Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Retail Therapy :-D

Retail Therapy :-D

Old Jul 3rd 2004, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Retail Therapy :-D

Sure does wonders for ya (not so good on the wallet tho!) I decided at 7.30 to go to Kroger to get some groceries and somehow found myself in Marshalls 90 mins later with a trolley full of clothes LOL. Ah well blew $150 but what the heck - I can eat macaroni for 10 days till next pay check!

My furniture is getting uplifted tomorrow - people in work all got together and seemed like pretty much everyone had something they didn't need or want and my boss is getting it all together and bringing it over in a truck tomorrow - thereby saving me $175 per month and not having to renew the contract for another 3 months. So suddenly overnight I have acquired a dryer, microwave, bed, entertainment centre and coffee table! I got invited to 3 different houses over the weekend for dinner and fireworks and stuff too! I can say one thing - the last few months have been bloody insane but the kindness of the people who have come into my life has amazed me.

I had a long talk with my mum tonight and she is going to fly over at the end of July - I am going to stay at least until October - she's also of the opinion that if I can get on this drug programme I should stay. One day at a time but whether it's here or there I am not going to lie down to this. I went to the gym in the complex and the guy there is going to devise something for me, and I'm going to walk as much as possible - in fact tomorrow Jen is coming over as soon as the furniture is done and we are going to go swimming and take a boat out - and hey changing my diet and exercise routine was needed anyway!

Hope everyone has a good weekend and gets a day off work on Monday!
Old Jul 4th 2004, 1:21 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Lesley,

I see that people's kindness has been amazing, and you have had many things given/donated to you as a result of your dreadful news.

However, with your announcement that you plan to stay in this country to get the best MS treatment, I can't help wondering how you intend to pay the $15,000 bill that you say you've been handed as a result of your treatment so far.

To qualify for indigent treatment where I live in Texas, you need to be earning less than $6800 per year! Indigent means you're on the streets, poor as they get. So, with that out of the question, how do you intend to pay?

As I remember it, your job doesn't pay well over here. Also, your chances of transitioning to an H1B are pretty slim, given that you're a para-legal secretary (aren't you?).

I'm sure this sounds harsh, but I can't see that you're living in the real world at all, and I worry for you. You have until October on your current visa, and clearly aren't going to be doing any work to speak of for the company you're here to work with. Then what?
Old Jul 4th 2004, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

When I said I planned to stay - I meant until October and until I have all the facts to make a decision on what is best for me. My visa is until October 2005 and I have talked to an immigration lawyer and he told me I have a chance of H1B - to be honest I doubt that will happen either - all I am trying to do is consider all my options at this stage.

My boss and several others have told me about the medical situation - many people I have talked to have medical bills higher than me, and they pay a set amount they can afford every month - one girl I know pays $50 a month on a $20K bill - I'm not saying this is the route I want to go down and I am certainly not making a decision until I have all the facts.

Simple fact is that I have checked and I know that I cannot get the MS drug where I live - if I cant get it here either - what the hell difference is it going to make where I live. There's nothing else they can do for it anyway. And you know, right now I am all over the place and yeah maybe I am not making much sense but its hard to take in the news I have had and make decisions like this. All I know is that I want to explore every route until I can make an informed decision and the general attitude of my neurologist's nurse has been so positive (and she knows my insurance situation now) - she told me that contrary to popular belief some doctors here do have work ethics lol and that he will still see me regardless for now.

I'm confused as to what you mean by I clearly am not going to be doing any work for the company I am with?

Originally posted by dbj1000
Lesley,

I see that people's kindness has been amazing, and you have had many things given/donated to you as a result of your dreadful news.

However, with your announcement that you plan to stay in this country to get the best MS treatment, I can't help wondering how you intend to pay the $15,000 bill that you say you've been handed as a result of your treatment so far.

To qualify for indigent treatment where I live in Texas, you need to be earning less than $6800 per year! Indigent means you're on the streets, poor as they get. So, with that out of the question, how do you intend to pay?

As I remember it, your job doesn't pay well over here. Also, your chances of transitioning to an H1B are pretty slim, given that you're a para-legal secretary (aren't you?).

I'm sure this sounds harsh, but I can't see that you're living in the real world at all, and I worry for you. You have until October on your current visa, and clearly aren't going to be doing any work to speak of for the company you're here to work with. Then what?
Old Jul 4th 2004, 2:04 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I only meant that with a situation like you have now, I know that I wouldn't exactly be concentrating on work, that's all.

Personally, I'd have flown straight back home. Having a major illness over here scares me even with the excellent health insurance I have. Without insurance, I'd be back to the NHS like a shot!

You confuse me. A couple of weeks ago you wanted nothing more than to go home to the UK. Now you'll do anything to stay here. It's not just the treatment issue that seems to have changed - suddenly you seem to like where you are, when a couple of weeks ago you hated it.

Last edited by dbj1000; Jul 4th 2004 at 2:07 am.
Old Jul 4th 2004, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by dbj1000
Oh, I only meant that with a situation like you have now, I know that I wouldn't exactly be concentrating on work, that's all.

Personally, I'd have flown straight back home. Having a major illness over here scares me even with the excellent health insurance I have. Without insurance, I'd be back to the NHS like a shot!
I understand - but everyone's different. Since I came here I have done nothing but whine about how much I hated it, moaned about the stuff that's happened to me - and suddenly that's all insignificant. I have an opportunity right now - while I'm here to look at other options that may or may not be available to me and I see no harm in exploring them - and meantime I'm going to make the most of the lifestyle I can have here, that I chose to ignore the last few months, for the time that I am here. I'm planning a trip to Disney with my mum while she's here, there are a lot of outdoor activities open to me that I haven't tried yet and I sure as shit want to do them all now!

Work right now is my saving grace - everyone is so positive and helpful and the job is so hectic that it takes my mind off a lot! My mum is flying out now too, so I'm sure she'll help me decide what to do for the best.