Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Retail Therapy

Retail Therapy

Old Jun 18th 2004, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Retail Therapy

Now one thing I do love about this place is the stores! After getting my quote of almost $800 to fix my air I decided that my $150 I had left over from my paycheck just wasn't going to cut it so I decided to go to the Goldsmiths one day sale they had yesterday and got two cute dresses for $9 each, a gorgeous dress for work reduced from $180 to half price and then with another 60% off - ended up getting it for close to $40!!! By the time I got home I was thorougly shopped out (mostly window hehe)!

Ah who needs AC anyway - I'm sure that sweat gives me a very appealing glow LOL. Actually I have it down to an art now - park the car in the shade at night so its driveable in the morning, same at work - dont use it till I leave at 6pm at the earliest and by then its not so bad

Soooooo, what's everyone doing for the weekend??? Tonite I am doing laundry and tomorrow I am gonna buy a cheap DVD player and hire some movies, Sunday I may take a boat out and stay dry this time hopefully!
Old Jun 18th 2004, 2:43 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

OMG... were we separated at birth?

I thought it would be anice gesture the other day to return someting I wasn't crazy about (yucky black top with dots) -- Feeling great about lowering my store card amount I was almost picturing myself telling Todd how responsible I had been.

But, there were little signs everywhere...
20% I could walk past if I really tried hard
30% was harder, but I closed my eyes and counted my steps to the door.

Damnit if there wasn't a 40% off rack of DKNY!

I actually see it as an investment... if I bought that many tops next year I'd have paid double.
Old Jun 18th 2004, 2:54 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retail Therapy

Originally posted by Lesley1020
Now one thing I do love about this place is the stores! After getting my quote of almost $800 to fix my air ...
Ah who needs AC anyway - I'm sure that sweat gives me a very appealing glow LOL. Actually I have it down to an art now - park the car in the shade at night so its driveable in the morning, same at work - dont use it till I leave at 6pm at the earliest and by then its not so bad
Yeah, my air on the mini van died also...and they want $900 just to get to the stage where they can tell me if the compressor's also bad!! On a '92 w/200k miles doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. I was wondering if I could buy a window unit at Walmart for $100, and put a bigger alternator and DC converter, and just put the thing in one of the side windows??

Of course, we could just go car shopping Saturday.....
Old Jun 18th 2004, 2:56 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by ironporer
Yeah, my air on the mini van died also...and they want $900 just to get to the stage where they can tell me if the compressor's also bad!! On a '92 w/200k miles doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. I was wondering if I could buy a window unit at Walmart for $100, and put a bigger alternator and DC converter, and just put the thing in one of the side windows??

Of course, we could just go car shopping Saturday.....
Why risk it mate.... Take out windshield and put new A/C unit on hood.

You don't want it to get knocked off the door by a tree or anything do you?
:lecture: Brigie
Old Jun 18th 2004, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BrigieDarling
Why risk it mate.... Take out windshield and put new A/C unit on hood.

You don't want it to get knocked off the door by a tree or anything do you?
:lecture: Brigie
LMAO at THAT vision!

You know I was thinking the same about the car shopping thing but I would have to trade up and extend my payment term and with being so unsettled and all that is probably not a good idea! M called me up yesterday (and honestly he called at work and there was no number so caught me off guard!!!) and told me to go to a place called Firestone where they have a 6 months no interest card that they might give me - but darn it would be embarrassing if I got declined! Speaking of which.... that spineless walkover continues down the same path... works, does chores, looks after baby while madam goes out on the town at the weekend etc with her friends and they are categorically not in any kind of romantic relationship. It's so ****ed up. He suggests to me maybe you should look for another car Lesley and I commented well I realy dont wanna be going to dealerships by myself (not a hint) and he goes "well I dont think I could come with you Leslie would do her nut" - good point to end the call!

Anyway - does anyone know how long it takes for your social security number to become active? I tried to use it with Dish Network the day they called me with it (should have card in mail in a few days) and they said it wasnt recognized. :-(
Old Jun 18th 2004, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by BrigieDarling
OMG... were we separated at birth?
Sure sounds like it! I literally ran from department to department getting more excited at each turn LOL. Tried on like a ton of clothes and for once everything was perfect - bloody typical when I had little cash to spend!

Dontcha just love all the Jackie O inspired stuff that's out right now.
Old Jun 18th 2004, 3:09 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Lesley1020
Soooooo, what's everyone doing for the weekend??? Tonite I am doing laundry and tomorrow I am gonna buy a cheap DVD player and hire some movies, Sunday I may take a boat out and stay dry this time hopefully!
Lesley: buy the "Cyberhome DVD-300" from BestBuy or Radio Shack. It costs about $40 but it is dual voltage - highly unusual for such an item purchased here - so if you return to the UK it will work there too. This DVD player is hackable (just press 4 buttons on the remote control unit) and it will then be zone-free so if anyone sends over any DVDs from the UK which you can't get in the US eg. British comedy, TV shows etc. you will be able to watch them. I was dining with a group of expats last night and an Aussie said that her friends in London bought the Cyberhome here a couple of weeks ago and it works fine back in the UK.

http://www.bestbuy.com

http://www.radioshack.com

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks (type in the make and model and it has a step-by step instruction on how to hack it. Ours works a treat, but even if you buy one and it doesn't work, you can take it back to the shop for a refund within 30 days).

As for your question on what are people doing for the weekend...well, first thing in the morning we are flying off to London (yay!) so on Sunday I guess we will be taking a walk along the Embankment, hopefully have a glass of wine and a snack in the foyer of the Royal Festival Hall where they usually have casual jazz or classical music performances in the Summertime, and maybe go to Brick Lane in the evening for an excellent curry. I love London, prefer it over New York any day.

Well....you did ask!!!

I really ought to get my act together and start packing.....