Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Resume and Interview Tips? Anyone?

Resume and Interview Tips? Anyone?

Old Sep 14th 2013, 2:38 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Resume and Interview Tips? Anyone?

These things vary a lot, as you can tell from the previous posts. Most jobs require a résumé, but not all. It's worth it (if you can) for positions you care about to contact the HR department to ask how applications are processed. For example, my employer expects a full unlimited length CV (not résumé) and a cover letter. HR checks the cover letter (not the CV) to see that you meet the stated job requirements. If you do, they forward the application to the hiring organization who then use the CV and cover letter both. Point being, if you screw up the cover letter (usually by not addressing every individual job requirement), no dice. Admittedly, my employer is not a typical situation.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 1:25 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
These things vary a lot, as you can tell from the previous posts. Most jobs require a résumé, but not all. It's worth it (if you can) for positions you care about to contact the HR department to ask how applications are processed. For example, my employer expects a full unlimited length CV (not résumé) and a cover letter.
From what I've seen, educational and research positions here in the USA seem to require the long & more detailed CV rather than the shorter American-stye resume. Is this generally true?
Old Sep 15th 2013, 2:03 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

We have done a load of interview training here. We have to look for concrete responses like
the issue was this,
I did this to solve it,
and the outcome was that.

Not I 'like to' ' usually' 'prefer to' ' normally' or I 'would' etc as they say that past action is a better indicator of future action.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 3:12 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
We have done a load of interview training here. We have to look for concrete responses like
the issue was this,
I did this to solve it,
and the outcome was that.

Not I 'like to' ' usually' 'prefer to' ' normally' or I 'would' etc as they say that past action is a better indicator of future action.
Yep. Accomplishments are more important than activities.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 3:15 am
Powder Maggot

Originally Posted by WEBlue
From what I've seen, educational and research positions here in the USA seem to require the long & more detailed CV rather than the shorter American-stye resume. Is this generally true?
There's some amount of truth to it. FWIW, I update a 2-page résumé, a 5-page CV and a 10-page CV on a frequent basis. Also, a half-page bio for internal matters. Never know which one I'll need when.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

judesM is an unknown quantity at this point

I found success with the British accent. The interviewer was often fascinated and then we got to yapping about 'have I seen the Queen' etc..good icebreaker. I let 'em run with that one as long as they wanted.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 12:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I just found a job after six long months since my last one ended. Been doing at least three interviews a week in that period.

Numerous interviews, Skype video calls, personality testing etc.
High tech sales. Work from home. Long sales cycles. High commission.

Now I'm mentally exhausted but taking a month to see some other parts of the U.S before I begin. First stop New Orleans!
Old Sep 24th 2013, 12:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I just found a job after six long months since my last one ended. Been doing at least three interviews a week in that period.

Numerous interviews, Skype video calls, personality testing etc.
High tech sales. Work from home. Long sales cycles. High commission.

Now I'm mentally exhausted but taking a month to see some other parts of the U.S before I begin. First stop New Orleans!
Old Sep 24th 2013, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

My goodness Hotscot - that sounds very involved.

Thank you for your perspective I appreciate that everyone - in terms of health insurance and whatnot, is that the kind of thing that is negotiated after an offer is made? I will be looking to cover myself, my missus and 4 year old son ...
Old Sep 24th 2013, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Normally the HR person will discuss health benefits etc before they consider making an offer.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

In my limited experience so far, the roles I've applied for tend to have a 'pre-screening' interview by HR, in which they ask you generic interview questions like 'tell me about a difficult colleague you've encountered and how you dealt with it'. I'm really bad at those type of questions... I'd love to know what they're looking to hear.

I also wondered whether my UK work experience was a factor in them questioning whether I might have visa issues - how would you drop the fact you have a green card into your resume or cover letter?
Old Sep 24th 2013, 5:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoffage123

Thank you for your perspective I appreciate that everyone - in terms of health insurance and whatnot, is that the kind of thing that is negotiated after an offer is made? I will be looking to cover myself, my missus and 4 year old son ...
That's not something that is usually up for negotiation. It's either something that they offer or they don't and it'll cost you either x,y,z for plan options a,b,c etc.

Things you negotiate tend to be salary, holiday/PTO/sick leave, any relocation if necessary, that kind of stuff.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 5:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatashaB
...how would you drop the fact you have a green card into your resume or cover letter?
Stick it up top, below your name/contact details...
Old Sep 24th 2013, 5:51 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Stick it up top, below your name/contact details...
Yup. In my husband's resume, we have a line in his "profile" section that says that he has permanent residency ("green card") and a Social Security number and is fully authorized to work in the US. Technically it is OK to work if you have a green card, work permit, or appropriate visa even if you don't have a Social Security number; there's a special way they are supposed to withhold taxes. But it's a very rare HR person who knows this or who knows how to manage it, and they usually refuse to bother.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bob and Speedwell, I will definitely slot that information in somewhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.