British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Residential Parking Permits in Manhattan (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/residential-parking-permits-manhattan-725118/)

Reena81 Jul 16th 2011 12:14 pm

Residential Parking Permits in Manhattan
 
Hello there,

Can't seem to find much info about this on the net. But lets say I was to live Upper East Side/East Harlem, is it possible to get a residential parking permit?

I've been on the DOT website and found something about claiming back tax as a resident. But can't find anything about a parking permit, like how you have in London....

Not sure if I want a car, but I may need to one to travel further out into Long Island at times. Know having a car is expensive, but just want to know nonetheless, how much this would cost to park in these areas as a resident.

Thanks in advance!

rpjs Jul 16th 2011 1:14 pm

Re: Residential Parking Permits in Manhattan
 
A lot of people I know who live in Manhattan don't own their own car but rent a Zipcar or the like for when they need one.

Untitled 3 Jul 16th 2011 1:17 pm

Re: Residential Parking Permits in Manhattan
 
Parking is really difficult in Manhattan and impossible for long term o street parking. In the UES you'll need to park in a garage, it will likely be anywhere from $600+ a month.

If you only need a car for occasional use then either rent one or join Zipcar - they are everywhere. Even if you just rented a car each weekend it would still be cheaper than owning one.

Reena81 Jul 16th 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Residential Parking Permits in Manhattan
 

Originally Posted by Untitled 3 (Post 9499095)
Parking is really difficult in Manhattan and impossible for long term o street parking. In the UES you'll need to park in a garage, it will likely be anywhere from $600+ a month.

If you only need a car for occasional use then either rent one or join Zipcar - they are everywhere. Even if you just rented a car each weekend it would still be cheaper than owning one.

Great suggestion! Had no idea they existed, but yeah, i'd say everyother weekend possibly i'd defo need one.

How about if I considered a scooter? Would that make any difference?

Nutmegger Jul 16th 2011 2:03 pm

Re: Residential Parking Permits in Manhattan
 
Not sure what you mean about a residential parking permit (been gone from London too long!), but there is no permit to park on the street in NYC -- and you can circle the block looking for a space for hours! Also, there is "alternate side" parking, where you can't park on a certain side of the street on various days of the week, so the street cleaners can come through, and you have to move your car. And some roads have a designation where you are supposed to have the car off the street before a snow storm comes. Some apartment buildings have parking garages in the basement or have an agreement with a nearby parking garage (both for rent, of course). Otherwise, you are on your own finding a garage. Which means that, for infrequent out-of-town getaways, renting a car can start looking pretty good, as Untitled 3 says!

deng890 Jul 16th 2011 2:07 pm

Re: Residential Parking Permits in Manhattan
 
Generally speaking there's no such thing as residential parking permits in Manhattan. There might restricted parking for a few areas but for the most part it's either metered parking or free for all street parking all governed by a confusing and complex regulations that are strictly enforced.

Now, there ARE people that manage to live in the UES/ Harlem with a car, all those cars have to come from somewhere. But it's quite honestly a total nightmare- if you use the car regularly then half your waking life will be worrying where you're going to move it to next.

And I would factor in a parking ticket every other week into your vehicle expenses....it just comes with the territory with NYC.




Originally Posted by Reena81 (Post 9499033)
Hello there,

Can't seem to find much info about this on the net. But lets say I was to live Upper East Side/East Harlem, is it possible to get a residential parking permit?

I've been on the DOT website and found something about claiming back tax as a resident. But can't find anything about a parking permit, like how you have in London....

Not sure if I want a car, but I may need to one to travel further out into Long Island at times. Know having a car is expensive, but just want to know nonetheless, how much this would cost to park in these areas as a resident.

Thanks in advance!


Untitled 3 Jul 16th 2011 2:15 pm

Re: Residential Parking Permits in Manhattan
 

Originally Posted by Reena81 (Post 9499106)
Great suggestion! Had no idea they existed, but yeah, i'd say everyother weekend possibly i'd defo need one.

How about if I considered a scooter? Would that make any difference?

You'd still have parking issues unless you were using it to commute everyday. And a scooter in NYC compared to London isn't a pleasant experience, many car drivers are awfully bad.

rpjs Jul 16th 2011 2:20 pm

Re: Residential Parking Permits in Manhattan
 

Originally Posted by Reena81 (Post 9499106)
Great suggestion! Had no idea they existed, but yeah, i'd say everyother weekend possibly i'd defo need one.

How about if I considered a scooter? Would that make any difference?

You don't see scooters at all in Manhattan, and bikes are conspicously rarer than in London, and given Manhattan traffic I can't say this surprises me at all.

Nutmegger Jul 16th 2011 2:22 pm

Re: Residential Parking Permits in Manhattan
 

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 9499158)
and bikes are conspicously rarer than in London, and given Manhattan traffic I can't say this surprises me at all.

Apart from the kamikaze bike messengers!

deng890 Jul 16th 2011 2:24 pm

Re: Residential Parking Permits in Manhattan
 
Generally agree with the below poster....although I know a few people that are quite happy with their scooter purchase. It does make parking easier.

If you get one keep in mind like others have said that NYC drivers are awful- much worse than London drivers and keep the scooter purchase cheap as it will almost certainly get banged up like all vehicles in NYC do.



Originally Posted by Untitled 3 (Post 9499151)
You'd still have parking issues unless you were using it to commute everyday. And a scooter in NYC compared to London isn't a pleasant experience, many car drivers are awfully bad.


rpjs Jul 16th 2011 2:29 pm

Re: Residential Parking Permits in Manhattan
 

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 9499166)
Apart from the kamikaze bike messengers!

Indeed, but you don't see many other cyclists though!

Reena81 Jul 17th 2011 12:24 am

Re: Residential Parking Permits in Manhattan
 

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 9499180)
Indeed, but you don't see many other cyclists though!

hmmmm.... interesting... the thought of not having a car scares me. i dont even go to the post box without driving. Suprised to head you dont get any residential parking nyc, but i guess general consensus is..dont do it!

thanks for the info guys!

Reena81 Jul 17th 2011 12:24 am

Re: Residential Parking Permits in Manhattan
 
wish i was rich!!!!

Untitled 3 Jul 17th 2011 1:07 am

Re: Residential Parking Permits in Manhattan
 

Originally Posted by Reena81 (Post 9499809)
hmmmm.... interesting... the thought of not having a car scares me. i dont even go to the post box without driving. Suprised to head you dont get any residential parking nyc, but i guess general consensus is..dont do it!

thanks for the info guys!

If you live in Manhattan you really don't need a car. You'll find most things you need within a few blocks of where you live and public transport is relatively cheap and convenient. And even if you use yellow cabs you'll find them much cheaper than a london black cab. Those few people that I know that own a car only use it the occasional weekend.

Reena81 Jul 18th 2011 11:45 am

Re: Residential Parking Permits in Manhattan
 
Hello,

Me again! :D

Just had a quick thought, I would actually like to have a car to use, say every other weekend to drive to Long Island.

I know it's best not to have one, but I just wanted to clarify... Let's say I did have a car, the only way I could park it in Manhattan, is if I rented a garage. OR, my apartment, had an allocated garage.

Dumb question - Are there in roads in manhattan, where parking is free. (don't hurt me) ;)

Cheers,

Reena.


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:25 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.