACT MR. SHUSTERMAN IN Los Angeles. Someone else on this thread has already give you his website, but once more www.shusterman.com.

Mr. Shusterman has spent his entire lifetime fighting complex cases like your husbands. Also, he has connections with the Senate committee on immigration who can sponsor a bill and canvas other senators to vote for this bill.

Your only saviour is Mr. Shusterman. I just don't she you making any progress by yourslef--i.e. congresman, etc.

Hey, I'm trying to get the Bombay Consulate to responde to my wife's "admin. proc." case with help of Senator, Washington, etc. and haven't heard a word. You need people with connections to help you.

Your case is too complicated, please, please, please, contact Mr.Shusterman right away. --If your husband is deported, life is going to be hell for both you and him. Do something concrete--posting back and forth on the board won't do anythign for you.

MD
Old Sep 10th 2002, 2:19 am
Lester Mosley

This was in St. Denis outside of Paris. right at the metro stop for St. Denis. (Not
St. Denis Bastellia)

But it had a Backery Section, but what was wierd on the 5 or 6 days I shopped there,
there was one day i swear it looked like there was going to snow 4 feet or a
hurricane was coming.

But it was much smaller than the wal-marts in the states, and larger than the
mini-wal-mart in Germany

"mrtrave;[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Lester Mosley wrote:
    > > But Carrefour is like a Mini Wal-mart.
    > Where was this? The Carrefours I have been to have bakery sections, butchers,
    > etc............. Not like a mini-Walmart.

Old Sep 10th 2002, 5:44 am
Mrtravel

Lester Mosley wrote:
    > This was in St. Denis outside of Paris. right at the metro stop for St. Denis. (Not
    > St. Denis Bastellia)

Did you stay at the F1 near the St Denis metro? I don't know if it is still there. I
tried years ago to stay there and it was always booked.

> But it had a Backery Section, but what was wierd on the 5 or 6 days I shopped
    > there, there was one day i swear it looked like there was going to snow 4 feet or a
    > hurricane was coming.
    > But it was much smaller than the wal-marts in the states, and larger than the
    > mini-wal-mart in Germany

That was smaller than the ones I have seen. Of course, they are usually on the
outskirts of cities, near the highway out of town. At least the ones I generally
find. I didn't know you were referring to the size of WalMart, I thought you were
referring to the items available. The Carrefours I have been seem to have at least
half of the space devoted to food.

Old Sep 10th 2002, 5:59 pm
Lester Mosley

> >
    > > This was in St. Denis outside of Paris. right at the metro stop for St. Denis.
    > > (Not St. Denis Bastellia)
    > Did you stay at the F1 near the St Denis metro? I don't know if it is still there.
    > I tried years ago to stay there and it was always booked.

It was there just htis past May. 26 euro a night. We called 2 days in advance for
it. I saw a wolf in the park near by it... and a hedgehog by the stone wall on the
sidewalk. Intresting adventures there

> > But it had a Backery Section, but what was wierd on the 5 or 6 days I shopped
    > > there, there was one day i swear it looked like there was going to snow 4 feet or
    > > a hurricane was coming.
    > >
    > > But it was much smaller than the wal-marts in the states, and larger than the
    > > mini-wal-mart in Germany
    > That was smaller than the ones I have seen. Of course, they are usually on the
    > outskirts of cities, near the highway out of town. At least the ones I generally
    > find. I didn't know you were referring to the size of WalMart, I thought you were
    > referring to the items available. The Carrefours I have been seem to have at least
    > half of the space devoted to food.

I would say this one was 3/4ths food with some Eletronics, housewares in the front.