Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Resident Alien absence

Resident Alien absence

Old Nov 7th 2006, 3:00 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Resident Alien absence

Originally Posted by JAJ
The NHS does not work on that basis. However if you MOVE back to the UK you are immediately eligible to use it.

I know, "although I am not legally entitled to UK medical cover" gives it away

i was merely pointing out that i think the system is a bit unfair and wrong.

For example, if i go to the uk for a month and get ill whilst there i feel that i should be covered by a service that i have paid a lot into and received minimal benefit from...

I'm not talking about going there with a pre-existing condition...
Old Nov 7th 2006, 3:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I know, "although I am not legally entitled to UK medical cover" gives it away

i was merely pointing out that i think the system is a bit unfair and wrong.

For example, if i go to the uk for a month and get ill whilst there i feel that i should be covered by a service that i have paid a lot into and received minimal benefit from...

I'm not talking about going there with a pre-existing condition...
Well moving and visiting, a state of mind anyway.
Old Nov 7th 2006, 3:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
I have tried to get the lee of the land on this. One day I may very well need the information. My understanding is: it is very much up to the discretion of the immigration official as to wether or not you receive that status; all depending upon what proof you can show that you intend to remain permanently.

Does this make sense with what you know?
Not really. If you're a British citizen you have no dealings with Immigration on your return and can stay as long as you like.
Old Nov 7th 2006, 9:51 am
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JAJ
Not really. If you're a British citizen you have no dealings with Immigration on your return and can stay as long as you like.
OK, I wont flog a dead horse.
There's one other thing though and I think this has been discussed before but I just want to be sure:

I and my sons have dual nat. We leave the US with US passports. We arrive in the UK and use our UK passports at entry. The thing I don't fathom is that never will they be stamped, yet it is clear to each port of entry that we have been abroad in a foreign country. Won't the fact that our passports have no stamps in them raise eyebrows.??

Ta.
Old Nov 7th 2006, 11:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I and my sons have dual nat. We leave the US with US passports. We arrive in the UK and use our UK passports at entry. The thing I don't fathom is that never will they be stamped, yet it is clear to each port of entry that we have been abroad in a foreign country. Won't the fact that our passports have no stamps in them raise eyebrows.??
Not a problem. If you are a citizen then Immigration should never look for stamps from other countries. In the unlikely event that they do, just tell them why.
Old Nov 7th 2006, 2:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, I wont flog a dead horse.
There's one other thing though and I think this has been discussed before but I just want to be sure:

Ta.
The vast majority of my overseas trips have never produced a stamp, quite a bummer when it came to working out my past travels.
Old Nov 7th 2006, 4:06 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Boiler
The vast majority of my overseas trips have never produced a stamp, quite a bummer when it came to working out my past travels.
Thanks to both of you for the info.