Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Requesting transcripts from UK schools?

Requesting transcripts from UK schools?

Old Aug 30th 2012, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

clarity1971 will become famous soon enoughclarity1971 will become famous soon enough
Default Requesting transcripts from UK schools?

Possible move to Sunnyvale/Fremont area in the pipeline. Nothing confirmed yet but planning ahead and worrying about the transition into new schools for our kids.

We will have 2 in High school and 2 in Middle

I have heard people mention about getting transcripts from the old schools in the UK to hand across to the new schools in the US. I guess so that the schools know which grade to put them in?

I just wondered if anyone had done this and whether the UK schools were ok with it and understood what needed to be done (and are willing to do so etc)

I am particularly concerned about our twin daughters aged 16 who are both very bright (they get it from their dad ). They have just both received good sets of GCSE's and I want to make sure they get the right credits in their new schools.

Any experiences of requesting and providing school transcripts much appreciated.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Requesting transcripts from UK schools?

The easiest thing will be to simply ask the school and see what they say. I imagine they will understand.

For middle school level I think reports will be enough (that's what I used).
Old Aug 30th 2012, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

rachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nice

Originally Posted by clarity1971
Possible move to Sunnyvale/Fremont area in the pipeline. Nothing confirmed yet but planning ahead and worrying about the transition into new schools for our kids.

I have heard people mention about getting transcripts from the old schools in the UK to hand across to the new schools in the US. I guess so that the schools know which grade to put them in?

I just wondered if anyone had done this and whether the UK schools were ok with it and understood what needed to be done (and are willing to do so etc)

I am particularly concerned about our twin daughters aged 16 who are both very bright (they get it from their dad ). They have just both received good sets of GCSE's and I want to make sure they get the right credits in their new schools.

Any experiences of requesting and providing school transcripts much appreciated.
I moved over to the states when I was entering my freshman year of Highschool (8 or so years ago) Your girls, I should imagine will be either Sophomores, or Juniors. Depending on their birthday. I found it particularly difficult, transitioning from my English School to the American. Their curriculum is set up far differently. The good news is they've taken their GCSE's, so their report cards and GCSE grades should be okay. I'm sure that's all my mum needed. I will ask her next time I speak with her and post what she says here.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 4:41 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clarity1971

Basically high school transcripts just give the subjects taken and grades/GPA (Grade Point Average) obtained etc etc. I would imagine grade reports that you get as a parent each term/year, and their GCSE results would suffice. Have you kept their latest ones?
Old Aug 31st 2012, 3:02 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with all the above. I don't think UK schools will have anything on record, other than the "reports" you get each term & the exam results/ coursework reports? (I still have mine from 30 years ago that I discovered in a recent file purge. There are also printouts from the various exam boards giving results.

The US word "Transcript" implies to my British mind a verbatim commentary like in court. I think in US parlance it just means "the record" as it exists.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 3:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
Agree with all the above. I don't think UK schools will have anything on record, other than the "reports" you get each term & the exam results/ coursework reports? (I still have mine from 30 years ago that I discovered in a recent file purge. There are also printouts from the various exam boards giving results.

The US word "Transcript" implies to my British mind a verbatim commentary like in court. I think in US parlance it just means "the record" as it exists.
It might be more useful to provide syllabuses to show what has been covered in the GCSE subjects.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 3:42 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It might be more useful to provide syllabuses to show what has been covered in the GCSE subjects.
I agree, but I imagine it counts for little in terms of whether OP's twins are bright for their age and deserve extra credits...They will be tested against local standards.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 3:45 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yes, this is very helpful. A "transcript" in the US use of the word is basically a listing of courses taken and grades obtained. In the US it would basically say "English Literature--3 credit hours -- A+" or something. A syllabus would be more like "three weeks of Shakespeare, two weeks on Jane Austen, write a term paper on such and such". If they have an idea what they've already studied they can help pick the course they need and the courses they can already get credit for.