British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Residential Parking Permits in Manhattan (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/residential-parking-permits-manhattan-725118/)

Nutmegger Jul 18th 2011 1:50 pm

Re: Residential Parking Permits in Manhattan

Originally Posted by Reena81 (Post 9502326)
Hello,

Me again! :D

Just had a quick thought, I would actually like to have a car to use, say every other weekend to drive to Long Island.

I know it's best not to have one, but I just wanted to clarify... Let's say I did have a car, the only way I could park it in Manhattan, is if I rented a garage. OR, my apartment, had an allocated garage.

Dumb question - Are there in roads in manhattan, where parking is free. (don't hurt me) ;)

Cheers,

Reena.

The parking on the street may be free -- it's finding the spot that's the trick! You said you would jump in the car just to go to the post office -- you would never think of doing that in Manhattan, once you've actually managed to find a space you don't let it go until it's time to move the car for alternate side. You can waste hours trying to find a parking space. Plus, park too close to a fire hydrant and you'll be towed in a jiffy. As to driving to Long Island for the weekend -- did you know that the Long Island Expressway is known as the longest parking lot in the world? There are much better ways to get out to the island for the weekend -- take the jitney, the LIRR. I think you need to come to NYC for a holiday and rent a car for a week, to see just what it is like; you'd change your mind about how essential a car is very rapidly.

NYC really is a walking/public transportation/cab city.

Untitled 3 Jul 18th 2011 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 9502563)
The parking on the street may be free -- it's finding the spot that's the trick! You said you would jump in the car just to go to the post office -- you would never think of doing that in Manhattan, once you've actually managed to find a space you don't let it go until it's time to move the car for alternate side. You can waste hours trying to find a parking space. Plus, park too close to a fire hydrant and you'll be towed in a jiffy. As to driving to Long Island for the weekend -- did you know that the Long Island Expressway is known as the longest parking lot in the world? There are much better ways to get out to the island for the weekend -- take the jitney, the LIRR. I think you need to come to NYC for a holiday and rent a car for a week, to see just what it is like; you'd change your mind about how essential a car is very rapidly.

NYC really is a walking/public transportation/cab city.

This is good advice!

Bob Jul 18th 2011 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Reena81 (Post 9502326)
Dumb question - Are there in roads in manhattan, where parking is free. (don't hurt me) ;)

Just not practical, especially in winter when there's even less parking because of the snow banks.

Get a Zipcar membership, much more sensible.

md95065 Jul 19th 2011 5:08 pm

penguinbar Jul 20th 2011 6:29 am

There is no such thing as a residential parking permit. Having a car in the city is a big hassle. I agree with Bob on the zipcar. Lots of my friends use it.You don't need a car in Manhattan. I don't even have a drivers licence! Never needed one!