British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Researching UK to US Relocation (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/researching-uk-us-relocation-798216/)

Dripfixer May 27th 2013 10:14 am

Researching UK to US Relocation

Hi all, I'm new here and have been researching a move to the south eastern US. I'm getting there with regards to housing costs, general cost of living, home furnishings and cars but now need to look at schooling and how schools are rated (and if the ratings mean anything, lol) and also the employment position.

So - does anyone have any experience of the school rating system? And any thoughts on the employment prospects of a 30 year financial adviser (personal and corporate) who also happens to be a qualified plumber!

Any help/thoughts gratefully appreciated.

penguinsix May 27th 2013 10:51 am

Re: Researching UK to US Relocation

Hi and welcome,

For about 99% of the people who want to move to the USA, the issue of a VISA is the thing that stops them. They are extremely difficult to obtain absent some connection with a US citizen or an employer who is willing to take the effort (and expense) to apply on your behalf. Take a look at this link and see if there are any visas on the list that you might be interested in pursuing.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

If you have any questions about those visas, let us know. If you don't see something on the list than I'm afraid you've hit a pretty big roadblock right from the start.

Pulaski May 27th 2013 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 10726592)
...... see if there are any visas on the list that you might be interested in pursuing. ....

Surely ".... you are qualified to pursue?" :

Bob May 27th 2013 12:50 pm

Got a visa or already a USC?

If not, chances are, any information is a waste of time, unfortunately.

As far as schools go, got to nail the area you're interested in because everything depends on the street you live on. So not much point in someone giving advice on a great area if you don't have the budget to live there or won't be able to find a job there.

And without a company transfer, chances of a job are slim. Your qualifications probably won't mean anything, in either field.

Pulaski May 27th 2013 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10726732)
..... Your qualifications probably won't mean anything, in either field.

If he has a CFP or CFA, they are US based qualifications, but again, with no visa or claim to US citizenship the acceptablity of any qualifications he may have is moot.

scrubbedexpat099 May 27th 2013 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10726826)
If he has a CFP or CFA, they are US based qualifications, but again, with no visa or claim to US citizenship the acceptablity of any qualifications he may have is moot.

Pretty unusual for someone in the UK to have those qualifications.

I think.

I am just trying to think through the marketing for a plumber/accountant.

Number 1 in the Number 2 Business?

Dripfixer May 27th 2013 3:15 pm

Many thanks for your respective inputs. My younger brother currently lives and works in CA on a green card but he has a specific set of qualifications which meant his application was never in doubt.

Sadly I have no such qualifications!! Interestingly it says on the DV website that financial adviser is a qualifying job by rank and points so I wondered whether it was available as a "non lottery" type application?

As far as capital is concerned I certainly couldn't afford to live in the Hamptons but in lots of parts of North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida, I wouldn't need a mortgage so that old take any pressure off.

Do I have a job offer in the US? No, I don't. But do the authorities look kindly on someone wanting to set up a business starting out as self employed?

Pulaski May 27th 2013 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Dripfixer (Post 10726959)
.... Do I have a job offer in the US? No, I don't. But do the authorities look kindly on someone wanting to set up a business starting out as self employed?

Straight-up self employed? No. If you have some money to invest in a business that employs Americans, at the lower end $200k might get you an E2, but you'd need to cover relocation expenses and have some reserves "just in case". Also medical insurance is going to be a large cost, especially if you have family. I wouldn't even think about an E2 unless you have $500k of free capital.

The E2 also has some ugly downsides: no path to a green card, if the business folds, you retire, or you are denied your E2 renewal you have to leave (quickly), AND, any children you bring with you "age out" at 18 and would then need their own visas (student is possible).

If you really want to make the move, encourage your brother to get his citizenship ASAP, and then get him to help you with a family visa, .... then sit back and wait, about 10-12 years! :ohmy:

Dripfixer May 27th 2013 3:56 pm

Hi Pulaski, many thanks for this information. I am grateful. I shall investigate the E2 and see what the pro's and con's are for my family. I guess that if, by the time the renewal date rolls around, I was employing several Americans then the authorities would look kindly on me!!

Much appreciated.

TimNiceBut May 27th 2013 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Dripfixer (Post 10727015)
Hi Pulaski, many thanks for this information. I am grateful. I shall investigate the E2 and see what the pro's and con's are for my family. I guess that if, by the time the renewal date rolls around, I was employing several Americans then the authorities would look kindly on me!!

That is true, but you still have to keep in mind that you can't really "settle" here on an E2. I think it's probably OK for a temporary move but not really advisable for an attempt at a permanent move. Unless you're not married and hope to find Ms or Mr Right while you're over here on an E2 :).

With a family, the part that I would find most off-putting is the fact that children have to leave the country at a certain age (on the German expats forum they mostly mention 21, so it's either 18 or 21) unless they can get their own visa.

scrubbedexpat099 May 27th 2013 6:14 pm

They find a USC to marry, get their citizenship and sponsor their aged parents.