Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Residency, Insurance and driving licenses....

Residency, Insurance and driving licenses....

Old May 21st 2007, 11:54 am
Mystery man...

MikeK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Residency, Insurance and driving licenses....

Well...now that is enough to keep us going, I would think!

If you will all indulge me, I would like to give you a quick summary of my plans. If you can comment on them, I would appreciate it.

So...here we go...

I plan to fly to the US in August, buy a cheap runaround (car) and then take a look around in the Maryland, Virgina and the Carolinas...

I will be there for two or three weeks.

I will then leave my car with someone (I know a few people, here and there) and return again in January, this time permamently.

What I am unclear about is the driving license situation, and insurance on the car.

How can I get insurance, if I do not yet have a bonafide residence? Any thoughts?

I suppose I can use my current driver's license (issued in Norway) for some time. But would it benefit me to take a drivers test and get a US license? At least, with regards to insurance for the car?

Any thoughts??

Cheers
Old May 21st 2007, 2:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residency, Insurance and driving licenses....

Insurance you can get on a foreign licence, but it'll be well expensive, drivers license, getting one depends on the state, and what visa you have....so it's probably easier to use your foreign license and get insurance...but depending on the state, it might be easier or harder to buy a car...might be easier just to rent?
Old May 21st 2007, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Insurance you can get on a foreign licence, but it'll be well expensive, drivers license, getting one depends on the state, and what visa you have....so it's probably easier to use your foreign license and get insurance...but depending on the state, it might be easier or harder to buy a car...might be easier just to rent?
Anyone ever gotten a drivers license with a K-1 (in Illinois especially)?

Is it a horrid hassle? What about the period after the K-1 until AOS?
Old May 21st 2007, 4:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Anyone ever gotten a drivers license with a K-1 (in Illinois especially)?

Is it a horrid hassle? What about the period after the K-1 until AOS?
a lot of states would allow you to get one, but only be valid for the length of the stay, so 90 days, and then once you get the EAD, for the length of the EAD etc...some are different.

I wouldn't have a clue for your state as my experience was up in Maine, where I just used my UK license for a year and then got a full valid license for whatever it was, 7 years I think for showing proof that I was still legal.
Old May 22nd 2007, 1:51 pm
Banned

leonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond repute

you should just rent a car. why pay insurance for a "runaround" car that you are not gonna use? save your money and buy something new or a used car still under warranty, when you return like an affordable fuel efficient toyota camry.