Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Retail Banking ????

Retail Banking ????

Old Apr 4th 2012, 11:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retail Banking ????

Originally Posted by dlake02
My issue will still be moving money between the our various UK accounts, savings and the US. That just seems horribly difficult to do.
Why aren't you using a currency exchange service for those kind of transfers? Xe.com HIFX etc, etc.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

Is that better than HSBC Global View ? There I can move money within seconds between accounts most of the week....

Again, thanks, and I'll take a look at them.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 1:57 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Is that better than HSBC Global View ? There I can move money within seconds between accounts most of the week....

I use World First. It can't be done in seconds. I go online to World First and arrange to buy $s. Then go to NatWest and arrange to send the £s to pay for them, again all online. Allowing for the transfer from my UK bank if the amount is under £10k I can get in next day. One day to transfer the pounds and the next day World First sends the money to my credit union account. Total cost to me is $8.

The advantage is a currency broker usually offers a much better exchange rate than a high street bank.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

I go from my CitiBank checking account in US to my UK Barclays account in around 22 minutes, any time. Costs $4.99 flat rate for sums under $2,500 and the exchange rate is reasonable.

We've been here 18 months nearly.

Yes, the banking system here is 20+ years behind the times. Won't change amy time soon.

Get the credit rating etc as advised elsewhere, it will make life a lot simpler in several areas, as discussed - but guard your credit rating & SSN as if it was a nuclear bomb etc...

... besides, you say you're not here long term... things can change...
Old Apr 5th 2012, 4:00 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Don't forget that you get all of your ATM fees refunded by HSBC premier, you pay no fees for any banking (which you often have to do with other banks) and you actually get to speak to a named person if you need anything.

Personally, I prefer the US side of the Premier service to the UK. I think you'd be mad to leave!
Old Apr 5th 2012, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget that you get all of your ATM fees refunded by HSBC premier, you pay no fees for any banking (which you often have to do with other banks) and you actually get to speak to a named person if you need anything.
Frankly, I've found HSBC UK not too bad - I could do with SMS and mobile banking like most banks have had for a long time, and it would be much better if I could deposit at Post Office branches as you can with most other banks, but given that 90% of my UK transactions are electronic and I threw my UK cheque book away years ago, that really isn't a problem. Free electronic transfers to other EU states would be nice - Germany and France have had that for years and I've always thought of UK banks being "behind the times" by about 5 years (late to Chip and Pin, late to electronic transfers, etc). That puts the US about 35 years behind France and Germany.

It appears that the things I'm looking for (and have been used to for years !) in the UK banking system just don't exist here.

I think you'd be mad to leave!
I'm coming to that conclusion as well - the immediate currency transfer between accounts without charge and without having to go through the hassle of moving money from A->B->C that the services like XE seem to be seems to be enough for me to stay !

you pay no fees for any banking (which you often have to do with other banks)
You're probably right here as well - I've been so used to banks paying me to bank with them rather than me having to pay them to keep staff and buildings that I don't need employed.... That has been another shock - banks here take my money and use it to make more money and then try and charge ME for the benefit ?
Old Apr 6th 2012, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

We use First Direct in the UK, and have spent the last 4 years in Switzerland, who have a stunning, state of the art banking system with top notch security. So it was a bit of a shock time travelling back to the banking 1980s when we moved here.

We use HSBC Premier here too, and their online system is no worse than anyone else's, although it initially drove us mad to have to keep receiving 'next working day' telephone calls to confirm an online wire payment that we'd set up having already gone through their security sign-in.

We have also opened an account with Chase - because they had the nicest iPhone app, and their branch is about a mile from our house - and they've been very useful too. It's really complicated to live here without 'paper' money - checks, cashier's checks, etc. We were car buying before we had our Chase account, and since a cashier's check from HSBC would've taken days to arrive, we suggested paying by direct wire transfer. We may as well have suggested trading our first born child, for all the sense it made to them (but credit to the garage, they went along with us and were clearly amazed when it worked).

I had another banking rant just today, when my landlord emailed to say that April's rent hadn't hit their account. For background, the process using the Chase 'online' (snort) bill payment system, is that each month a check is generated and posted not to my landlords - they don't want the bother of physically paying it in - but to the branch where their account is held. Which is exactly the same branch where our account is! And this time the check, which was generated on March 20, got delayed in the post, and it took 16 days - 16 DAYS! - for Chase to effectively send a check to itself.

But there is a bright side. I've discovered - after a good rant in the bank - that there's a process called 'pre-authorised transfer', where a branch can move money between accounts held in-house. So pretty much the UK standing order, but only if you and the payee bank in the same place. It's beyond ridiculous.

