Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Retain UK drivers license?

Wikiposts

Retain UK drivers license?

Old Oct 25th 2010, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Retain UK drivers license?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If you've obtained your UK licence whilst not a UK resident you've obtained it illegally. I know this because I wrote to the DVLA a few weeks ago and asked them. If you look at the small print on the insurance policy one of the conditions is probably that the driver has a valid licence. I wouldn't put any weight on what you are told during a conversation...get it in writing that they will cover you when you are driving using a UK licence that was obtained illegally.
it wasn't obtained illegally, I just never updated my address.....
Old Oct 25th 2010, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ja5on
it wasn't obtained illegally, I just never updated my address.....
"You must tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) immediately of any changes to your name, address or both."

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022088
Old Oct 25th 2010, 1:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
"You must tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) immediately of any changes to your name, address or both."

I give up. He obviously isn't going to take any notice.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 2:36 am
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
You just keep it.

You aren't resident, so you don't need to change the address. It doesn't become invalid.
Actually the new photocard license has to be renewed every ten years or it does become invalid. A little present from Tony Blur, that.

However I believe your entitlement doesn't expire, you just don't have a valid drivers license.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 3:39 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
Actually the new photocard license has to be renewed every ten years or it does become invalid. A little present from Tony Blur, that.

However I believe your entitlement doesn't expire, you just don't have a valid drivers license.
I meant the entitlement doesn't become invalid...as soon as you move back, you get a new license card.

I never got rid of my paper one for that very reason

Well I lie, I never got it changed because I was to lazy, but it had it's bonus benefits
Old Oct 26th 2010, 3:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

A long overdue reform.. it never made much sense to issue a non-picture licence that doesn't expire until age 70.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 9:15 am
Just Joined

Tony79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Giantaxe

Though that does say:
Remember, if you permanently move to another country, you can’t register your new address on your British driving licence. You’ll need to contact the driving licence authority in your country of residence.
It doesn't tell you you have to do anything with the DVLA in this situation.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

I give up. He obviously isn't going to take any notice.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 2:22 am
Just Joined

tonylad is an unknown quantity at this point

So what options do we expats have then?
Old Nov 11th 2010, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonylad
So what options do we expats have then?
You take a US driving test and you use your US License when you visit the UK.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 7:00 am
Just Joined

tonylad is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh OK!

Is that perfectly OK then? To use a US licence on the roads in Britain?

What about insurance if you're using a US licence?
If i borrow my parents car when i go back over, is the US licence OK to use?
Old Nov 11th 2010, 7:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonylad
Oh OK!

Is that perfectly OK then? To use a US licence on the roads in Britain?

What about insurance if you're using a US licence?
If i borrow my parents car when i go back over, is the US licence OK to use?
For car rental you can use your US licence. You will have to check with your parent's insurance company if they will insure a non UK resident using a US DL.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

For car rental you can use your US licence. You will have to check with your parent's insurance company if they will insure a non UK resident using a US DL.
Given that some UK insurance companies have "issues" insuring people on an EU license, I think the chances are slim - I could only ever find one company that would have been happy to cover my wife driving one of my cars in the UK and that happened to be a UK branch of a large US classic car insurance co.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 1:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Given that some UK insurance companies have "issues" insuring people on an EU license, I think the chances are slim - I could only ever find one company that would have been happy to cover my wife driving one of my cars in the UK and that happened to be a UK branch of a large US classic car insurance co.
My sister put me on her insurance policy for 28 days...it cost a couple of hundred pounds.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

I never had a problem putting my US DH on mine, for free too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.