Residence

Old Jun 13th 2012, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

reevesfrench is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Residence

Hello
I hope someone can help me with what I thought was going to be an easy question however, I've had so many conflicting answers that now I'm totally baffled, the question is if my wife and I bought a property in the US, how long can we 'legally' stay before we have to leave the country again?
Old Jun 13th 2012, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residence

Buying a property does not make any difference.

You cannot reside in the US without an appropriate visa, green card or US citizenship. Do you qualify for any of those?
Old Jun 13th 2012, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reevesfrench
Hello
I hope someone can help me with what I thought was going to be an easy question however, I've had so many conflicting answers that now I'm totally baffled, the question is if my wife and I bought a property in the US, how long can we 'legally' stay before we have to leave the country again?
You can 'visit' until the date on your I-90 in your passport, so, less than 90 days if you arrived on the visa waiver.

On the surface of it you seem to know far less about immigration 'rules' than should be the case for someone who has purchased property in the US ... did you think you could just move to the US and live as long as you wanted?
Old Jun 13th 2012, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

reevesfrench is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply, we haven't bought a property this is the first of many tentative enquiries before we take the plunge.
Regards
Old Jun 13th 2012, 3:45 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply, we haven't bought a property this is the first of many tentative enquiries before we take the plunge.
Regards
If you want to live in the US under broadly the same terms as an American, it's half-a-million bucks down to buy your green card and whatever the property costs on top.

If you just want to holiday here, you've got 90 days a pop on the VWP and no rights whatsoever. If you're of retirment age, you might swing a B2 for 6 months, also with vitually no rights. Among other things, it's getting increasingly difficult to do everyday stuff such as own and run a car as a visitor.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is, having your own property can work against you if you want to visit the US. Immigration may see it as immigrant intent which is not a good thing if you're visiting.

If you were thinking of renting it out, bear in mind many Florida holiday homes stand empty for much of the year - at least for the last few years. But you still have all the fees to pay, whether maintenance, taxes, or whatever.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Regards
Ahh ... I apparently missed the word 'if', I thought you had already purchased.

My bad.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Ahh ... I apparently missed the word 'if', I thought you had already purchased.
You and me both!
Old Jun 13th 2012, 8:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, not worth the cost, cheaper just to rent a place for a few weeks when you visit.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 3:00 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Buying property here without a visa can be a nightmare. A real nightmare. Not only do you have the management issues / headaches of an empty property (or a rented property) but you also are a 'suspect' in the eyes of immigration as someone who has a long term intent to remain in the US. Can make entry to the US more difficult.

Long term visas to the US are very difficult to obtain, and the health insurance costs of living in the US without employment are astronomical. Coming in and out as a visitor, with a residence in the UK, will make it far easier on you.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 3:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Buying property here without a visa can be a nightmare. A real nightmare. Not only do you have the management issues / headaches of an empty property (or a rented property) but you also are a 'suspect' in the eyes of immigration as someone who has a long term intent to remain in the US. Can make entry to the US more difficult.

Long term visas to the US are very difficult to obtain, and the health insurance costs of living in the US without employment are astronomical. Coming in and out as a visitor, with a residence in the UK, will make it far easier on you.
Some people I know bought land nearby and have been building a home over the last few years, nearly finished.