So overall, don't even bother looking for anything like the online banking you know and love in the UK. That way madness lies.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

And this time the check, which was generated on March 20, got delayed in the post, and it took 16 days - 16 DAYS! - for Chase to effectively send a check to itself.
Well, that is ANOTHER thing that annoys the hell out of me here. The postal "service." We had a letter sent from HSBC In Milpitas to Santa Clara. That's about 5 miles. With a "First Class" stamp on, it took 4 days ! So, next time they sent it by FedEx - 5 days !

Contrary to the stereotype of Americans we Europeans have of being very shouty and wanting everything NOW it seems that actually there is no urgency behind anything... at least in California. I suspect it is different on the West Coast...
Old Apr 6th 2012, 7:50 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I currently bank with HSBC through the Premier service. I'm kind-of happy with the UK bank, although it is nowhere near as good as my old UK bank, Smile, but getting increasingly frustrated with the North American side of the house which is a total mess.

I've banked on-line and via SMS/WAP for years - I was one of the first users of NatWest Actionline as a "guinea-pig" (I worked for NatWest IT at the time it was introduced.)

But the on-line service at HSBC NA seems antiquated - payments take days to appear on the on-line statement; nothing is real-time; I can't initiate electronic transfers to people; I have to talk to bank managers to get stuff done; there are few-to-no ATMs that I can use to deposit/print statements, etc. Sometimes I have to wait 3 days for payments to actually appear on my account - all the UK banks that I've had for the last 5+ years have been almost real-time (certainly within the hour) 7 days a week and I'm kind-of used to that service.

However, the HSBC Global View, ability to transfer between accounts, etc, etc is essential as we have UK income and are not here permanently.

Ideally I'd like the kind of service that I'm used to from a Smile or FirstDirect with a network of ATMs, ability to pay in at places other than my home bank, the ability to make electronic payments between me and other people both in the US and outside through the equivalent of BACS (in other words free, not "wire" which seems to cost a small fortune here). I don't do credit, so don't need a credit card; don't need a cheque book; would like SMS banking and mobile banking. I don't need a bank branch network as long as there are plenty of ATMs I can use for free.

Who do other people use ?

Thanks

D
If you don,t end up with a credit union you might try Bank of the West out of California. I have been with them over 10 years with no fees or issues.:thumbsup
Old Apr 6th 2012, 3:43 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan

But there is a bright side. I've discovered - after a good rant in the bank - that there's a process called 'pre-authorised transfer', where a branch can move money between accounts held in-house. So pretty much the UK standing order, but only if you and the payee bank in the same place. It's beyond ridiculous.
Have you not seen the Drew Brees adverts for Chase Quickpay, send payments from your cell phone.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Well, that is ANOTHER thing that annoys the hell out of me here. The postal "service." We had a letter sent from HSBC In Milpitas to Santa Clara. That's about 5 miles. With a "First Class" stamp on, it took 4 days ! So, next time they sent it by FedEx - 5 days !

Contrary to the stereotype of Americans we Europeans have of being very shouty and wanting everything NOW it seems that actually there is no urgency behind anything... at least in California. I suspect it is different on the West Coast...
I guess the never heard of FEDEX overnight or courier services for such a short distance? BTW California is on the West coast, unless the 'big one' happened an it moved!
Old Apr 6th 2012, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

BTW California is on the West coast
Yes - I'm an idiot.... I meant East.

Just been in touch with local credit union - not an option as they charge for incoming wire transfers and cheque books.

But... Bank of the West looks much better - and it's part of BNP Paribas (we had a BNP account in France for many years and found them superb).
Old Apr 7th 2012, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

Chrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond repute

I've been pretty happy with Chase and Bank of America. They are slowly improving their electronic services. I transfer money between banks free (if less than a grand, takes 3 days) or overnight (costs $10)

I'd like to second Bob and Fatbrit's suggestions about getting a credit rating.
Every apartment rental I have undertaken in the last 10 years has required a credit check, also getting a cellphone on contract, getting electricity from Con Ed, checking in to hotels (even if you pay cash upfront, they want a huge additional deposit for not using a credit card.) etc.. etc.. Not having one can bite you in the ass when you least expect.

You can use your UK cards, but it gets a bit tiresome tracking the currency changes.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

I signed up to my local bank yesterday for everyday use and then when I have a more stable job I'll get the $15 a month HSBC account so I can put money in there and then send it to my UK HSBC account online. Not getting charged for using other banks cash machines will nearly pay for the $15 a month
Does that sound about right?
Old Apr 7th 2012, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
I signed up to my local bank yesterday for everyday use and then when I have a more stable job I'll get the $15 a month HSBC account so I can put money in there and then send it to my UK HSBC account online. Not getting charged for using other banks cash machines will nearly pay for the $15 a month
Does that sound about right?
Pretty much.

You know, free banking in the UK is largely paid for by the money banks make lending a percentage of everybody's money to other banks literally overnight - lent & repaid in hours... IIRC.

I guess US banks do the same AND charge for retail banking... So, it is either 'rip off' or e very inefficient banking system. I suspect the latter...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.