Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

resident status

resident status

Old Apr 14th 2002, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

powerpoint is an unknown quantity at this point
Default resident status

I am a little bit confused now. After the interview the US-Consulat worker talked me that he will send me a visa and within six months I have to enter the USA (I am now in Europe). So my question is: Which date is deciding the resident status ? The visa issuance date or the date I enter the USA ?

After I get the CPR or PR can I go back to Europe for working If don't find a job overthere ? And every three months I fly back to USA for some days, does it works ?

Thanks,
pp
Old Apr 14th 2002, 3:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: resident status

I'm assuming your spouse filed an I-130 for you and your visa is an immediate relative visa and not a K-1. You become a resident at the time you enter the US not the time you are approved for the visa.

As for going back to work in Europe after getting PR status (btw the only difference between CPR and PR is that with PR you don't have to remove conditons in two years), your visa is contingent upon your making the US your permanent residence. If you are living and working in Europe then you don't live in the US and it might well be that the examiner at the POE at one of your entries will deem your residency abandoned.
Old Apr 14th 2002, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

powerpoint is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes It was I-130.

You are so great!
Thank You! :-))

pp

Last edited by powerpoint; Apr 14th 2002 at 3:22 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2002, 7:10 pm
Jb

powerpoint wrote:
    >
    > I am a little bit confused now. After the interview the US-Consulat worker talked
    > me that he will send me a visa and within six months I have to enter the USA (I am
    > now in Europe). So my question is: Which date is deciding the resident status ? The
    > visa issuance date or the date I enter the USA ?

residence starts the date you enter the US

> After I get the CPR or PR can I go back to Europe for working If don't find a job
    > overthere ? And every three months I fly back to USA for some days, does it works ?

This won't work. You can leave the US as a PR for a year with no trouble or, as I
understand it, up to 2 years if you apply for and receive a re-entry permit _before
you leave the US_.

If you attempt to return to the US every few months while actually living abroad you
will eventually lose your permanent resident status.