Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Resume - declare GC?

Resume - declare GC?

Old Jan 12th 2008, 4:28 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold
Default Resume - declare GC?

When putting your resume together do you state that you are not a USC and a GC holder?

Thanks
Old Jan 12th 2008, 4:32 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Resume - declare GC?

Originally Posted by Schnorbitz
When putting your resume together do you state that you are not a USC and a GC holder?

Thanks
Well, from my resume it would be pretty obvious that I am not a USC, so I would weave a reference to having a GC in somewhere.

The fact that most of one's education and work experience is in the UK could tip a potential employer off .......... so mentioning that you are a permanent resident might allay concerns about employment authorization.

But I would not draw attention to it.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 4:35 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Elvira
most of one's education....
Thanks

The education section could easily be missed by any reviewer!
Old Jan 12th 2008, 6:33 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
I don't think it is necessary on your resume. If you get the job they will ask you for proof of eligibility to work when you complete your form I-9
Old Jan 12th 2008, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScousePete
I don't think it is necessary on your resume. If you get the job they will ask you for proof of eligibility to work when you complete your form I-9
What is form i-9? I just statretd working on an EAD and wasnt asked to complete one?
Old Jan 12th 2008, 11:06 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adnams
What is form i-9? I just statretd working on an EAD and wasnt asked to complete one?
Go here: www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf

Mark didn't state on his CV that he was a green card holder -- since he wasn't at the time -- but he did mention that he was work authorized in his cover letter.

~ Jenney
Old Jan 13th 2008, 1:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I've always advised my OH to mention in a cover letter that he is a Permanent Resident not requiring sponsorship. Given the work history and education coming from overseas, I figure it's better to err on the side of caution. You never know if employers will simply toss out the resume under the assumption that you require work sponsorship.

Perhaps, once he's been here a good long time and developed strong work history, he may no longer include this info.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Well, from my resume it would be pretty obvious that I am not a USC, so I would weave a reference to having a GC in somewhere.

The fact that most of one's education and work experience is in the UK could tip a potential employer off .......... so mentioning that you are a permanent resident might allay concerns about employment authorization.

But I would not draw attention to it.
Similarly for me. But to reiterate - don;t draw attention to it - the rest of your resume should sell it, the fact you are authorised to work for any employer in the US need say just that - keep it short and in an insignificant place.

I may change this when (long when, at USCIS current crap shoot...) I get my citizenship, however, and ensure it is known I am a citizen...but that's specific to my field.

Last edited by Dan725; Jan 13th 2008 at 5:48 am.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 8:57 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
Hi:

I am assuming your header more accurately reflects your question. There are rules against an EMPLOYER asking until they make a job offer. There are also rules against an employer discriminating against a non-citizen unless the job is one which legally requires US citizenship.

There is no comparable restriction on what the alien says. When I used to see resumes received in response to a labor certficate ad, I did see people note "U.S. Citzen" or "Lawful Permanent Resident" or "Green Card" on their resume.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Glen Ellyn Service Crew will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
There are rules against an EMPLOYER asking until they make a job offer.
There may be rules but does'nt mean everyone abides them. When I was searching for a job in Central Ohio when I first got here I was asked if I was a US Citizen several times during interviews and even had HR and recruiters tell me that they only employ US citizens even though they were just regular manufacturing plants. Since moving to the Chicago area I have not had such an issue, I think because there are far more immigrants here than in central OH?

On my resume at the very bottom I put the statement "Legally able to work in the US due to marriage to a US Citizen, no sponsorship required"
Old Jan 13th 2008, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

I put the fact that I was a green card holder, with the right to work in the US, right at the very end of mine, under a section that includes such things as language ability.

My work history and education has UK written all over it, so I put in. I've since become a US citizen, and I'm going to keep that fact in there.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 2:20 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Don't put Green Card - it's irrelevant. People who are citizens don't put citizens.

I read a lot of resumes and assume all of them are valid for work in the USA.

If I read a resume showing someone with a UK or other background, I see it for what it is, along with their experience etc., and again assume they have the right to work in the USA.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 2:28 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s
Don't put Green Card - it's irrelevant. People who are citizens don't put citizens.

I read a lot of resumes and assume all of them are valid for work in the USA.

If I read a resume showing someone with a UK or other background, I see it for what it is, along with their experience etc., and again assume they have the right to work in the USA.
YOU may do so - but given some of the experiences reported by BE members, this is clearly not the case in general. Some employers are completely clueless and will discriminate against noncitizens even though it is against the law. If you mention work authorisation somewhere in the resume, the person reviewing will know (a) there is no need for sponsorship/visa hassle, and (b) I cannot turn this person down just because he/she is an 'alien'.

But as I said before, I would not put it in a prominent place or draw attention to it.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

I applied for a job in Sept '07 from the UK and mentioned my greencard. It was made clear to me in the interviews that they wouldn't have even called me if I hadn't put that due to the H-1B cap (they needed someone to start Jan '08, ruling out anyone who didn't already have work authorization).

I say mention it, but like has already been said, I wouldn't highlight as the major selling point.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 5:23 pm
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute

When I started to look for a job here and was making a resume on sites (such as monster.com), I noticed that many of them had a series of options about my work authorisation. Things such as:
  • Authorised to work for any employer
  • Authorised to work for current employer
  • Not authorised to work

So on my resume I just have a piece at the bottom next to my refernces which states "I am authorised to work for any employer".

I don't mention my nationality anywhere, but my past experience, references and education are all in England, so that may give it away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.