Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Retain UK drivers license?

Wikiposts

Retain UK drivers license?

Old Nov 17th 2010, 1:53 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retain UK drivers license?

When I left in the early 90's I called the DVLA in Swansea and asked what I should do with my address - they suggested using a relative, so I switched it to my mums and its been there ever since....didn't realize it was illegal - oops!

I've got a car in the UK, that is licenced/taxed in my name, and insured thru whoever Norwich Union became (want to say Aviva, but maybe thats the bus company...?). I bought the car while I was living there for a few months a few years back, and insured it with them then, on the understanding that they would maintain the insurance once I moved back here. They were the only company I could find at the time that were willing to do it. Once I left the UK again, I wrote to them to advise I was moving overseas again, and they confirmed in writing with my US residence address, my UK correspondence address, and a max mileage of (I think) 3000 miles per year. They have the details of both of my licenses (UK and US). Every year at renewal time I speak to them and they send a covering letter with the policy confirming that I am non-resident and reiterating the mileage limit, and the address that the car will be kept at. Seems to have me covered, though I've never had to make a claim....
Old Nov 18th 2010, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by traceym
I never had a problem putting my US DH on mine, for free too.
It might have been because I iz foreign (or just plain strange ), but in the 12 years I lived in the UK, I had a really hard time to find a company that would also cover my German girlfriend (before I met my US wife) and it's proved pretty much impossible to find anybody who would cover my wife on at least one of my cars.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 2:06 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
It might have been because I iz foreign (or just plain strange ), but in the 12 years I lived in the UK, I had a really hard time to find a company that would also cover my German girlfriend (before I met my US wife) and it's proved pretty much impossible to find anybody who would cover my wife on at least one of my cars.
Try Aviva (Norwich Union) - they have my US wife (no UK licence) on the policy as a named driver....purely by coincidence I have her on our marriage licence as a permanent designated driver. I'm not saying I married her just because she's a teetotaller......but it certainly helped
Old Nov 18th 2010, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Try Aviva (Norwich Union) - they have my US wife (no UK licence) on the policy as a named driver....purely by coincidence I have her on our marriage licence as a permanent designated driver. I'm not saying I married her just because she's a teetotaller......but it certainly helped
Heh. It's the other way around with us, even though I'm not teetotal...

It's kind of a moot point by now anyway as the only car I still have in the UK is laid up until I figure out what I do with it, but it might come in handy if we need to move back to the UK for some reason or other.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 8:10 am
Just Joined

BackandForth is an unknown quantity at this point

I still have my UK license withan old address that nobody i know lives at. However when I go back to UK for visits I always show my US license anyway at rental as I figure if I get stopped for speeding a cop is likelynot to ticket me if I tell him I am flyingback to US in couple of days. Also US credit card is better for insurance coverage on hire cars. Keep it as a momento but dont really see what use it is to you anyway. If you go back it makes it easier to get a new one with new address I guess.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

lazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nice

This has been on my mind over the past few days as I'm going home to visit in 3 weeks and normally drive one of my Dad's cars as a named driver - thanks for the information everyone, I'll remind him that he needs to update my status with the insurance company and see if they'll still insure me.

Regarding UK licences, I called the DVLA before I left the UK in September, and they advised me that I should not change my address until I move back to the UK as it was illegal. I was also advised that it's OK for the address to remain my old address (a rented place that I now have no connection to) as I will not be in the UK and therefore will not be driving there. They told me that I should use my US Drivers Licence whilst in the UK. They even told me that if the DMV wanted to retain my UK licence, then I should hand it over - they would issue a new one when I return.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 3:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lazza
This has been on my mind over the past few days as I'm going home to visit in 3 weeks and normally drive one of my Dad's cars as a named driver - thanks for the information everyone, I'll remind him that he needs to update my status with the insurance company and see if they'll still insure me.

Regarding UK licences, I called the DVLA before I left the UK in September, and they advised me that I should not change my address until I move back to the UK as it was illegal. I was also advised that it's OK for the address to remain my old address (a rented place that I now have no connection to) as I will not be in the UK and therefore will not be driving there. They told me that I should use my US Drivers Licence whilst in the UK. They even told me that if the DMV wanted to retain my UK licence, then I should hand it over - they would issue a new one when I return.
I wouldn't hand it over...if you do take a couple of photo copies. If you return to the UK you contact them giving them your details and they will issue you with a new license.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

Mick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud of

Use your US License. Get a rider added to your parents Insurance to cover you. Better still, rent a car with your US License - that's what I do.

Only go back to the UK every 5 years or so. Funny enough, I like Ireland more than the UK. All my smoking friends but one have passed on. I never smoked, and a very fit 75 year old I am. The one who is left lives in Yorkshire, he had a bad heart attack, bum knee and is kind of a hermit. The weather in Yorkshire?......nah.

Mind you, love driving in the left hand drive world, stick shift, love the M roads and the skill of the drivers - pass and move over, smile and wave people on, love it. Had some fun bowing to the Indian/Packastani ladies, husbands looking the other way! LOL. Wives glaring at the old bearded scouse holding hands with my lovely Indian looking Wife in Rochdale!
Enjoy your trip!
Old Nov 27th 2010, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

I rented a car on my US one, just incase anyone was worried. cost me 90 pound for a citreon c4 for mon-fri.....not to bad.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

Mick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ja5on
I rented a car on my US one, just incase anyone was worried. cost me 90 pound for a citreon c4 for mon-fri.....not to bad.
Hi,

We went to Sacramento to our youngests wedding (My Wife and I went to be the workers) $ 240.00 for 8 days, a GM Impala, $30.00 per day, nice car, we did the Airport to Hotel, to House, to Hotel, to Airport, felt like a Taxi driver. One hundred and ninety of a gathering.

About the same cost? Yes?
Old Nov 27th 2010, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mick1935
Hi,

We went to Sacramento to our youngests wedding (My Wife and I went to be the workers) $ 240.00 for 8 days, a GM Impala, $30.00 per day, nice car, we did the Airport to Hotel, to House, to Hotel, to Airport, felt like a Taxi driver. One hundred and ninety of a gathering.

About the same cost? Yes?
yeah about the same, that was including insurance.....i didn't have to use my own or pay extra for it. I was paying almost $8 a gallon for petrol though.....
Old Nov 27th 2010, 3:14 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BackandForth
I still have my UK license withan old address that nobody i know lives at. However when I go back to UK for visits I always show my US license anyway at rental as I figure if I get stopped for speeding a cop is likelynot to ticket me if I tell him I am flyingback to US in couple of days. Also US credit card is better for insurance coverage on hire cars. Keep it as a momento but dont really see what use it is to you anyway. If you go back it makes it easier to get a new one with new address I guess.
What does this mean; how does it help?
Old Nov 28th 2010, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
What does this mean; how does it help?
Our US credit card covers us for insurance on hire cars both in the US and the UK... maybe that's what he means?
Old Nov 28th 2010, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lisa67
Our US credit card covers us for insurance on hire cars both in the US and the UK... maybe that's what he means?
Do they all? I know American Express does.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mick1935
Do they all? I know American Express does.
I don't know if they all do....I just know mine does
Call your cc and ask!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.