Reload this Page >

Residential Parking Permits in Manhattan

Residential Parking Permits in Manhattan

Old Jul 16th 2011, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Reena81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Residential Parking Permits in Manhattan

Hello there,

Can't seem to find much info about this on the net. But lets say I was to live Upper East Side/East Harlem, is it possible to get a residential parking permit?

I've been on the DOT website and found something about claiming back tax as a resident. But can't find anything about a parking permit, like how you have in London....

Not sure if I want a car, but I may need to one to travel further out into Long Island at times. Know having a car is expensive, but just want to know nonetheless, how much this would cost to park in these areas as a resident.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 16th 2011, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residential Parking Permits in Manhattan

A lot of people I know who live in Manhattan don't own their own car but rent a Zipcar or the like for when they need one.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Untitled 3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Parking is really difficult in Manhattan and impossible for long term o street parking. In the UES you'll need to park in a garage, it will likely be anywhere from $600+ a month.

If you only need a car for occasional use then either rent one or join Zipcar - they are everywhere. Even if you just rented a car each weekend it would still be cheaper than owning one.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Untitled 3
Parking is really difficult in Manhattan and impossible for long term o street parking. In the UES you'll need to park in a garage, it will likely be anywhere from $600+ a month.

If you only need a car for occasional use then either rent one or join Zipcar - they are everywhere. Even if you just rented a car each weekend it would still be cheaper than owning one.
Great suggestion! Had no idea they existed, but yeah, i'd say everyother weekend possibly i'd defo need one.

How about if I considered a scooter? Would that make any difference?
Old Jul 16th 2011, 2:03 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what you mean about a residential parking permit (been gone from London too long!), but there is no permit to park on the street in NYC -- and you can circle the block looking for a space for hours! Also, there is "alternate side" parking, where you can't park on a certain side of the street on various days of the week, so the street cleaners can come through, and you have to move your car. And some roads have a designation where you are supposed to have the car off the street before a snow storm comes. Some apartment buildings have parking garages in the basement or have an agreement with a nearby parking garage (both for rent, of course). Otherwise, you are on your own finding a garage. Which means that, for infrequent out-of-town getaways, renting a car can start looking pretty good, as Untitled 3 says!
Old Jul 16th 2011, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

deng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to all

Generally speaking there's no such thing as residential parking permits in Manhattan. There might restricted parking for a few areas but for the most part it's either metered parking or free for all street parking all governed by a confusing and complex regulations that are strictly enforced.

Now, there ARE people that manage to live in the UES/ Harlem with a car, all those cars have to come from somewhere. But it's quite honestly a total nightmare- if you use the car regularly then half your waking life will be worrying where you're going to move it to next.

And I would factor in a parking ticket every other week into your vehicle expenses....it just comes with the territory with NYC.

Originally Posted by Reena81
Hello there,

Can't seem to find much info about this on the net. But lets say I was to live Upper East Side/East Harlem, is it possible to get a residential parking permit?

I've been on the DOT website and found something about claiming back tax as a resident. But can't find anything about a parking permit, like how you have in London....

Not sure if I want a car, but I may need to one to travel further out into Long Island at times. Know having a car is expensive, but just want to know nonetheless, how much this would cost to park in these areas as a resident.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 16th 2011, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Great suggestion! Had no idea they existed, but yeah, i'd say everyother weekend possibly i'd defo need one.

You'd still have parking issues unless you were using it to commute everyday. And a scooter in NYC compared to London isn't a pleasant experience, many car drivers are awfully bad.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

You don't see scooters at all in Manhattan, and bikes are conspicously rarer than in London, and given Manhattan traffic I can't say this surprises me at all.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 2:22 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
and bikes are conspicously rarer than in London, and given Manhattan traffic I can't say this surprises me at all.
Apart from the kamikaze bike messengers!
Old Jul 16th 2011, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

deng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to all

Generally agree with the below poster....although I know a few people that are quite happy with their scooter purchase. It does make parking easier.

If you get one keep in mind like others have said that NYC drivers are awful- much worse than London drivers and keep the scooter purchase cheap as it will almost certainly get banged up like all vehicles in NYC do.

Originally Posted by Untitled 3
You'd still have parking issues unless you were using it to commute everyday. And a scooter in NYC compared to London isn't a pleasant experience, many car drivers are awfully bad.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Apart from the kamikaze bike messengers!
Indeed, but you don't see many other cyclists though!
Old Jul 17th 2011, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rpjs
Indeed, but you don't see many other cyclists though!
hmmmm.... interesting... the thought of not having a car scares me. i dont even go to the post box without driving. Suprised to head you dont get any residential parking nyc, but i guess general consensus is..dont do it!

thanks for the info guys!
Old Jul 17th 2011, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

wish i was rich!!!!
Old Jul 17th 2011, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

hmmmm.... interesting... the thought of not having a car scares me. i dont even go to the post box without driving. Suprised to head you dont get any residential parking nyc, but i guess general consensus is..dont do it!

thanks for the info guys!
If you live in Manhattan you really don't need a car. You'll find most things you need within a few blocks of where you live and public transport is relatively cheap and convenient. And even if you use yellow cabs you'll find them much cheaper than a london black cab. Those few people that I know that own a car only use it the occasional weekend.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Hello,

Me again!

Just had a quick thought, I would actually like to have a car to use, say every other weekend to drive to Long Island.

I know it's best not to have one, but I just wanted to clarify... Let's say I did have a car, the only way I could park it in Manhattan, is if I rented a garage. OR, my apartment, had an allocated garage.

Dumb question - Are there in roads in manhattan, where parking is free. (don't hurt me)

Cheers,

Reena.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.