Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Resume/CV question

Resume/CV question

Old Oct 16th 2009, 2:34 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Resume/CV question

Originally Posted by merz
Is it normal to attach a photograph or not?
Is 2 pages too much?
Should I add DOB
1. No.
2. No, if you have something worth saying.
3. No.

Your appearance and DOB are not typically qualifications for a job. Same goes for marital status, kids, pets, clubs, and hobbies - unless those hobbies demonstrate competence in a qualification.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

CO.Ski is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I work in HR for a large national company in the US
Do NOT put your age,
Do NOT add a photo,
and most importantly tailor you resume to the position you are applying for, the majority of companies use some sort of hiring software, which will pull resumes using a key word search, which allows recruiters to shift through loads of resumes in a short amount of time.
Keep your resume short, only put relevant experience on the first page it is not necessary to list your jobs you had at school.

Good Luck
Old Oct 16th 2009, 9:35 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CO.Ski
Do NOT put your age,
Do NOT add a photo,
and most importantly tailor you resume to the position you are applying for, the majority of companies use some sort of hiring software, which will pull resumes using a key word search, which allows recruiters to shift through loads of resumes in a short amount of time.
Keep your resume short, only put relevant experience on the first page it is not necessary to list your jobs you had at school.

Good Luck
And whatever you do make sure you SPELL CHECK it with the American dictionary
Old Oct 16th 2009, 10:41 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
DH's resume does not include his DOB, but then again he's 60......
Bloody heck he looks fit for 60yrs old, girl

Last edited by Poppy girl; Oct 16th 2009 at 10:57 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 12:19 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Bloody heck he looks fit for 60yrs old, girl
Some of us age better than others,
Old Oct 17th 2009, 7:24 pm
Irritant

merz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by N1cky
And whatever you do make sure you SPELL CHECK it with the American dictionary
Good idea Nicky, and that should be very easy as my Word spellcheck thinks its American anyway, however many times I change the language back to English (UK) it still spellchecks in English (US)

Much thanks to everyone for the practical advice.

Please await the 'what not to say in an interview' question which will (fingers crossed) be posted here.

merz
Old Oct 17th 2009, 11:29 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Please await the 'what not to say in an interview' question which will (fingers crossed) be posted here.

merz
Putting the 'can't' in applicant

The folks at careerbuilder.com asked managers to share some of the more surprising things they've heard while interviewing applicants. Here's a sampling, and here's hoping you don't recognize yourself.

Do you have any questions?
"What is your company's policy on Monday absences?"

"If I get an offer, how long do I have before I have to take the drug test?"

"When you do background checks on candidates, do things like public drunkenness arrests come up?"

Why are you leaving your current job?
"I was fired from my last job because they were forcing me to attend anger-management classes."

What are your weaknesses?
"I get angry easily, and I went to jail for domestic violence. But I won't get mad at you."

Is there anything else I should know about you?
"You should probably know I mud wrestle on the weekends."

Tell of a time you made a mistake and how you dealt with it.
"I stole some equipment from my old job, and I had to pay for its replacement."

Have you submitted your two weeks' notice to your current employer?
"What is two weeks' notice? I've never quit a job before, I've always been fired."

And just in general ...
"May I have a cup of coffee? I think I may still be a little drunk from last night."

(During a telephone call to schedule the interview): "Can we meet next month? I am currently incarcerated."
Old Oct 18th 2009, 1:30 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Putting the 'can't' in applicant

The folks at careerbuilder.com asked managers to share some of the more surprising things they've heard while interviewing applicants. Here's a sampling, and here's hoping you don't recognize yourself.

Do you have any questions?
"What is your company's policy on Monday absences?"

"If I get an offer, how long do I have before I have to take the drug test?"

"When you do background checks on candidates, do things like public drunkenness arrests come up?"

Why are you leaving your current job?
"I was fired from my last job because they were forcing me to attend anger-management classes."

What are your weaknesses?
"I get angry easily, and I went to jail for domestic violence. But I won't get mad at you."

Is there anything else I should know about you?
"You should probably know I mud wrestle on the weekends."

