Wikiposts

resumes

Old Aug 10th 2012, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

tipex will become famous soon enoughtipex will become famous soon enough
Default resumes

hi all,

how many years should you show on a resume?
i have been in the same job and company for 10 years and before that still doing the same job but worked for different places and some may not be there anymore or if they are different management.

in the uk i never really needed a resume as i am a floorlayer and would just hand out cards and speak to shop owners.

i am moving in a few weeks and not sure if i want to continue as a floorlayer
so i know i should have a resume.

any help would be great, thanks
Old Aug 11th 2012, 12:30 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: resumes

Originally Posted by tipex
how many years should you show on a resume?
My own resume goes back to 1983 - but that really spans only 5 positions during that time so it doesn't take up much space on a sheet of paper. I think 10-15 years is reasonable.

i have been in the same job and company for 10 years and before that still doing the same job but worked for different places and some may not be there anymore or if they are different management.
Whether the company or management is there or not is irrelevant. It's part of your work history - include it.

Best of luck to you.

Ian
Old Aug 11th 2012, 12:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: resumes

Depends entirely on the type of work you're doing...some industries it's a case of listing the last 3-5 most recent places, others can be more.

For what you're doing, perhaps consider listing out your experiences as if you are a indie contractor, so you can list clients by date with a line or two of what you did for them, certainly easier if you've got a lot of places before your 10 year stint