Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Requirement to file Self Assessment

Requirement to file Self Assessment

Old Dec 29th 2015, 12:23 am
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Requirement to file Self Assessment

I have been a US resident for the past 20+ years and have not filed or paid any UK taxes.

Today, I received notice from HMRC that I may need to file a Self Assessment after April 6.

I have not received any such notice in the past and suspect this has been triggered by one or more of various UK based pensions I hold. I am currently attempting to convert some FSAVC's to a flexible drawdown and am guessing this set the ball in motion. Over the next few years, some other occupational pensions and a UK State Pension will come into play as well.

So my questions are:

1. Should I immediately start the process of filing UK Form 2002 together with IRS Form 8802? Or should I wait until I receive the first payouts?

2. If I complete the 2002/8802 process successfully, will I still be required to file UK Self Assessments on an ongoing basis?
Old Dec 29th 2015, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Requirement to file Self Assessment

I didn't file form 2002 until after I received my first pension payment which was a mistake. I also received a letter from HMRC. It only took a matter of weeks to get sorted and HMRC changed my tax to NT and the pension company refunded the 2 months of tax that had been withheld.

That was about 8 years old. As a non resident in the UK I haven't had to file UK self assessment, once my tax code was changed to NT I haven't needed to do anything with HMRC.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 2:51 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

You have two options:

1) file the US Individual 2002/8802 forms

2) if your pension will be less than your UK personal allowance you can file an R45 and claim any withholding tax back.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 3:19 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you durham_lad and nun.

I will get cracking on the 2002/8802 next week.

Happy New Year to you both! And all the other BritishExpats.
Old Jan 1st 2016, 7:16 pm
in Northern California

So I have started work on completing my IRS 8802 and HMRC 2002 and have a few questions.

1. 8802 Line 3. Where should the IRS mail my 6166?

Should I ask them to mail it to me, HMRC, or will they send it direct to HMRC anyway?

2. 8802 Line 7. For which calendar year should I request certification?

I have filed US taxes for 2014 obviously and plan to file 2015 taxes in February.

I'm inclined to request 2014 certification and welcome any further comments.

3. 8802 Line 8. The Tax Period entered would depend upon the the answer to the previous question.

4. 2002 Part C. At this point, I have received no UK pension income at all. However, I will receive income from multiple UK pensions over the next few years. This includes UK State Pension (starting in 3 years) plus two occupational pensions (most likely starting in 3 years). In addition, I am currently in the process of converting some FSAVC's to a flexible drawdown but I have not yet determined which institution will be managing the drawdown plan.

So I'm wondering how important the details of each account really are? It seems the goal is to obtain an exempt tax code against my NI number which should cover everything anyway. Even any incidental interest income that might be picked up somewhere along the line?

How have others handled their responses to Part C of the 2002?

I would welcome hearing from other 8802/2002 filers about their experiences together with any tips, or traps to be avoided.