Tell of a time you made a mistake and how you dealt with it.
"I stole some equipment from my old job, and I had to pay for its replacement."

Have you submitted your two weeks' notice to your current employer?
"What is two weeks' notice? I've never quit a job before, I've always been fired."

And just in general ...
"May I have a cup of coffee? I think I may still be a little drunk from last night."

(During a telephone call to schedule the interview): "Can we meet next month? I am currently incarcerated."
Amazing how stupid some people are isn't it.

We once interviewed someone in the UK, when asked why she was looking to leave her current position, she answered I don't get on with my boss, he always complains at me for leaving at 5.00 so now if I get to work early I sit in my car and read a book until exactly 9.00
Old Oct 19th 2009, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CO.Ski
Do NOT put your age,
Do NOT add a photo,

Good Luck
That's interesting.....
Old Oct 20th 2009, 9:34 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

And most importantly,

* If you get to meet the HR goblin-from-hell, do not (repeat) not stab them through their heart with the nearest sharp object *

Letter opener, pencil, flowerpot, shoe, etc.

(They cannot be killed with conventional weaponry)
Old Oct 20th 2009, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Good idea Nicky, and that should be very easy as my Word spellcheck thinks its American anyway, however many times I change the language back to English (UK) it still spellchecks in English (US)

Much thanks to everyone for the practical advice.

merz
Also, make sure you format the resume for US paper size - 'letter' (8.5 x 11). If you format it for UK (A4), it will print oddly on a US printer. Further - make sure you change the 'page setup' to a US printer setting; if you send a document created on a UK computer to a US recipient, and they print it - it will often hang up the printer (and thus all the jobs submitted after it!), saying 'load A4' ... - not a way to make an impact in the place you are applying to!
Old Oct 20th 2009, 3:43 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Also, make sure you format the resume for US paper size - 'letter' (8.5 x 11). If you format it for UK (A4), it will print oddly on a US printer. Further - make sure you change the 'page setup' to a US printer setting; if you send a document created on a UK computer to a US recipient, and they print it - it will often hang up the printer (and thus all the jobs submitted after it!), saying 'load A4' ... - not a way to make an impact in the place you are applying to!
A very good point. To take it further, after setting your word processor to letter, run the document out to PDF and email that.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 8:37 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Just as importantly as spell checking, make sure that you have a nice looking resume when it's opened electronically.

If you're emailing your resume, and have listed yourself as having good or excellent computer skills, aligning your text with spaces does not cut it. Get your tab settings sorted out. If you can't manage that, build your resume in tables to get the allignment set up properly.

Many companies are viewing resumes electronically and even though they may print out beautifully, if they're not visually stunning on the screen too, you wont make the final cut.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 9:15 pm
Irritant

merz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud of

Excellent replies everyone, and fantastic advice.

I am already working on my new US friendly masterpiece
I certainly didn't consider the page size difference, and the fact it would be viewed electronically and needs to look good when opened.

Thanks again, and any more tips are very welcome!

Merz

Old Oct 20th 2009, 11:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
A very good point. To take it further, after setting your word processor to letter, run the document out to PDF and email that.
aye, much better, less likely to have someone butcher it, especially if you go through a recruiter who will try and remove contact details.

Things to generally include, up top and clear -
Name,
phone number
email
address
website

For a resume, Objectives - a few bullet points in what you hope to achieve at the place
Summary - a few bullet points of what you have achieved and if you can't hide how English you are, at least that you are work authorised without the need for sponsorship in the US

Relevant work experience - Company name, location, dates m/y, bullet what you did, more if you've not got many companies, but kept brief if other wise, it's what you bring up in an interview, or if a science/tech position you can include on seperate sheet.

If you don't have much experience or fresh graduate - Other work experience, as above to show you've managed a restaurant or a crew of people or what have you.

Education - degree, institution, year and grade if it's a really good one, if you don't have much experience highlight some pertinant classes. Don't bother with A-levels unless your fresh grad, in which case note subject and specifiy equivalent to US highschool diploma.

Awards/Memberships - list any charters or trade associations and any awards/publications you might have

Misc - Any languages and other cool and useful facts, not that your a world record hot dog eater.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.