British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Resume writing services (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/resume-writing-services-627688/)

dave_the_leg Aug 26th 2009 5:17 pm

Resume writing services

I'm desperately struggling to get my resume down to 2 pages without cutting out important information or making it look all crammed in.

Does anyone have any experience of professional resume writing services? Are there any you would recommend?

Thanks

Bob Aug 26th 2009 7:12 pm

Re: Resume writing services

What career field you in? Most are a bit rubbish unless it's in a specific field, programmers, medicine etc.

If your doing a tech one, just highlight positions and skills, the rest you can bring up in a interview or offer as further detailed information on request.

dave_the_leg Aug 26th 2009 9:50 pm

Should have mentioned something about my - background.

Principal Engineer working in optics and electronics for precision instruments

caleyjag Aug 27th 2009 2:24 am

Originally Posted by dave_the_leg (Post 7877818)
Should have mentioned something about my - background.

Principal Engineer working in optics and electronics for precision instruments

Hi.

I'm an optics guy, and I've successfully navigated this area before. If you want you can send it to me and I will have a look.

My services are free.

[email protected]

dbj1000 Aug 27th 2009 2:29 am

Originally Posted by caleyjag (Post 7878328)
Hi.

I'm an optics guy, and I've successfully navigated this area before. If you want you can send it to me and I will have a look.

My services are free.

[email protected]

You're in optics? So am I. How odd - for some reason I thought you were in bioengineering of some sort.

I wouldn't be much help on the resume front though - mine desperately needs updating!

caleyjag Aug 27th 2009 2:39 am

Originally Posted by dbj1000 (Post 7878338)
You're in optics? So am I. How odd - for some reason I thought you were in bioengineering of some sort.

I am.

I work for a big biotech company.......on their optics.

AdobePinon Aug 27th 2009 2:50 am

Originally Posted by dave_the_leg (Post 7877330)
I'm desperately struggling to get my resume down to 2 pages without cutting out important information or making it look all crammed in.

Does anyone have any experience of professional resume writing services? Are there any you would recommend?

Thanks

In optics, you'll probably want a long one (think CV) AND a short one. Use each at the appropriate time. The key is to remember that the résumé is only to get you the interview, and that you should always send a cover letter with a résumé. So simply prioritize. For example, detail only your current position and summarize the others. List only the skills most relevant to the job you're applying for, and those demanded by the ad. Cut down to 'selected publications' listing the highest quality ones, and those of most relevance. DO leave a reasonable margin, use a decent size font, and pay attention to layout, even if these things cut down on your available space - a résumé that doesn't attract the eye will get tossed in the trash.

Also, DO tailor the résumé specifically for each job. DO NOT try and create a generic one. I prefer to keep a long one up to date, and then cut that one for each particular job.

Bob Aug 27th 2009 2:59 am

Originally Posted by caleyjag (Post 7878328)
Hi.

My services are free.

you sure you want your email posted publicly, open to be culled by the spam bots?

caleyjag Aug 27th 2009 3:06 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 7878431)
you sure you want your email posted publicly, open to be culled by the spam bots?

It's my spammable spam-friendly email.

Bob Aug 27th 2009 3:19 am

Originally Posted by caleyjag (Post 7878461)
It's my spammable spam-friendly email.

never thought to use mailanator instead? :D

emailrob Aug 27th 2009 4:05 am

I'm in HR. I'll take a look for free of course. Don't waste your money on services. I've reviewed 1000's of CVs :ohmy:

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 27th 2009 5:48 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 7877512)
What career field you in? Most are a bit rubbish unless it's in a specific field, programmers, medicine etc.

If your doing a tech one, just highlight positions and skills, the rest you can bring up in a interview or offer as further detailed information on request.

Try having to use a resume for a fast food job....

Canada doesn't beleive in applications, seriously a pain to use a resume when your not a professinal of any sort.

BritishGuy36 Aug 27th 2009 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by dave_the_leg (Post 7877330)

I have the same problem, how do you condense over a decade of high-level professional experience and a bunch of qualifications down to two pages.

If you can resist the temptation to reduce the font size :rofl: just cut down your previous work experience to the last two employers and basically summarise everything.

If you can, customise your resume for each application concentrating on your stong points plus things from your experience which you think would help you to land that particular job.

Bob Aug 27th 2009 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36 (Post 7881114)
I have the same problem, how do you condense over a decade of high-level professional experience and a bunch of qualifications down to two pages.

Thing is...how much of what you did 10 years ago would still be relevant and cutting edge now? Now much, so bin it to the side lines.

Saving a company millions and preventing it going under would be the kind of info you'd put in a summary rather than details of the company.

emailrob Aug 27th 2009 9:34 pm

Just make sure more recent roles have more accomplishments in bullet form, and then older roles like those after uni/college can be shorter, snappier, and probably all written on one line to save space. Most employers won't get past the first page I'm afraid, so you need education, current skills, current job, and some type of (ideally customized per application) statement on what you're looking for.

BritishGuy36 Aug 27th 2009 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 7881336)
Thing is...how much of what you did 10 years ago would still be relevant and cutting edge now? Now much, so bin it to the side lines.

While that may be true, a complete and successful track record in your field may be relevant.

Bob Aug 28th 2009 12:36 am

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36 (Post 7881731)
While that may be true, a complete and successful track record in your field may be relevant.

Which is why you state employer, dates, title...you don't need a write up on anything that old, save the space for the most relevant few years.

All that old guff is stuff you bring to an interview, or provide as further information on request not on a resume.

emailrob Aug 28th 2009 12:39 am

Most employers won't look past prior 2 companies, at least from resume/CV screening process.

AdobePinon Aug 28th 2009 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 7881811)
Which is why you state employer, dates, title...you don't need a write up on anything that old, save the space for the most relevant few years.

All that old guff is stuff you bring to an interview, or provide as further information on request not on a resume.

Exactly. You list the last job, and then follow with a generic statement such as '10+ years additional experience in blah blah blah'.

chartreuse Aug 28th 2009 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by AdobePinon (Post 7882556)
Exactly. You list the last job, and then follow with a generic statement such as '10+ years additional experience in blah blah blah'.

That's what I do. :)

But then, I'm still unemployed... :confused: